PDA

View Full Version : Jet Boat tours on the Gold Coast

Nugget
31-07-2007, 06:03 PM
I received this press release today (see below)
I have a problem with the concept of high speed jet boats through the shallows of our estuaries.
What do you think.
Dave ><>

Paradise Jetboating announces;
New “Safari Adventure” and Sea World Discount Combo

Paradise Jetboating, the Gold Coast’s largest Jet Boat Thrill Ride Company, has recently introduced a new and unique ride option for adventure seeking locals and visitors to the Gold Coast.

The ‘Mangrove Safari’ is an 80 minute adventure through the Broadwater and into the mangrove estuary areas of the Coomera and Pimpama Rivers.

Tony Johnson, Managing Director of Paradise Jetboating, says, “We think it’s the ultimate Jet Boat experience available in Australia. Combining all of the spins, high speed drifting and other thrilling manoeuvres that Jet Boats are renowned for with the excitement of speeding through the shallow, narrow mangrove channels of this beautiful region is an unforgettable experience.”
“Travelling in as little as 10cm of water we can access areas rarely visited, and with the flat hulls, no propeller and creating little wash these boats are extremely eco friendly” Tony explains.
“Along with the popular 45 minute Broadwater Adventure and the 30 minute Jet Blast rides, the Mangrove Safari will satisfy the Thrillseeker looking for a truly unique experience.”...

charleville
31-07-2007, 06:13 PM
Geez. I would hate to be sitting in a tinny tucked into a hidden spot just beside some mangroves and suddenly see one of these things appear from nowhere coming at me at high speed.

My guess is that they will deliberately hug shorelines closely so as to maximise the effect and increase the thrill. I can sense a fatality waiting to happen when one of these things ploughs into a sleepy tinnie just around a bend.

I wonder if they make a lot of noise?

PinHead
31-07-2007, 06:32 PM
Geez. I would hate to be sitting in a tinny tucked into a hidden spot just beside some mangroves and suddenly see one of these things appear from nowhere coming at me at high speed.

My guess is that they will deliberately hug shorelines closely so as to maximise the effect and increase the thrill. I can sense a fatality waiting to happen when one of these things ploughs into a sleepy tinnie just around a bend.

I wonder if they make a lot of noise?

believe me ..they do...single or twin V8's with above water exhaust

cammo79
31-07-2007, 06:45 PM
sweet, something else to throw lures at. i was getting sick of only trying to hit jetskiers and wakeborders.

theclick
31-07-2007, 06:49 PM
When i was fishing of the GC a few months ago they had those jet racing boats going around with a helicopter following them at low altitude. There were probably 5 or 6 of them, and they were incredibly loud..........AND ANNOYING.

Surprisingly the wake wasnt all that bad

Fish Guts
31-07-2007, 06:54 PM
hmmm....sounds very environmentally sustainable.

marty_z
31-07-2007, 07:23 PM
Surprisingly the wake wasnt all that bad

The wake isn't that bad when they are going in a straight line, which isn't that often! They have a habit of throwing the boats sideways when near the bank edges and they throw a lot of water a long way up the bank. Only my opinion, but the erosion these would create compared to a regular boat must be ten fold.

Marty

Chimo
31-07-2007, 07:30 PM
Have been unfortunate enough to have been close to these boats on a few occasions and I personally find them to be an obvious and significant additional risk to boating on the Broadwater.

Their mode of operation is such that they twist and turn back and forth and do tight 360s in the channel and else where and given the amount of traffic in the Broadwater area they are one more irrational accident waiting to happen.

No doubt they are a safe vessel to travel in; as long as they don't hit someone; but its the way they operate, which is designed to give max thrills to the passengers that increases the risk both to other users of these crowded waterways and themselves that worries me.

Shallow water and narrow mangrove channel and mangrove fringe zones should not be used to give thrill rides in these boats because of the risks this poses to other boaters as well as the environment IMHO.

It will be interesting to watch the EPA etc ;) reaction to this proposal. One wonders if there has been the necessary ammendment to the terms and conditions of their approved operation scope.

