PDA

View Full Version : From Main Line to Lure - Trolling for Mackeral?

rat_catcher
02-08-2007, 09:34 PM
I am trying to get some ideas on what setups people use from their main line down to the lure when trolling for Spanish Mackeral?

Assume 15kg mono mainline and a Rapala X-Rap Magnum lure.

What do you use in between and what knots do you use? Inclduing leader and terminal tackle.

I don't want to start a mono vs wire leader war, so please don't go there.

Just trying to get ideas and see what other people use.

Isaac
03-08-2007, 04:40 PM
Rat catcher, I use 15kg stren mono with a short 30 turn bimini double and then an improved allbright to about 2m of 100 lb penn 10x leader. Then I use about 30cm of 88lb single strand wire with a black crane swivel on the leader end and tied directly to the lure on the other end. I leave the wire on the lure permanently. I used to use snaps but have found they affect some lures action. My old man uses 50lb mono straight to 30cm of same wire with snaps and catches plenty so horses for courses.

As well as your rapalas, other lures that work well are halco laser pros, in the 2m and crazy deep versions, rmg scorpions in 125 and 150 size and lively lures blue pillys as well as the halco trembelrs in the bibless. Cheers Ben

rat_catcher
03-08-2007, 07:19 PM
Then I use about 30cm of 88lb single strand wire with a black crane swivel on the leader end and tied directly to the lure on the other end. I leave the wire on the lure permanently.
All good info thanks. What knots are you using for the mono leader to the swivel and the swivel to the wire as well as the wire on the lure?

If you leave the wire attached to the lure and have not used snaps, are you cutting the swivel off the mono leader to disassemble?

Isaac
03-08-2007, 07:38 PM
For the mono to swivel use whatever you normally use that works, I use a locked half blood knot and for the wire I use the standard haywire twist. Can all be found here http://www.ausfish.com.au/knots/ aswell. Yeah I cut the mono off when I change and have a box full of lures with wire on them. Snaps are easier but I don't like them. Cheers Ben

rat_catcher
03-08-2007, 10:39 PM
Thanks Ben. Anybody else care to share?

Splash
28-11-2007, 11:57 PM
Rat catcher, I use 15kg stren mono with a short 30 turn bimini double and then an improved allbright to about 2m of 100 lb penn 10x leader. Then I use about 30cm of 88lb single strand wire with a black crane swivel on the leader end and tied directly to the lure on the other end. I leave the wire on the lure permanently. I used to use snaps but have found they affect some lures action. My old man uses 50lb mono straight to 30cm of same wire with snaps and catches plenty so horses for courses.

As well as your rapalas, other lures that work well are halco laser pros, in the 2m and crazy deep versions, rmg scorpions in 125 and 150 size and lively lures blue pillys as well as the halco trembelrs in the bibless. Cheers Ben

How do u tie wire to lures?

SPlsh

flick
29-11-2007, 08:04 AM
If using single strand i use haywire twist as well, i used to use multi with a flemish eye. I only use wire on rapalas, for economic reasons. Otherwise 30lb platypus platinum, double, 80lb ande leader. Usually have a snap on leader.

Chin guard with a pike or gar is a good alternative to lures.

Jim

Splash
29-11-2007, 09:07 PM
Hi Team.

Best rig for trolling for large pelagics up here in Gove ??
1) 24kg Mono main - Lure
2) 24kg Mono main - 120lb wind on leader - Lure
3) 24kg Mono main - 120lb wind on leader - wire - Lure
4) 24kg Mono main - wire - lure

My initial aim is to beat the sharks and bring home a feed
My close secondary aim is to have fun and enjoy a good fight.

I am not going away from 24kg main line.
If wire is recommended, single strand or double strand nylon coated?

Really appreciate your thoughts..

Splash