PDA

View Full Version : new motor

sharkymark2
30-07-2007, 06:47 PM
I am close to buying a new motor for my Nautiglass v150 half cabin. I previously owned one of them with a 55HP evinrude "colloquially know as a hand grenade' . A marine repair shop down at Coorparoo told me that it would need to be serviced within 3 months and have the heads removed for an inspection; well it blew up>:( on the next trip at just above idle. Con rod through the side of the block:-[. I have an 80 model vro 50 hp Evinrude on it, that starts well and runs good; but has the trim and tilt removed. I am feeling that I don't want to trust it a lot. I am thinking of replacing it with a new motor; possibly a 50 or 60 2 stroke. Got any suggestions and had any good pricing lately? Thanks for any replies.

mjbpjk
30-07-2007, 07:06 PM
Hi,
Have you considered a 4stroke?
I only ask as when I was looking for my new boat package the price between the 2st and 4st was bugger all.
And the difference in weight was only 12.5kg
I have bought a 60merc 4st EFI and cannot comment on it as its still being delivered but i haven’t heard any bad reports on them to date.

Best of luck with the new purchase
Cheers Pete

sharkymark2
30-07-2007, 10:49 PM
Thanks Pete. If you don't mind me asking; what price did you get on the 60HP mercury 4 stroke? If you don't want to broadcast it can you give us a tingle on 0432040161. Appreciate it . Best of luck with your new motor. Mark.

timddo
31-07-2007, 11:23 AM
Price of 2 stroke and 4 stroke bugger all???? i got quoted another $4000 ???. You must be shopping at the rite place, mines a 115

Noelm
31-07-2007, 03:29 PM
kind of doubt that an 80 model 50HP would have had tilt n trim it was available as an option on the 55HP and it was an exyernal sort of unit, not between the stern brackets as is on the bigger motors 70HP and above, the early 55 did have some problems but i think if it went this long it was either Ok or had the mod done to it and yours was just coincidence that it died.

Noelm
31-07-2007, 03:32 PM
OH, back to the original question, unless you are going to keep the boat for a very long time, I think I would be looking at a newer second hand motor because if you put a brand new motor on it, then the boat will still be probably worth less than the motor costs, or at best about the same price as the motor.

sharkymark2
31-07-2007, 11:43 PM
Hi noelm. I had a 55 hp many years ago; after it blew up I tried ringing around to all the wreckers hoping to get a block. Thats when I learned that all the wreckers called them hand grenades. Trade people know so much more than us. Yes my motor does have trim and tilt. The last owner removed the external system to get it repaired but was to expensive. I still have it. As far as a newer motor goes I see them for around $3000 with no warranty and heavens knows what kind of lifestyle and why are they selling it anyway ??????? So I might be up for another $3000 but then I have peace off mind and the confidence to go further than I would with a secondhand motor. My partner comes out with me most times and I dont want to put her through a scary experience like I had with previous motor. I gues if I kept it for 3 years I would still get the right money for it later hey. Thanks for your comments.

snelly1971
01-08-2007, 12:35 AM
Isnt the 60 yammie 4 banger the same as or lighter than the 60 two stroke....the 60 4s are a great little bullet proof motor ...but then again so are any of the smaller yammie 2 strokes...

Cheers Mick

Noelm
01-08-2007, 08:11 AM
I was actually working for an OMC dealer at the time the 55HP had all the problems, and I rebuilt heaps (as well as complete powerheads supplied under warranty) but I had a pair on my Seafarer and never had a moments trouble with them, and I believe that they are still going today! if they where rebuilt they had no problems at all, so most of the wreckers would be dealing with the old ones and the ones that blew up, hence the bad reputation.

sharkymark2
01-08-2007, 09:19 PM
yes Noelm I wish mine had been rebuilt before it blew up. I wish that they had advised me to leave it behind for an inspection. Oh well. Any good deals going on a yamaha 60 4 stroke or any other motor?