PDA

View Full Version : Suzi 140 HP 2006 Any issues with these?

Chimo
02-08-2007, 02:53 PM
Friend of mine is thinking about a boat with a couple of 140 HP Suzis apparently 2006 with approx 350 hrs.

The boat is apparently owned by a keen fisherman.

Anything that one needs to be aware of with these?

Thanks in anticipation::)

Cheers
Chimo

Originally posted 130 but they are 140HPs
Edited18.25pm

dfox
02-08-2007, 04:54 PM
Chimo, ive never heard of 130 hp 2005-6 suzuki's , maybe you mean 140 hp?

Chimo
02-08-2007, 06:13 PM
Yes Correction they are 140HP and we hope they are OK as he just put a deposit on it!

Chimo

Fish Guts
02-08-2007, 07:15 PM
there not off the back of a fisher are they ? might be old mates who had a thread on here a week or so ago about his 140's.

disorderly
02-08-2007, 07:30 PM
there not off the back of a fisher are they ? might be old mates who had a thread on here a week or so ago about his 140's.

yeah guts I sure hope not.
Be bad enough buying 1 lemon let alone 2http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/shocked.gif

Scott

Chimo
02-08-2007, 08:16 PM
Not off a Fisher.

They are both on a 7.4 glass boat and have been since new and he is buying the package.

Boat is antifouled and has lived in the water for its 8months life to date.

Guy that owns it was not working but loved to fish and seemed to spend a lot of time in it towing lures etc as it has over 300hrs on it.

Looks neat a tidy and well used and has supposedly had all its services ie after first one every 100hrs

Has not been beach launched so no water up the tail; just used and serviced.

That being said would it be fair to say that if it aint broke and it keeps getting serviced it should last ok?

Chimo

saurian
02-08-2007, 09:16 PM
Just as safe as any other 4 stroke in my books chimo, if they were 2 strokes with 300 odd hours I'd be more careful.
Sounds like the ex owner used them for what they are made for trolling all day long.
So hours sound normal, relax.....
Ta

Greg P
02-08-2007, 09:21 PM
Chimo - get him to take it to a Zuke dealer to check over - they can hook up a laptop to the ECM and download how many hrs it has done by RPM sections and print it out. Will also have any sensor events detailed.

I had one on my old boat and they are a sweet engine.

rat_catcher
02-08-2007, 09:40 PM
Chimo - get him to take it to a Zuke dealer to check over - they can hook up a laptop to the ECM and download how many hrs it has done by RPM sections and print it out. Will also have any sensor events detailed.
Yes definitely do this. It is amazing what you can learn from this printout. Also speak to Haines Suzuki Marine to confirm transfer of the warranty. You must apply for the transfer as it does not happen automatically. Also when speaking to HSM check to see what recalls the engines have had. Make sure they were all done when necessary. If they aren't done you can organize to have them done even now.

I just recently purchased a boat with a 250hp Suzuki and did all of the above. I even have a nice letter from HSM confirming the warranty transfer!

Outer Edge
02-08-2007, 10:14 PM
chimo,

One thing i noticed about the suzi is they seem to get a bit of white pitting around some area`s (being black prob does`nt help ) its only slight just keep an eye on em and keep them treated as it could get out of control like bloody cancer. Also i started to get slight pitting around the release handle, next sevice ill be pointing it out..

Had my pair of suzi`s for bout a year and i must say they are what they cranked up to be .I am however a Honda fan but price and the Mrs put a stop to that.

Not sure if the Suzi is going to stand the test of time as my previous motors were Honda`s on my first rig and i just could nt kill em they just kept going after thousands & thousands of hours and pitting was non exsistant..

Greg P has some good advise with putting em on the LPT i highly recomend it.

Outer Edge.

Chimo
03-08-2007, 07:57 AM
Thanks guys, I'll pass on the helpful comments received.

Cheers
Chimo