PDA

View Full Version : Any Chefs

Wahoo
31-07-2007, 04:52 PM
looking at buying an All-Clad fry pan in stainless steel, i have been told that even the S/S is meant to be treated like a wok at first.......... get it very hot with a bit of oil till it goes black/brown, is this correct ?

thanks
Daz

goldie 70
31-07-2007, 09:21 PM
Season the pan by Dry Frying it with a layer of salt to take any impurities and then reheat it with a layer of oil.

Cheers
Goldie

Wahoo
01-08-2007, 05:54 AM
ok thanks Goldie, i never knew this had to be done with S/S also

Daz

alfish
01-08-2007, 10:15 PM
looking at buying an All-Clad fry pan in stainless steel, i have been told that even the S/S is meant to be treated like a wok at first.......... get it very hot with a bit of oil till it goes black/brown, is this correct ?

thanks
Daz

Daz
woks are made of mild steel (sometimes refered to to as black steel) and need to be proved (tempered).
stainless is ready for use immediately.

as for the use of salt on black steel pans, a pile of bullsh*t, this is from the days prior to the types of scourers we use today. the nature of salt is that it doesn't change when heated, so can be used to abraid the surface of the the pan.

the amount of cr*p i hear sprouted about what to do with pans is unbelievable, people quoting verbatum from sources that know zilch!!!!!!

with mild steel pans i.e. woks, heat until the blue temper colour appears, and cool with edible oil.
when the metal expands due to the heat the oil is absorbed into the surface this create a non stick surface as good as any teflon and totally renewable when heating prior to use do not over heat as this will break down the oil causing it to become sticky and losing its lubricating properties.
irreversible oil breakdown starts the moment it starts to smoke.

good luck with some of the answers you get to this post

al

sorry about the shouting and screaming but the other sort of lubricant has .........

alfish
01-08-2007, 10:19 PM
Season the pan by Dry Frying it with a layer of salt to take any impurities and then reheat it with a layer of oil.

Cheers
Goldie

just wash it well, and rub it with a green scourer, its a bit easier.

al :)

Wahoo
02-08-2007, 05:46 PM
thanks for the heads up Al ;) 8-)
this subject came up again today, was talking with an ol pom chef and he said to season it also:-/ and now im confuzzzzzzed:-/:-/:-/:-/

i now might get 2, season 1 and not the other ;D

Daz

alfish
02-08-2007, 06:20 PM
you'll have some pretty colours on your ss pan

Sandman
02-08-2007, 06:26 PM
Its worth seasoning all your pans before cooking most have teflon on them now but i cook from the old school best pans i own are old scilets cast and more recentlt scan pans with copper outlay and stainless cooking base.
No need to throw salt on them however cast pans use to recieve this treatment.
Buy the way i use to be a chef ..
Regards Sandman

Wahoo
02-08-2007, 06:36 PM
Its worth seasoning all your pans before cooking most have teflon on them now but i cook from the old school best pans i own are old scilets cast and more recentlt scan pans with copper outlay and stainless cooking base.
No need to throw salt on them however cast pans use to recieve this treatment.
Buy the way i use to be a chef ..
Regards Sandman

thanks Sandman
i have been given quite a few different answers on this :-/

Daz

Sandman
03-08-2007, 08:53 AM
Daz,
The idea about seasoning your pans is so that nothing sticks and you use less oil , Never scrub your pans with wire if they are stainless simply soak them then clean over time you have a well seasoned pan- this applyies more to cast pans as they are poorus (spelling?) Stainless pans need to be seasoned each use by using a table spoon of good oil or Gee , you can use butter but this tends to burn due to solids....
I do prefer cast or steel over such as a wok over any other metal to cook with as they retain flavour.
Regards
Mick

Wahoo
03-08-2007, 07:10 PM
Hi Mick, just picked up the new pan 2day, might give the seasoning a go over the weekend
thanks
Daz