I also would be surprised if the risk assessment of these proposed thrill rides in narrow chanels and on the fringe of mangrove etc gives their insurer a warm fuzzy feeling? :o

Chimo

straddie
31-07-2007, 07:30 PM
Heya Nugget

Just another yahoo on the water in my opinion, can't see that it would be much better or worse than a jet ski, thunder cat, cruiser or even tinnie in the wrong hands.

finga
31-07-2007, 08:09 PM
un friggin' believable.
Doesn't anybody sit down and really think about this before the mouth starts flappin'??
As a protest all we need to do is have a million (maybe not that many but a lot ) of boats anchored along the path and see if they obey the laws or not.
I'd hate to be the skipper if the passengers want a thrill ride and they get a 6kt putt up the creek.
If they want a thrill ride send them down to...what's the name of the place??...where they hold the jetboat races..down from Tweed Heads. That'll give them some money to those who built and maintain the course and if you want a thrill you get a doozy of one.
Your pulling our leg aren't you Nugget??? Gees I hope you are :(

Ausfish
31-07-2007, 08:38 PM
Imagine it would only be a matter of time before someone is seriously injured or killed.

I am sure there would be way too much traffic coming and going and criss crossing the waterway for this activity to be safely operated.

How could they possible go up the waterway operating the way they do and obey the law when passing boats at anchor and boats underway.

I think Finga has a great idea

bdowdy
31-07-2007, 09:02 PM
went on one with my daughter not long ago it was agreat trip found out fishing spots to multi million dollar houses it was atour with abit of fun included, on the gold coast and would do it again, very safety aware around other boats and was a pleasure. cheers bdowdy.

ashh
31-07-2007, 09:31 PM
So does the public get a say in whether this should go ahead or not?

I reckon they can stay out of our rivers!!
keep the jetboats in the broadwater!!

If the tourists want to go through the shallow, narrow mangrove channels of this beautiful region and have an "unforgettable experience.” either hire a boat or get on a cruise.
Why ruin our privelage of being able to fish these quieter rivers, and put many other people at risk, all at the expense of some tourists 30minute 'joyride'.

Bah.

Where do I sign the petition >:(

wamjam
31-07-2007, 10:06 PM
If you choose to live in a tourism originated city with all the latest conveniences at your fingertips!.Why not have shallow water jetboating.:-/
wamjam

ashh
31-07-2007, 10:34 PM
If you choose to live in a tourism originated city with all the latest conveniences at your fingertips!.Why not have shallow water jetboating.:-/
wamjam

We allready do have it.
but, they want to venture from the wide expanse of shallow sand flats of the broadwater into the narrow river sytems.

Blackened
01-08-2007, 05:21 AM
G'day

I agree, silly idea, however the jet boats are great pieces of mahienery.

I've been on one, it was on the gordon river in tasmania.

Finga,you mean round mountain at cabarita... I was there last november for the jet sprints.... very cool stuff.

Dave

joeT
01-08-2007, 05:23 AM
...speeding through the shallow, narrow mangrove channels ...

How on earth can they get away with that? Its like saying they are offering a thrill car ride by speeding through narrow public streets.

I can imagine some poor bloke steathily canoeing down some shallows and then suddenly being cut in half by one of these jet boats. They've gotta be kiddin...

Nugget
01-08-2007, 01:47 PM
Some people seem confused - this is not a suggestion or proposal.
It is an advertisement promoting their newest attraction.
I'm sure it would be fun but agree with Ausfish Steve - it will only be a matter of time before someone gets hurt and you can bet it will be a fisho in a tinny.

If you disagree, contact the Gold Coast Council.

Dave ><>

cbs
01-08-2007, 02:10 PM
I have witnessed this companys vessel on many occaisions doing things that make me shake my head.

I was sitting on the front beach of wavebreak Island, when this goose charging down the beach continually spraying his jet up the beach and on the dunes causing quite a lot of sand to wash back into the ocean. When he got to the southern wall he ran right into the corner before turning so that his jet wash completely sprayed the wall. No regard at all to what vessel may have been coming around the corner.

I would think that this company would be the cause of much environmental damage in the mangrove creeks if this behaviour is continued let alone the safety concerns.

This company is an accident waiting to happen.

azzure
01-08-2007, 02:57 PM
mangroves? im suprised no one has yet commented on the impact it will have on the habitats and fish that live in these mangroves.

azur

25_ponies
01-08-2007, 08:15 PM
IIRC, Coomera river is 6kt from the broadwater to sanctuary cove (and maybe furhter?). Not a lot of jetboat excitement at 6kts methinks....

edleigh7
02-08-2007, 08:45 AM
This will probably be the same mentallity like traffic lights, they'll wait until their is a certain number of injuries/deaths till something will be done about it::) ::)
Unfortunate...but probably true:(

Ed

Fish Guts
02-08-2007, 01:19 PM
support what finga suggested. if this turns into an issue. protest by anchoring in the narrow channels and see if the speed limits are abided by. what areas has this operator been going through on the broadwater ?

ricksta
02-08-2007, 02:05 PM
IIRC, Coomera river is 6kt from the broadwater to sanctuary cove (and maybe furhter?). Not a lot of jetboat excitement at 6kts methinks....

South arm is, but I think you'll find they're talking about the North arm which is unrestricted right up to Sanctuary Cove.

Rick

death_ship
02-08-2007, 06:02 PM
Hey guys
i have heard that there is going to be 5 licences issued to operators to do these jet boat rides in MORETON BAY, i guess it was just a matter of time, you cant halt tourism and idiots with jet boats, god help us all. Lets just hope its only a rumour, but i am led to believe its gonna happen.

mono
02-08-2007, 06:08 PM
Hi Guys, just sitting here enjoying a Jim Beam and thinking what a great idea that would be for our Cape Byron marine Park- "Mono's 50knot Jetboat Tours". Better have a few more drinks before i contact the park rangers to tell them about my new adventure!!

Cheers, cheers!!

PS. Hey Dave u want to drive- i've had a couple!!

Ausfish
02-08-2007, 06:29 PM
Best to send an E-mail to the Mayor and/or his councillors

You can get all their E-mail address from the following page

http://goldcoast.qld.gov.au/t_standard2.aspx?PID=349

Or -

All written correspondence should be addressed to:
Gold Coast City Council
PO Box 5042
Gold Coast MC 9729

loophole
02-08-2007, 06:41 PM
steve an email to the mayor sounds like a good idea i have sent on can others post to confirm when they have sent on please.

Fish Guts
02-08-2007, 07:08 PM
warrick capper wouldnt agree with this sort of nonsense !!

NormC
02-08-2007, 07:51 PM
You sure you haven't got the dates confused Nugget. This is surely an April Fools joke.

Quite apart from the safety and comfort of other users of these river systems, erosion is already a major problem from boat and PWC wash. There are many areas of the Coomera where the banks are collapsing (along with mangroves) into the water.

The environment sure can't handle this sort of pressure. And nor can I as a regular user of these water systems for more sedate pursuits like fishing.

I checked out the web site for the company and there is no mention of the 'Safari Adventure'.

If it's fair dinkum, I'm happy to write to my local Gold Coast Councilor and follow up with him for feedback. I suggest all Gold Coasters do the same.

I've had these jet boats come quite close to me when fishing near the rock bank inside the North wall of the Seaway. Other than curse them, I've done nothing about it as they are part of the Gold Coast 'scene' and the Broadwater environment is not that fragile (that is humans stuffed it up many years ago). The rivers are something different entirely.

death_ship
02-08-2007, 08:04 PM
i am serious
apparently the licences are going ahead for moreton bay.

Fish Guts
02-08-2007, 08:10 PM
there used to be one for a couple of months that ran outside the scarborough jetty. i think it went broke...

NormC
02-08-2007, 09:43 PM
Well, I've just emailed Ron Clarke, Gold Coast mayor. I'll follow up with another to my division councilor and probably all the others as well.

NormC
03-08-2007, 12:30 PM
Well, I have responses from the Deputy Mayor (my Div councillor) and two other councillors. Consensus is that while they share my concerns, they have no jurisdiction below the high water mark.

I've also emailed the members for Gaven and Albert (which cover the two rivers in question) and the Minister for the Environment. Have a response from the member for Gaven (my local member) who says he was not aware of this issue. Says he is concerned and will speak with the Minister for Environment's staff next week.

I can only suggest that other concerned Ausfishers do much as I have done.

Nugget, any chance you can PM the original release you got on this from the company. It might be handy for me to have if I get any further follow up from the people I have contacted.

flick
03-08-2007, 12:49 PM
I believe there is a time and place for jet boats. Sydney harbour works well as it is so big. I reckon there are areas of moreton bay that would not clash with other bay users. However the broadwater is already silted up to the hilt and channels are getting narrower all the time. Between tinney's, runabouts, cruisers, houseboats, charters, parasailers, whale watchers and yachts. I don't believe there is a safe working area for jetboats in the broadwater.

