PDA

View Full Version : Etecs (or should it be all DI 2strokes) burning holes in piston tops etc?

Chimo
04-08-2007, 06:33 PM
Was told the other day by an outboard mechanic that etecs are burning holes in piston tops due to heat / lean running or some other cause.:-/

Apparently the older carby ones are OK claim was that only the new Etecs are being affected.?

Has this been experienced by any AFs?

At some stage I may look at new motors so obviously I'm interested particularly with some recent 4 s experiences also being considered.

Thanks
Cheers
Chimo

manchild
04-08-2007, 06:44 PM
Well thats the first i heard of it,Ask him next time what he got to back up his statement.
George
Ps: im in contact through the net with factory trained brp technicians in the states,they never heard of it either

Chimo
04-08-2007, 06:52 PM
Hi George, I had and still have a feeling he may have been lost in a forest with or without women there to hear him so he could have been affected!

Was not sure hence the question to the AF forum to see what pops up.

Chimo

Wahoo
04-08-2007, 06:55 PM
Well thats the first i heard of it,Ask him next time what he got to back up his statement.
George
Ps: im in contact through the net with factory trained brp technicians in the states,they never heard of it either

George

I think i read this on THT some time ago :-/

Daz

manchild
04-08-2007, 07:03 PM
Thanks Daz ,do you have a link for it?

Wahoo
04-08-2007, 07:07 PM
Thanks Daz ,do you have a link for it?

no sorry George, it was about 5 months or so ago,
if i recall, ended up as a 6 page slang match:-/

Daz

manchild
04-08-2007, 07:09 PM
As usual with e-tecs,funny enough that noone blink an eye when a merc grinding away while putting it in gears.
George

Wahoo
04-08-2007, 07:12 PM
As usual with e-tecs,funny enough that noone blink an eye when a merc grinding away while putting it in gears.
George

LOL each to there own i guess ;D

Daz

Chimo
04-08-2007, 07:17 PM
But leaving aside the slanging match cause we are better than that, did the multiple pages of chat have any worthwhile hard data re this alleged situation with etec pistons?

Thanks
Cheers
Chimo

manchild
04-08-2007, 07:22 PM
Sorry mate ,we were not slanging i only just now saw the merc in Wahoo s avatar:-[ It just its all good and aknowledged till its an e-tec ,and then of course its the smoking gun and a lot of AHHHAAA i told you so .:)
George
Im finished hijacking your thread:P

disorderly
Oh No here we go againhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/tongue.gif

Wahoo
did the multiple pages of chat have any worthwhile hard data re this alleged situation with etec pistons?

Thanks
Cheers
Chimo

Chimo for me i dont no much about the etec so i dont tend to take in what was said :-/

but i do no they copped a slang hideing

Daz

Chimo
04-08-2007, 07:24 PM
Hey Disorderly

No we wont!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers
Chimo

Wahoo
04-08-2007, 07:24 PM
i only just now saw the merc in Wahoo s avatar:-[

LOL sweet as George ;)

Daz

BM
04-08-2007, 08:55 PM
Yes Chimo it is true.....

Usually being bad fuel related.

One thing that is going to become acutely important in the current climate is that fuel more than ever will be a serious concern. Someone either here or on fishnet posted recently that the current DI 2 strokes can handle bad fuel..... I let it go, wasn't worth the argument then....

Current DI 2 strokes are running at what could be called "optimum" but that comes at a price. These engines (all brand DI 2 strokes) are running at their peak or "optimum" performance levels and cannot tolerate low grade inputs.

Now thats fine, provided everything supplied to the engine is "optimum" including oil and perhaps more importantly FUEL....

Go sticking shit fuel into one of these "optimum" tuned machines and you can expect to be burning the tops of pistons real fast.....

So the petrol station oil buyer who also enjoys using 6 month old fuel better not own a modern hi-tech machine coz he will kill it......

CHeers

Chimo
04-08-2007, 09:41 PM
Hi BM,

So all DI 2s are more or less in the same boat and until they modify the computer to run at a bit less than optimum the risk will be high.

Is it worse at flat stick than mid range cruise?

Are the older carby 2s less or more susceptible, does the extra oil and fuel they poke thru help or hinder; apart from being smelly at start up that is?

On a different subject are you still toying with a move nth?

thanks again for your input

Cheers
Chimo

Sailing Breeze
05-08-2007, 06:33 PM
The biggest contibuting factor is to make sure your outboard motor is propped correctly. High performance engines like these ( two or fourstoke) ( injected or not) must be allowed to rev freely.....consider trying to drive your car around with only one gear to choose from? How long would it last if you chose top gear...