PDA

View Full Version : Four Strokes Seem Sluggish.......Yams & Suzukis

Chimo
04-08-2007, 05:51 PM
Not a big sample but had a run in a boat with a couple of 140 HP Suzukis today and once again found that these motors seemed like some Yam 4s 200HPs in another rig that I've spent a fair bit of time in that also seemed to be sluggish, or maybe unwilling is a better way to describe it compared to the 115 HP 2Ss I'm used to.

Have others ever felt this too?:-/

Is this the result of the lack of power strokes ie every second one in the 4s cf to the 2s that really shows up when your switching back and forth?

Think I like the feeling of free-er more willing ponies in the 2s 8-)

Anyone any thoughts?

Cheers
Chimo

manchild
04-08-2007, 06:02 PM
YES finally someone else too.Prepare for a verbal onslaught mate.
George

mako101
04-08-2007, 06:17 PM
I think you are probably right and would imagine it similar to comparing the take off power of motorbikes such as a YZ 80 to an XR 75 when comparing bikes I rode when I was a kid.
The YZ left you for dead on an XR, but the topend speed of the XR was ok.
I imagine it is similar with boat motors, although I haven`t owned a four stroke yet, but soon will.
The 2 stroke YZ`s needed a heck of a lot more maintainence wise compared to the four strokes, used more petrol and seemed to break down ten times more often from memory, but then I seem to remember they were cheaper and easier to rebuild.

bushbeachboy
04-08-2007, 06:20 PM
Fours do seem to be a bit slower on holeshot, but have other redeeming features. Perhaps the ones you have experienced needed better propping?

Chimo
04-08-2007, 06:26 PM
Don't think the 140HP Suzuki props should be an issue as the Solas man would have been involved in its setup. The Yams also unlikely to be props.

Its not just holeshot I'm referring to, neither of these rigs are ski boats, one over 9 m and the other over 7 m long and both really fishing cruising types.

Chimo

Wahoo
04-08-2007, 06:34 PM
Not a big sample but had a run in a boat with a couple of 140 HP Suzukis today and once again found that these motors seemed like some Yam 4s 200HPs in another rig that I've spent a fair bit of time in that also seemed to be sluggish, or maybe unwilling is a better way to describe it compared to the 115 HP 2Ss I'm used to.

Have others ever felt this too?:-/

Is this the result of the lack of power strokes ie every second one in the 4s cf to the 2s that really shows up when your switching back and forth?

Think I like the feeling of free-er more willing ponies in the 2s 8-)

Anyone any thoughts?

Cheers
Chimo

Chimo, what size is the boat with the 115;s, you should compair a 9m boat with a 9m boat, one with 2st's and the other with 4st's me thinks

Daz

Spaniard_King
04-08-2007, 06:35 PM
Well back in 2002 we put a 225 Ram injected ficht on a Haines 2100SO up against a honda BF225 also on a Haines 2100SO both were comercial boats built exactly the same. Over 300M there was nuthing between them.. I was also very suprised.. the ficht had the top end on the Honda tho.. but who can run around at WOT anyway :)

Spaniard_King
04-08-2007, 06:39 PM
Chimo,

Really the main issue is correct engine choice and setup... stuff one up and any engine will be a dog :)

Chimo
04-08-2007, 06:43 PM
Daz

I see your point but the top speeds on all are similar its just the apparent intrinsic noises and feelings thru the seat and the ears as you do it.

The 115s are on a 6.2 seafarer which as you would appreciate is a fairly heavy lump probably not much but a little lighter than the 7.4 with 140HP Suzis. The power to weight ratios would I think be similar given 115s cf 140s .

I'm not setting out to bag just looking to see what others who have tried a few setups have found.

Chimo

Wahoo
04-08-2007, 06:49 PM
Daz

I see your point but the top speeds on all are similar its just the apparent intrinsic noises and feelings thru the seat and the ears as you do it.

The 115s are on a 6.2 seafarer which as you would appreciate is a fairly heavy lump probably not much but a little lighter than the 7.4 with 140HP Suzis. The power to weight ratios would I think be similar given 115s cf 140s .

I'm not setting out to bag just looking to see what others who have tried a few setups have found.

Chimo

sweet as mate;), i cant answer your Q thou :-/

Daz

Ron173
05-08-2007, 06:43 PM
Dont want to get into the 'big 2-4 debate' again, but Chimo I would have to agree with you, 4's have their merits, but sheer grunt and guts just isnt one of them.

Ron

tunaticer
05-08-2007, 07:35 PM
I just soent the day out on the water in a platey with a 115 yam 4st. No way in hell could i complain. I've been a 2st guy all my life.......i think ive been missing something very good.

Jack.