Just had this flicked through to me!

Thought it worth posting.

Cheers Zedjack33

geoff72
01-08-2007, 12:01 PM
thats cool. like it

Lovey80
01-08-2007, 12:04 PM
You can see why they are such efficient predators can't you. Looks so prehistoric

Cheers Chris

Dicko
01-08-2007, 01:26 PM
It's funny how things get around. That was done a few months ago by a mate of mine for an assignment as part of his marine biology degree.

Beautiful piece of work, but you wouldn't like to be paying him an hourly rate to do one commercially. ;D

B_E_N
01-08-2007, 02:08 PM
hey mate do you have any idea how he did it, I want one!

Dicko
01-08-2007, 02:35 PM
He did tell me, but I'd probably stuff up in explaining it, he's an occasional member here, I'll let him know this post is here, he will probably tell you himself.

(I just kept an eye on his place while he was away for a few weeks, I shoulda thrown it my pocket while he was away ;D)

Matt_Young
01-08-2007, 03:13 PM
I'll make em for 100 bucks a pop... lol
or $500 for the recipe...

Not too hard to do... Like a 3D puzzle, only you need more patience... Argggh.
Woulda had a hard time floggin it dicko, its in the Professors office... I wanna do a barra one soon - we better get out and catch some Dicko! lol

the gecko
01-08-2007, 03:21 PM
Nice work.

theres been a few of these over the years on ausfish. If you search on jack jaws it tells you how to do it. You need to boil the head, and let the ants clean it. I tried it once and stuffed it up. Gotta be gentle with the jaws cos the do seperate into pieces.

Andrew

blaze
01-08-2007, 03:49 PM
theres a couple in the trees at 1770, I got some pics of them somewhere. Looked easy to me, clean the jack and leave the frame with head attached firmly wedged in the branches and come back when its all cleaned up.
cheers
blaze

B_E_N
02-08-2007, 12:10 PM
i think a snapper head would look awesome aslo.
i thought thats how you do, boil then leave it for the ants
an open mouthed bara would look sick aswell, and hey all you gotta do is drive up to calide and scoop a dead one up, why try and catch one!

by the way how big approx was that jack.
do you think a whole body could be done??

disorderly
03-08-2007, 04:18 PM
by the way how big approx was that jack.
do you think a whole body could be done??

My missus bought me a mounted Piranha from Manaus on the Amazon in Brazil when we travelled there about 12-13 years ago.
It was basically a dried out carcase that may have been treated with formaldehyde or some other chemical to preserve it.
It kept quite well for about 10 years but finally met its match with my young sonhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/cry.gif

Ive also seen whole human bodies preserved with formaldehyde but thats another story.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/lipsrsealed.gif

Scott

childers
03-08-2007, 04:45 PM
zedjack thats neat, if i remember rightly ,you posted some photos of your own jack jaws like been boiled and maybe glued back together a long time ago !

cuzzamundi
03-08-2007, 05:38 PM
such marvellous specimens they are! thanks for sharing.

cuzza

onerabbit
03-08-2007, 07:09 PM
Hi guys,

I'm also very interested in the use of formaldehyde to preserve specimens, although, I have heard that the specimen may leak toxins ( eg, gasses),

Any comments??

Muzz

Sean
04-08-2007, 11:57 PM
I'm really interested in preserving human bodies in formaldahyde, can someone explain this to me......also, just out of interest, which dam is the deepest in seqld?

Sean
04-08-2007, 11:59 PM
. Looks so prehistoric

Cheers Chris[/quote]

That would be the bones, most of the dinosaures i have seen have been just bones, sean;D

Mattg68
05-08-2007, 09:37 PM
Looks awesome.

I found a turtle skull at Congle Ck on Fraser Is. a few years ago & it was in perfect nic, the vermon did a good job on it & cleaned it up nicely, have it sitting at home & it must have been an old bugger because its at least 6 inches across the top.

Matt

zedjack33
07-08-2007, 08:46 AM
zedjack thats neat, if i remember rightly ,you posted some photos of your own jack jaws like been boiled and maybe glued back together a long time ago !

Yeh I did good memory. My jaws have nothing on this.

This is just bloody brilliant.

Here are my jaws again!!