From memory, it took ages for the application to get through, and was very expensive. ......Ah yes money. .........That is how they can do it

boatboy50
04-08-2007, 09:29 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm a commercial skipper who knows these regions.

The Pimpama and North Arm of the Coomera are both heavily governed by the Marine Parks and Boating and Fisheries Department, as they are within the restricted use Moreton Bay Marine Park zone.

They are not allowed to carry on any commercial activity within these regions unless these departments know about it. My guess is they don't. So if YOU object, let them know.

The marine division of Queensland Transport also has the power to stop the activity. Your local area councillor will just fog it off.

Send an email to any or all three of these departments if you really want to see something done about it.

Regards

Darren

Nugget
05-08-2007, 04:39 PM
Unfortunately not an April Fool's joke.
Here is the original press release.

http://www.nuggetfishing.com.au/articles/MEDIA RELEASE 31st July.doc

Dave ><>

1lastcast
06-08-2007, 12:14 PM
Looks like i will be heading up the river with a surf rod and a few size 10 ball sinkers for some casting practice , but really this is bloody b/s i feel sorry for the poor bastard jet boat operator that cuts in close to my boat while im fishing it will only happen once gauranteed !

Fish Guts
06-08-2007, 01:06 PM
the court case and you paying compensation for injury will only happen once aswell.

1lastcast
07-08-2007, 08:00 AM
All were asking for is to be shown the same respect we as recreational boaters show others every time were on the water.
If thats the case nobody gets upset and we all enjoy our boating.

Fish Guts
08-08-2007, 01:42 PM
if commercial operators casted a sinker at recreational boat's whenever they didnt abide by rules on the water thered be a world shortage of lead !

1lastcast
09-08-2007, 08:47 AM
Youre definately 100% right infact i couldnt agree more isnt it frustrating sometimes . I allways try to do the right thing and you get some people who dont seem to give a shit about others , Im not trying to single out commercial operators at all my opinion is that those jetboats dont belong on a busy river with fisherman and thier families close by thats all

Fish Guts
09-08-2007, 09:58 AM
yeah cant agree more. cant believe it got approval. how does a 30ft odd jet boat have enough time to avoid a collision on the broadwater, let alone up a river. i doubt it will be going back to 6 knots within proximity to anchored vessels, and i doubt it will be following the road rules in a narrow channel aswell.

1lastcast
09-08-2007, 03:56 PM
I hope these operators are experienced skippers , lets hope we dont hear about an accident involving a jet boat on one of our gold coast rivers on the evening news anytime soon thats what worries me !

Red Bull
09-08-2007, 04:42 PM
Hi folks,

I frequent the Broadwater, and more specifically the areas behind and along Browns Island just north of Currigee. I have often witnessed the tourist jet boats regularly charge through the shallow weedy inlets and swampy areas behind Browns Island at high speed, and this is normally when I'm wading around looking for a feed of flathead.

I can accept these jet boat operators being out in the main channel of the Broadwater with all the hob-nobber cruisers, but it's pretty ordinary for them to be thundering though shallow mangrove areas, disturbing the wildlife, creating significant wave action (and I've seen that they do), and making enormous amounts of noise with their whistling turbo diesel engines at full revs. The local wading bird population of herons, egrets and so on, clearly hate it.

It drives me even more crazy when the drivers of these craft see me standing in knee deep water with a flick stick in my hands, and specifically turn and head straight towards me.

Often the tourists on board wave and smile at me as they whiz past, as if my irate single fingered gestures are some type of pleasant greeting.

Anyway, I've had a gut-full and I am wondering what is the best course of action to stop this ludicrous activity?

Thanks
Red Bull

Fish Guts
09-08-2007, 06:09 PM
film it and send to epa and Msq ? if that fails i think ausfish should get a heap of members together who are annoyed at it, and simply anchor off in the shallow areas he goes and get him filmed when he starts breaking the law.

notsa
09-08-2007, 09:31 PM
Well I think we should all get together when and if it starts up and protest by anchoring up along their path so they have to obey the 6 knot rule and it would not be much of a joy ride. But I don`t think they would obey the rules and they would not give a shit. It`s all about money and none of them care about people fishing or the environment.

