PDA

View Full Version : Re-powering Haines Signature 700L

Outnumbered
04-08-2007, 07:31 PM
I was wondering if any one has some advice on powering an older HS 700L? The boat was stolen recently and had the 2003 Mercury 200hp EFI stripped (ouch). I am seriously thinking about Yamaha or Suzuki 4 strokes in the 175 - 225 range. It was previously bum heavy at trolling speeds and took water into the pod when loaded with fuel. I am conscious of the extra weight of the 4s and would like to avoid sucking H2O into the pod.

I am looking a 30" shaft to get the motor up a bit.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Franco
04-08-2007, 08:42 PM
Just buy a new boat Daz!
Greeny reckons you should just buy something that doesn't sink this time! :)

Didn't they write it off? Bastards!

Outnumbered
05-08-2007, 07:04 AM
::) Just for the record the boat has never sunk, just got a large amount of water in the pod that making it sit very low in the water. It doesn't help when you are 25 miles + out to sea when you are noticing this happen:o . The main problem was 300 litres of fuel, a pod extension and 2 "larger" fishing mates on board. I had mostly rectified this with a hydrofoil and taking less fuel.

Lessons learnt, trust me.

bastard
05-08-2007, 06:25 PM
How are you going outnumbered that is my old boat sorry to here some lo life stole it,i was wondering why i hadnt seen you out there.

Outnumbered
05-08-2007, 07:23 PM
hi bastard

The boat is awesome for family boating and camping out. We stripped the carpet out and flow coated the cockpit to make it easy to clean up after fishing see attached pic. We had 3 family trips and an attempt at heavy tackle marlin fishing out of it (a/a) before some scum wanted it for the parts. Did you end up buying a 25 or 28 ?

bastard
05-08-2007, 07:40 PM
I bought a 26 caribbean there has been only one weekend i havent used it this was when fittting new risers and manifolds,your hains would be heaps more practical without the carpet.Were did they find your boat and was the insurance company good.

Outnumbered
06-08-2007, 06:17 AM
Found in a gully at Undulla, completely stripped. Suncorp - have been good so far, still yet to see any money yet. My mate has a cabin cruiser 26, great boat.

GBC
06-08-2007, 01:42 PM
G'day outnumbered -

I was test driving a 680 sc on the weekend with a 225 etec. Anyone looking on boatpoint - it is very SOLD sorry.

roughly 1kg equals 1kw so about 230 odd kilo for the motor. Ive driven a few different motor combinations on 680's and this one was niiice.

Don't know how the weight compares with other motors, but thought the numbers might help you.

Good luck with the refit.

C.J.

Noelm
06-08-2007, 02:13 PM
of course you know you just cannot get a 30" shaft and bolt it to the existing transom, also a longer shaft has nothing to do with weight at the stern! a big 4 stroke will be very heavy compared to your old 2 stroke.

bastard
06-08-2007, 04:43 PM
of course you know you just cannot get a 30" shaft and bolt it to the existing transom, also a longer shaft has nothing to do with weight at the stern! a big 4 stroke will be very heavy compared to your old 2 stroke.The boat is fitted with a jacking plate so the 30 inch will bolt strait on.:)

Outnumbered
06-08-2007, 09:08 PM
Jacking plate was also taken with the motor.

The boat is rated up to 270kg, both the 200 and 225 are just under. Optimax would be a lighter option but have heard mixed reviews. I really want the range and the quietness of a 4s. I still am not completely sold on ETEC's despite the obvious benefits??