PDA

View Full Version : Better Fishermen?????

ffejsmada
31-07-2007, 09:00 PM
G'day guys,
I was in the tackle shop today buying some jig heads and there was another bloke in there also buying Jig heads.
We got chatting and he stated that Lure, Soft Plastics etc fishermen were better fishos and more skilled than bait soakers in estuary systems!::)

I didn't agree and told him I thought he was talking crap, I believe that a bloke that uses bait to get fish is just as skillful in his own right as a Lure fisho.

You still have to find the fish!!

Personally, I'm a lure man, only bait I use is live bait. But I admire those blokes that get their share of Bream, Whiting, Flatties etc on bait.

I'd rather keep active whilst fishing, flicking a lure, but I would not for one minute say that I'm more skilled than a bait fisho who brings home a feed.

Different strokes for different folks. What's your opinion.

Cheers Jeff.

Tailortaker
31-07-2007, 09:12 PM
I'm a bait fisherman and Would be insulted if someone said that to me, But at the same time I respect the guys that do really well on SP's and lures. I've tryed SP's and cant catch a thing. There is obviously an art to it and I cant work it out so as you said all fishing requires a level of skill and maybe more so for SP's but a bait fisherman should'nt be knocked.
CHEERS T.T.
________
The Yazidi Branch Of Yazdanism Dicussion (http://www.religionboard.org/yazidi-branch-yazdanism/)

choppa
31-07-2007, 09:26 PM
whether you use sp's,,,bait,,,,or a bloody net,,, the skill lies in the presentation and knowledge of the fish your chasing,,,,, not the thing that hangs off the end of the line

take for an example someone that is experienced in deep water,,, place him/her in a freshwater creek thats minus 2 degrees and watch them try and land a trout

estuary,,,, same,,,

its knowing the territory,,,, and what you think the fish will do,,,

experience in different techniques and different methods of landing the fish is only part of the equation,,,

thats me,,,, i'm off,,, i know theres a fish in here somewhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tangles
31-07-2007, 09:35 PM
like doing both,( have mates who only fish bait and some who are sp's) enjoy the good natured ribbing which goes on between bait and sp's, respect both, will admit when a bad day on sps, often think should have tried bait and vice versa,

Only thing i will say is bait fishing is in a sense for me more peaceful and tranquil but also like the 'hands on style of sps' but as Tailortaker said both need skill. Enjoy both, would never say sp's need more skill than bait as good guys on both always outfish others anyway.. ive got alot to learn..

Actually I reckon its more about knowing things like tide/structure/moons times and experience in that, .. no good having the best sp technique or best bait rig in the world if your on the wrong spot at the right time... same deal for everyone... patience

cheers
Mike

Synful
31-07-2007, 09:54 PM
Man - What a :-X!!!

Honestly, I believe that it's very much a horses for courses type thing when it all comes down to it with a good bit of luck thrown in.

Until recently (and the fish was pretty average) I had never caught anything on a lure be it HB or SP; but I kept trying as there had to be something to it because so many people had been successful on the artificials.

Who really cares what sort of bait you use so long as you catch fish, enjoy yourself and don 't have the wife ribbing you when you get home about catching nothing?;);D

SunnyCoastMark
31-07-2007, 10:51 PM
Hey Guys,
Never ceases to amaze me how there is always some space cadet who spends far too much time on the planet Uranus.;D and too little time enjoying all that this great pastime/sport/whatever has to offer.

For me, Fishing means different things on different days with different people in different places.

Quality Time - with my boys fishing off Urangan peir, Hervey Bay or off the landing off Apps road in Yandina - Who cares what we catch?!

Fun Time - pumping Yabbies or cast netting bait in the maroochy river.

Workout time - Pumping Yabbies or Cast netting in the maroochy river;)

Relaxing time - Floating a livey in the Cod hole, waiting for a Big "Ol mulloway to have a go.

Family Time - camping up at 1770 on the river - having a ball.

Adrenaline time - chucking slugs at rampaging schools of Tuna in 20 knots of Sou'Easterly off Old Woman Island.

Happy Time - Coming back in from a night time Session at Murphy's bagged out on Snapper in an hour.

Proud time - Slipping the landing net under my 13 years olds first flatty on plastics - a 68cm monster that put a smile on his face for a week.

Fishing........ - it's in the moments guys. Who cares what the format is?

Tight Lines and Happy Times

Mark

snelly1971
31-07-2007, 10:53 PM
Bait for me ...I hate anything Plastic ..The only Lures or jigs I use are for tuna...But I suppose our fishing tech are different down this way...

Cheers Mick

Jeremy
01-08-2007, 07:16 AM
back to the question, I don't think it is either bait fishoes or lure fishoes who are the better fishoes. I reckon that someone who can adapt and catch different species on lures annd bait in the estuary, freshwater, offshore etc etc shows that they know what they are doing. ie produces the goods in a variety of different situations.

Jeremy

Marlin_Mike
01-08-2007, 07:19 AM
I htink the question is akin to comparing sportsmen/women from different eras.

Doesnt work

Mike

385EXPLORER
01-08-2007, 07:43 AM
IMO, stinks or hb's,sp's require equal skill,knowledge and preparation.I had never touched or thought about sp's till about a year ago i gave em a go, trip after trip never had a hit,but i kept trying now i get fish on em and the buzz I get from tricking a fish with plastic is unreal,still take bait & sp's every time.

Little grey men
01-08-2007, 08:17 AM
What a goose,

What about all the fisho's that came before us. My Grandfather used nothing but bait,and his knowledge of fishing was immense. My father is also a top fisho, he used his first lure only a few months ago.
A lot of it has to do with reading the area your fishing, knowing what the fish want to eat......sounds like he was full of his own self importance.
I use bait, soft plastics and hard bodies....all good fun.

finga
01-08-2007, 08:34 AM
If bait fishermen are so bad how come the annual River to Mud was won by bait users??
That area is classed as estuary isn't it??

Each to their own I say...
Personally I prefer others to use plastic. Leaves more fish for us stinky bait users to catch ;)
And again personally I would have told this bloke he's a tosser. Why?? Because he is. That's why.
I have been told I can be a bit blunt by the cook :(
SCM and Jeremy have summed it up pretty well.

ffejsmada
01-08-2007, 10:21 AM
Yeah guys, he was a ####### alright.
I asked him if he fished outside for reefies etc, he said he did and used pillies as bait!!! LOL::)
As far as the estuary went, he was SP's all the way. Wouldn't budge.

Each to his own I suppose.

GHOST-147
01-08-2007, 10:51 AM
All fishing from lure to bait has different skills. If you rate skill level, the fly angler is the most skillful and there are obvious, undeniable reasons for that being the case. Lure angling is certainly a skill level higher than bait angling and there's obvious reasons for that being the case too.

But the question of who is the better angler??? Not the technique you're using, but the knowledge you have. From all these experiences I've taken, knowledge is the key and a lot of anglers I've come across to date in the lure scene have poorer knowledge than bait anglers. Fly angler's knowledge is extreme and it is obvious why that is the case.

As an old saying goes, "The measure of a person's greatness is not by how what they do, but by the knowledge that they possess and what they do with it."

edleigh7
01-08-2007, 06:22 PM
Hey Marlin Mike...why did you change your avatar...i liked the shark, wasn't it?

Yeah Jeff its w@nkers like that that are not worth wasting your breath on, one big hypocrit

Ed:)