GAFYM
13-08-2007, 05:26 PM
Well there u have it fellas.
Ch 10 news couple of minutes ago showed them going at 70 kmh in the Coomera .....WITH A PERMIT..... to do so.
There are some saying MAYBE environmental damage

JEEZ money talks>:( >:(

loophole
13-08-2007, 05:32 PM
ATTENTION ALL AUSFISH MEMBERS These jet boat tours have gone ahead chanel
ten showed footage of on tonights NEWS (monday 13th of august) these boats racing (two of them were racing side by sude blasting there wake every where) through shallow narrow mangrove-lined creeks this is deadset DANGEROUS AND DAMAGING TO THE ENVIROMENT.

EVERYONE that cares and is angered and out raged by this need to post a plan to stop this and email the people who can help us stop this

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

loophole
13-08-2007, 05:38 PM
This is deadset bulls#*t these people HAVE TO BE STOPED

yes GAFYM money does talk and so does angry fishos

PS. read my post in nuggets thread >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

PinHead
13-08-2007, 06:01 PM
I did not see that on the news..did they report that they were definitely going to operate and had been granted permission or was that a one off for the news film crew?

mad max
13-08-2007, 06:38 PM
Unusual...i havent seen any yet and im on the coomera...wont be giving way to any of the bastards either...funny how the speed limit is 40k yet they can do 70kmh...

why not give hoons a permit to go 180 on the m1

loophole
13-08-2007, 06:40 PM
why not give hoons a permit to go 180 on the m1 LOL .......

loophole
13-08-2007, 06:50 PM
I did not see that on the news..did they report that they were definitely going to operate and had been granted permission or was that a one off for the news film crew?

PinHead news reporter said "these jet boats are operating daily tours"
so yes they have already gone ahead . jet boating up a narrow shallow mangrove-lined creek is a bit different to a nice scenic cruise up the creek on an old ferry or pontoon boat

seatime
13-08-2007, 06:50 PM
not supporting the practice, tho the speed limit in Smooth Waters is 40 knots (nautical miles/hour), which equates to about 74 km/h. if they're doing 70 km/h outside the 6 knot zones, they're legal.

loophole
13-08-2007, 06:54 PM
they may be legal but they ARE DANGEROUS AND DAMAGING TO THE ENVIRONMENT its only a matter of time before someone is killed or injured

PinHead
13-08-2007, 07:01 PM
PinHead news reporter said "these jet boats are operating daily tours"
so yes they have already gone ahead . jet boating up a narrow shallow mangrove-lined creek is a bit different to a nice scenic cruise up the creek on an old ferry or pontoon boat

they have been doing daily rides around wavebreak and the seaway for ages...did they specifically say in the creeks etc...be careful what you see and read in news reports..it is not always factual...the old news saying..never let the facts get in the way of a good story...the Eddie McGuire story is a classic instance of that.

ashh
13-08-2007, 07:10 PM
they have been doing daily rides around wavebreak and the seaway for ages...did they specifically say in the creeks etc...be careful what you see and read in news reports..it is not always factual...the old news saying..never let the facts get in the way of a good story...the Eddie McGuire story is a classic instance of that.

MEDIA RELEASE
Issued July 31, 2007
For immediate release

Paradise Jetboating announces;
New “Safari Adventure” and Sea World Discount Combo

Paradise Jetboating, the Gold Coast’s largest Jet Boat Thrill Ride Company, has recently introduced a new and unique ride option for adventure seeking locals and visitors to the Gold Coast.

The ‘Mangrove Safari’ is an 80 minute adventure through the Broadwater and into the mangrove estuary areas of the Coomera and PimpamaRivers.

Tony Johnson, Managing Director of Paradise Jetboating, says, “We think it’s the ultimate Jet Boat experience available in Australia. Combining all of the spins, high speed drifting and other thrilling manoeuvres that Jet Boats are renowned for with the excitement of speeding through the shallow, narrow mangrove channels of this beautiful region is an unforgettable experience.”
“Travelling in as little as 10cm of water we can access areas rarely visited, and with the flat hulls, no propeller and creating little wash these boats are extremely eco friendly” Tony explains.
“Along with the popular 45 minute Broadwater Adventure and the 30 minute Jet Blast rides, the Mangrove Safari will satisfy the Thrillseeker looking for a truly unique experience.”

Other big news from Paradise Jetboating is the introduction of their Sea World Adventure Discount Combo. Holiday makers can now save money by buying a Sea World pass and Jet Boat Adventure ticket together and enjoy the novelty of being picked-up or delivered to Sea World in the Jet Boat.

