PDA

View Full Version : Canopy,without straps

dnej
04-08-2007, 11:20 PM
My old girl needs a new canopy.
At present it has straps that run down to the side rails,to keep the canopy from folding forward.
The straps also hold the clips for the side curtains.

They are nusiance,and I want the new canopy to be built without them.

Who on the south side ,or north for that matter,can make the canopy,with double arms going forward,that are held in place by a forward support,or ram,near the screen.

David

sid_fishes
05-08-2007, 07:07 AM
david, does the canopy need to fold down , and do you have a pic of the one on the boat atm cheers ian

dnej
05-08-2007, 08:39 AM
Ian,
At present,the one on it now,does fold forward.I only do that once in a blue moon,so if the new one was able to be folded,then OK,but not really fussed.

My idea ,is to not have the canopy fixed to the screen,as it is now.

I dont want to instal clears,but would like to be able to lower the front of the canopy,down to the screen height,when I want to.
Bar crushers have a hard top that works that way.

Would look at a targa bar,in the set up.
Photo of the old one enclosed,before the painting,and mods
David

dnej
05-08-2007, 08:41 AM
Ian,
I just noticed,the strap in the pic,is just hanging there ,and not attached to the boat.It normally would be pulled towards the stern.
David

dnej
05-08-2007, 09:44 AM
Something similar to this one,except the front would be able to pull down to the screen.
David

dnej
05-08-2007, 06:31 PM
Any recommendations on a company,that could do the job?
David

sid_fishes
05-08-2007, 08:51 PM
mate i,m not sure as to why you would want to pull it down, why not have clears? i think southern stainless at labrador, greens at yatla or boatfit at ashmore on the coast would be a starting point. then pm me cheers ian

sid_fishes
05-08-2007, 09:00 PM
the more i look , david you dont want clears but to make it fold down to the screen thats a hard one . i know barcrusher have a hardtop, but i thought it folded down away from the screen cheers ian

dnej
05-08-2007, 09:09 PM
Ian,
The Bar Crusher hard top,I looked at,sits on rams near the screen,You grab the handle,and pull it down onto the screen,and lock it in place with a rubber keeper.

The whole unit does fold down for storage.
I see no reason why I cannot adapt that idea ,but in a soft top. I have been looking at the principle for some time,before I saw it on the Bar crusher.

Need to talk to someone who knows what they are doing,as it will be different,for sure.
David

06-08-2007, 12:31 PM
not sure if it helps but you can buy a pre made cover like the one in the pic with the rocket launcher, for about $519.00 (i am looking at getting one) although it doenst really fold down to the screen.. but it might be an option.. you can set the hight of it so keep it lowish and it shouldnt let to much water through..

Stumpthumpa
06-08-2007, 12:54 PM
I saw these guys at a recent show in Lismore. It looked to be a good idea. (I have not used them or am not associated in any way)

Google - Kingfisher Canopies and you should get them. I am not sure if I should post the link here, or you can PM me if you cannot find them.

whiteman
06-08-2007, 04:21 PM
dnej

I have the same sort of set up to yours. I took off the ropes that were tied to near the rear of the boat which took up valuable fishing room. Then (sorry, no photo):

1. on long diagonal attached two SS saddles (like eyelets) about 40cm apart in the middle
2. spliced a 60cm loop of rope between the saddles
3. attached a small SS cleat about half way down the railing on your boat with another SS saddle about 5cm from the cleat
4. tied about 1m of thin gauge rope in the middle of the loop of rope (see 2)

Do the above to both sides. To set the canopy, thread the thin rope through the bottom saddle and back through the loop of rope, twice if you have enough then finish it by taking it through the bottom saddle and cleating it. Make sure you don't pull too tight as you will stress the aluminium piping and it could bend (that is why I use a loop connected between two points to spread the load.

The whole thing cost about $10 and works a treat giving me heaps more fishing room. It takes less than 30 seconds to set up.

griz066
06-08-2007, 05:08 PM
Check these out on ebay I bought one for my boat and it is good quality and reasonably priced.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Bimini-Canopy-Ski-Fishing-or-tinny-boat-Brand-NEW_W0QQitemZ280138800945QQihZ018QQcategoryZ72539Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem