PDA

View Full Version : greasable nut for teleflex steering

Achjimmy
01-08-2007, 12:27 PM
Hello All

Some time ago somebody mentioned an aftermarket nut that went on to teleflex cable steering with double wiper seals and grease/oil nipple so the cable steering could be filled with ATF oil. Any body remember or know of them? I have done searchs to no avail.

Jim

GBC
01-08-2007, 12:39 PM
I bought one from whitworths a few years ago. Might be worth trying them.

If not, drill out the starboard nut and outer tube and tap it to take a small bolt, pour some lubricant in every so often.

The system was simple and it worked so I don't see why it shouldn't still be on the market. It was an american import though - don't remember the name unfortunately.

dnej
01-08-2007, 12:54 PM
They guy who made them,was from somewhere near Breakfast Creek,but doesn't seem to be around any more.
The nut,was attached to a tube,and that went to a storage bottle,mounted on the transom.
I have had a look at mine,and I dont think drilling a hole,in the original nut will work, as it would only hit the thread.
Ask Steve,at Aushfish.The guy used to advertise on this site,way back when.
David

dnej
01-08-2007, 01:09 PM
http://www.davisnet.com/product_documents/marine/manuals/420CblBudENGL.PDF

That will help you.
You drill through the thread,and the locking nut.
David

Achjimmy
01-08-2007, 04:49 PM
Thanks guys

that wasnt the system i had seen before but it looks like it would work as well. The other system did not invole drilling but was a replacment nut for the out put end. Anyway i have an employee going to Calafornia week after next and he will not be far from where Davies are so i might get one and try it.

Thanks again

lippa
01-08-2007, 06:47 PM
you could also try gary at control connections.
he has all manner of steering componets.
in the yella pages.

cheers

lippa

dnej
01-08-2007, 06:49 PM
http://www.steeringguard.com/installation/index.htm
Found the other one.
Use power steering oil,not grease,as grease makes the steering worse.It goes hard ,and gums up the works.
Power steering oil,magic.
David

ozscott
01-08-2007, 08:00 PM
mate I just undo the nipples every couple of years and pour in auto trans fluid and mate it maintains a very nice steering.

Cheers

dnej
02-08-2007, 09:31 AM
Jim,
I have gotten down to the bottom of this issue.
If you look at the Davis site,you will see that they also have the 2nd unit.But that only does the rod,not the cable.
The first one actually does the cable( where you have to drill)
That makes a lot more sense, as it is actually the cable that causes the problem.
David

Kerry
02-08-2007, 01:08 PM
What you are probably thinking of is SteerEasy and as I understand it no longer available/made?

Really would not be all that difficult to make, a good man on a lathe would knock the nut up in no time flat. Then just requires a feed line and external oil bottle.

It is things like this that one wonders where they ever disappeared to as they simply reduced stuck steering by 110%.

:) perhaps a steering cable manufacturer brought the system out and bushed it so they could continue to rely on people stuffing their cables :) Nah they wouldn't do that would they !!!!

Noelm
02-08-2007, 01:30 PM
I have found that if you clean it up REALLY good, then apply some genuine OMC triple gaurd grease, it never goes hard or dries up and the steering is good almost forever, but if you use ANY other grease, even water proof ones, they stuff up in a couple of months, I use the same grease in the swivel bracket and have never had a moments trouble since.

dnej
02-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Kerry,yep that is the one.Disappeared into the sunset.

(the system I found on the web),
How do you recon you would make the nut tighten,and still line up to the drilled hole.Would be fine initially,but if you had to remove and retighten,I wonder if it would line up again.
David

Kerry
02-08-2007, 02:32 PM
With the Steereasy design there was no need for any hole alignment as the oil was fed close to the outside end of the nut before the o'ring. The nut was simply made tight and the oil feed fitted to one of the 2 opposing holes. The other threaded hole was then simply blocked off with a small fibre washer and screw.

There was no need to drill any holes at all.