Also the introduction of a free pick-up service from Surfers Paradise to their Marina at Main Beach is another development that Paradise Jetboating has made to assist holidaymakers enjoy their Gold Coast experience.

Starting in January 2005, Paradise Jetboating is the longest running Jet Boat Company in Queensland. At a cost of over $250,000, their first boat was designed and built in the same factory as the Shotover vessels in Queenstown, New Zealand.
“Now with 3 boats and almost 30,000 passengers enjoying our rides since we started, we must be doing things right.” says Tony.

ENDS

link to quoted text
http://www.nuggetfishing.com.au/articles/MEDIA%20RELEASE%2031st%20July.doc

loophole
13-08-2007, 07:35 PM
At last you can enjoy the thrills and excitement of an adrenaline pumping Jet Boat ride mixed with the incredible beauty and superb weather of this wonderful location with Paradise Jet Boating, the Gold Coast’s newest and most exciting adventure ride.

A ride on a Paradise Jet boat is more than just a thrill ride … it’s an ADVENTURE.
Feel the adrenalin pumping action of 440hp blasting you across the water at up to 80km per hour. With high speed spins, turns, twists and slides!!! Embrace the speed and sensation that only our turbo charged Paradise Jets can provide. At the same time enjoy the beauty of the Broadwater - azure waters, sandy inlets, golden beaches, deserted mangrove islands, contrasting with multi-million dollar waterfront mansions.

We cruise out of the Marina area, past the millionaires’ yachts and cruisers, helicopters and float planes, the beautiful Marina Mirage and Palazzo Versace Hotel, North towards Seaworld. Get Ready as the your skipper puts pedal to the metal and 440hp pulses through the boat, you are now about to experience the best in awesome high speed spins, turns, twists and slides.

We have now woken up the Broadwater at almost 80 km::) , we do a combination of shallow water beach buzzing, exciting nose offs, and lots of slides, fishtails and amazing 360 “degree” spins, all the way up towards Couran Cove. We then race around the sandy mangrove islands and through the narrow, shallow channels where you’ll be thrilled by the fun of the ride and the beauty of the area.

Paradise Jet Boats are built for this environment… they love the shallow water and exciting spins …… and so do the pilots.

It’s a Jet powered thrill of a lifetime and a journey through natural and manmade wonderlands… wrapped into one sensational experience.

http://www.paradisejetboating.com.au/images/pic.jpg

Slipping, sliding, fishtailing, wake surfing, pulling “nose offs” and amazing 360* spins – beach buzzing in centimetres of water at over 40 knots::) >:( (almost 80 km) – or simply cruising as you catch your breath.

bsitecopied from paradise jet boats website

loophole
13-08-2007, 07:49 PM
not supporting the practice, tho the speed limit in Smooth Waters is 40 knots (nautical miles/hour), which equates to about 74 km/h. if they're doing 70 km/h outside the 6 knot zones, they're legal.

gelsec this is what i copied from paradise jetboats website.

Slipping, sliding, fishtailing, wake surfing, pulling “nose offs” and amazing 360* spins – beach buzzing in centimetres of water at over 40 knots ::) >:( (almost 80 km) – or simply cruising as you catch your breath.

We have now woken up the Broadwater at almost 80 km,::) >:( we do a combination of shallow water beach buzzing, exciting nose offs, and lots of slides, fishtails and amazing 360 “degree” spins, all the way up towards Couran Cove. We then race around the sandy mangrove islands and through the narrow, shallow channels where you’ll be thrilled by the fun of the ride and the beauty of the area.

this is what the company have admitted to doing now correct me if im wrong but the seaway and some other areas are 40knots.

seatime
13-08-2007, 09:05 PM
loophole, you're right mate 40 kts is the max speed limit throughout the Broadwater, rivers, creeks, boat harbours, dams, past Jumpinpin & Sthn Moreton Bay to an imaginary line drawn between Cleveland Pt & Amity Pt, unless otherwise signed (which will be slower e.g. 6 kts).

1 nautical mile = 1.852 km
40 knots = 74.08 km/h

if they're advertising "over 40 knots" and "almost 80km/h" they're probably exaggerating to make it sound better for the punters. you could bring this to the attention of the authorities that it's promoting they break speed limits. worth a shot ??

