PDA

View Full Version : The best 140-150HP 4S available

hungry6
04-08-2007, 09:58 AM
I just wanted inputs and comments as to the best, outboard motor in terms of reliability regardless of cost. It doesnt have to be the lightest or dripping with whistles and bells.
thanks
wayne

Wahoo
04-08-2007, 11:31 AM
your are going to get alot of different answers on this

as for me all i can say is take the 150 Verado for a run, these motors are outstanding

Daz

rufus_kev
04-08-2007, 12:52 PM
I Have A 140 Suzi With 230 Hours On It. No Complaints So Far.

sik008
04-08-2007, 05:11 PM
suzuki or honda or tohatsu...Japanese made motors are kmown for their reliability!

cheers alex

Dan5
04-08-2007, 05:35 PM
Suzuki,yamaha,honda,mercury,mariner and in no particular order

goldie 70
04-08-2007, 08:38 PM
Bias opinion but go the SUZI

btrendle
04-08-2007, 10:09 PM
I have had two verado's so far. A 135 and a 150. This years 150hp has been upgrading giving better fuel usage. They are not as good on the fuel as the suzuki but have heaps more grunt down low, are very quiet and I believe the best outboard I have used.

Wahoo
05-08-2007, 08:11 AM
. They are not as good on the fuel as the suzuki but have heaps more grunt down low, .

the new ones are ;D

Improvements to the power train give the Verado line world class fuel efficiency. Mercury tests show the new 150 hp Verado (http://northamerica.mercurymarine.com/engines/outboards/verado/fourcylinder_specs.php?ID=48) consumes 22 percent less fuel at wide open throttle and 18 percent less fuel on average at cruise speed than the 150 hp Verado introduced in 2005. In comparison to the competition, the new 150 hp Verado consumes up to 20 percent less fuel through the power band than the 150 hp Yamaha1, up to 23 percent less than the 150 hp Suzuki2 and up to 40 percent less than the 150 hp Evinrude E-Tec3.

hungry6
05-08-2007, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the replies so far. I just realised that so many ppls are so tight lip regarding, well to me anyway the number one most important factor when buying outboard. to me an outboard isnt worth cr*p if its the most powerful-eco-quiet if it leave you 50kays offshore with no power.

polky
05-08-2007, 11:34 PM
Stick with the suzi, got one and had no hassles.

Hamish73
06-08-2007, 06:46 AM
most people will say what they own is the best, in their nature to justify their pourchase I guess. If I was buying a 4T, it would be a suzuki

Noelm
06-08-2007, 09:24 AM
I have said this heaps of times, If you are buying a new motor, these days you can almost forget the brand and let the "dealer experience" be the decider, all motors can and do suffer some sort of drama at some time, a good dealer can take away some of the pain that comes with it! also a near by dealer with a good workshop, with good mechanics, friendly service (even if you are buying a 2 HP or a 200) and may give you a good deal later on when it comes time to trade, will far out weigh any perceived advantages over someones favorite brand, and will in the long run be worth more than a few dalloars saved by shoping at the cheapest place or online "bargains" you will NEVER get a clear winner in a brand "war"

Reel Magic
06-08-2007, 09:58 AM
I have a Yamaha,
it has never let me down, If I don't start the motor for 4-6 weeks between trips, it will still fire and start first time every time.

If I was to be getting a new motor it would be Yamaha, Suzuki (Because it is more economical again over the Yamaha) and probably end up with the Evinrude E-tec after the reports I have been getting this would porbably be number 1.

Ask the dealer for the video, I have not viewed it yet but been told - 2 identical boats snatched together, identical weights, 1 has a 150hp Yamaha, the other 150hp Evinrude, the Evinrude jumps out of the hole and swamps and capsizes the other rig with the better torque and power rating!
All this was done under some form of a judging panel. I am led to believe they are a very good motor, one that would have to be on the list to view when searching for a new engine.

Cheers Ryan.

Noelm
06-08-2007, 10:42 AM
would not put too much faith in an advertising video, however entertaining it may be.

Reel Magic
06-08-2007, 05:19 PM
It may be an advertising video for them, but hell if it can do that then I would be advertising it to.
Considering it was done under a proper judging panel etc, anyways you can get the stat's from a dealer if you want they have the DVD available or do a google search.

At the end of the day you will not get a general concensus here, that is why all are in business etc as we all accept different conditions.
Any 4 stroke nowadays is going to give you much of a muchness in performance and results I would expect.

My mate has a new Mercury Verado supercharged 250hp and hates it, chews way too much gas he said comparing other motors figures, and has had ongoing issues with it from new therefore I would steer clear of that motor. (Maybe that is the lemon of the mob).
That ought to open up a can of worms with the Merc lovers, however that is how easy it is to influence a person's decision making process.

Cheers Ryan.

hungry6
06-08-2007, 07:11 PM
Many thanks to everyone who has replied from what I'm gathering is that generally US source motor gives heaps of power and the japanese counterpart are more frugal on fuel and reliability is much of a much for the latest batch of outboard.