Steve

finga
14-08-2007, 07:49 AM
Or we all have a ride and then sue them for false advertising :D

Whitto
14-08-2007, 09:31 AM
I agree with Finga, maybe we should have a M&G up the Coomera,of course it will have to be renamed to M&G&B (Meet and Greet and Baracade);) , Just a thought, Cheers Whitto>:(

GAFYM
14-08-2007, 11:29 AM
Whitto...Good idea
Just picture 30+ boats of all sizes and shapes staggered all over the water they want to use.
Be some pissed off tourists i would reckon

therapy
14-08-2007, 01:01 PM
Absolutely mind boggling that this could be allowed to happen. Anyone with the slightest knowledge of fish habitats and life cycles knows that these shallow mangrove areas are the nursery of our marine life. To allow these "ECO FRIENDLY" vessels to fly around these special areas is environmentally negligent at best and criminal at worst. From a fisho's point of view, I know how dangerous it can be planing along in your tinny in some of our local creeks when another boat comes around the corner from the opposite direction even at reasonable speeds. To think that these boats will be travelling at the speeds advertised in a shared waterway is a recipe for disaster and it won't be the jet boat or it's passengers that will come off second best in a collision with a small to medium private vessel.
To everyone who has mention some sort of protest/blockade, count me in. Perhaps the mod could make this a sticky somewhere on the site.(do we have a protest section??) Once again I express my own disbelief at the stupidity of this decision and look forward to seeing some comment from some G.C locals.
Cheers Terry....

AutoPilot
14-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Hi all,
What a load of crap.......>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Its bad enough that they Zoooom around the Broadwater endangering human life......thats going to bring the accident rate up to 100%....."Not happy Nugget"...
What about our young fish trying to grow up in the Mangroves....Surely this will not go ahead.
Anyway thats my two cents worth......>:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Regards
Scott

loophole
14-08-2007, 02:31 PM
this is all true the jet boats are dangerous and environmentaly damaging

Chimo
14-08-2007, 02:38 PM
If this proposal, as advertised thru Nugget etc is true, would the body that licenced this activity (high speed thrill rides thru mangrove etc) be the same body that is looking to lock up ten percent of each of the various sectors of moreton bay?:-*

happy thrill riding::)

Chimo

Fish Guts
14-08-2007, 04:33 PM
I think theres two points.
* Safety concerns about erratic driiving as they are reknown for.
* damage to marine environement and marine life

I think if this escalates you could, as a concerned fisherman and boatie.

1-Plan visible protests of anchoring in the routes of these operators , over a couple of months on weekends in planned areas.

2- media exposure of these protests through nuggets 4bc fishing show on weekends, courier mail, 9,7. (dont tell me there arent some ausfish members on here not from any of these organsiations)

3- statements from some leading marine biologists from uni of qld, sunshine coast uni, grifith uni & also sea world regarding the detrimental effect this sort of operation could have on marine life.

4- statements from some leading experts in marine safety regarding the nature of this operation and risks involved.

I think a combination of these two strategies will certainly bring this to the attention of the right people.

cheers

fish guts

loophole
14-08-2007, 05:35 PM
fish guts rule out sea world to back us up on this. Seawrld are in on it if you buy a ticket for seaworld you can buy a ticket for the jet boatrides fo half price and they will convienitly pich you up in the boat from the back of Sea world.
so in a way there supporting this >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

oscar64
14-08-2007, 06:06 PM
Hey Guys

Before we moved up here we used to enjoy going out most arvos with my mate who still lives in Runaway Bay. We had on mMORE THAN ONE occasion one of these souped up knobheads pass between our baot and teh seaway rockwall, while we wree casting lures for tailor and trevally a,as well as being buzzed while fishing teh many great flatty banks around and below Sovereign.

We reported these actions about a dozen times to Watreways, even to teh head of teh dept at Southport, all we ever got was some bs about teh fact they would look into it.
I believe those banks are now pretty much stuffed to fish, and I even saw them in very close at Jennifer Ave , a place a lot of locals use dto swim with tehir kids.

These guys are a joke.

THEY HAVE THEIR RIGHTFUL PLACE- IN BLOODY NZ RIVERS, OR ON TEH 36 ERS.

jmho

Pete

NormC
11-09-2007, 03:25 PM
Some time back there was a thread on this topic with concerns being raised about plans for a Gold Coast jetboat operator to run commercial jetboat trips into the mangrove areas of the Coomera and Pimpima Rivers.

I undertook a bit of an e-mail campaign to Gold Coast Mayor and Councillors as well as State politicians and Ministers.

I have had a number of responses, all giving support, but not a lot of action. Gold Coast Deputy Mayor, David Power seemed to be most interested and forwarded my email to the Transport Minister with his support. Today I got a response from Phil Reeves MP, Parlimentary Secretary to the Minister for Transport, which I've copied below.

'Dear Mr C.............

Re: Jet boat operations - Coomera and Pimpama Rivers
I refer to your email message of 2 August 2007 to Councillor David Power,
Deputy Mayor, Gold Coast City, about the operations of commercial jet
boats in the Coomera and Pimpama River systems. Councillor Power
forwarded your message to the Honourable Paul Lucas MP, Minister for
Transport and Main Roads for direct reply. The Minister has asked that I
respond on his behalf.
As you may know, these areas are part of the Moreton Bay Marine Park. From
an environmental perspective, activities in the park are regulated under a
zoning plan administered by the Environmental Protection Agency through
the Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service (QPWS). Marine safety matters
are regulated under legislation administered by Maritime Safety Queensland
(MSQ).
Mechanisms have previously been put in place to ensure the maintenance of
safety standards of jet boat operations on The Broadwater, and QPWS have
advised that permits issued to Paradise Jetboating include conditions that
place limitations on their mode of operations in the Marine Park.
In view of recent concerns that have been raised regarding the extension
of the jet boat operations into more confined and sensitive waterways, MSQ
is liaising with QPWS regarding the management of these activities and has
forwarded the agency a copy of your message. QPWS has advised MSQ that it
has written to Paradise Jetboating regarding its operations in sensitive
zones of the Marine Park, and that QPWS is assessing the matter further.
Should you wish to discuss the matter directly with QPWS, it can be
contacted through its district office at Cleveland. MSQ is also assessing
the safety aspects of the operations in conjunction with the review that
it is currently undertaking of speed limits in Gold Coast waterways.

Thank you for bringing this matter to the Minister's attention.
Yours sincerely

PHIL REEVES MP
Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Transport'

Seems to be some real action here, with QPWS writing to Paradise Jetboating (the operator) about the concerns.

I am not aware of the proposed operations into the rivers being commenced. If anyone sees Jetboats in the rivers, you might let me know as maintenance of momentum on issues like this can be important.

Norm C

the gecko
11-09-2007, 05:09 PM
i havent seen em in the coomera yet, but I'll keep an eye out for you. Isee em every weekend at labrador.

the easiest way to find out, would be to ring up posing as a paying passenger.

Andrew

Ausfish
11-09-2007, 05:46 PM
Good on you for getting on to it.

But the letter looks like the typical mirror response "We are looking into it", "We will review it". Nothing in there saying they will take action and what outcome their expecting to achieve from that action.

Will also merged this with the original thread.

the gecko
12-09-2007, 12:54 PM
I agree with steve, 'we are looking into it' doesnt sound strong.

Heres a few more facts from the operator. I rang them direct.

"The mangrove safari runs daily at high tide, but we need a minimum of 6 pax or it doesnt go.
We run straight up the broadwater at 40knts and enter thru the North arm of Coomera, thru to Sanc Cove and back.
The speed limit is 40 knt thru the Nth arm if you are under 8m and we are 7m in length.
We travel at 40 knts thru shallow water because if we back off the speed, we would hit bottom!!!"

Not happy Jan.

loophole
12-09-2007, 04:09 PM
We travel at 40 knts thru shallow water because if we back off the speed, we would hit bottom!!!"

but if we up the speed will probably end up hitting other boats.....

joeT
14-09-2007, 03:22 AM

Does that mean if there is something unexpectedly in the way (ie. me standing knee deep in the water) they won't slow down but just try to get around me at 40knots or just run me down? ::)

The fact those circumstances exist where they can't slow down means that shouldn't be there in the first place. And to have that sort of attitude shows they have total disregard for the safety of others.

loophole
14-09-2007, 06:55 PM
2 true joeT no doubt these jet boats WONT be stopping for anything in their way
weather it be me fishing in me tinny or you wading knee deep through the water.
as stopping is impossile and would be an incovenince to them .>:( >:( .