PDA

View Full Version : Any Mercury-savvy Ausfishers out there?

fozzy
30-07-2007, 12:36 PM
Guys,

I have a mid 1990's 90 hp 3 cylinder 2 stroke merc.

Noticed on the weekend that the telltale water was not even warm, even after a long run.

Pulled the thermostat out last night, expecting to see it in the jammed open position (motor was well cold by then) but it was closed and it opens when you drop it into boiling water. (Only going on the fact I once had a VN Commodore that wouldn't come up to temp and eventually found it was a failed-open t'stat)

My questions are:

Does the telltale water actually get warm on this model? It's along time since I ever checked this motor but i know previous 50 hp units I owned would warm up after a few minutes.

If it's not a permanently open t'stat, what else might be the problem?

What function does the poppet valve assebly which is part of the cooling water system provide/

Any advice appreciated!

Dave

Dory4.1
30-07-2007, 01:01 PM
Dave,

From memory, the water from the tell tail on my Evinrude is cold, it is only an indication that the water pump is working and not that water is actually going through the engine . The hot water comes out of a port half way down the leg, and through the prop hub. I make sure I can see water coming out of the port on the leg periodically as well as water from the tell tail.

Rgs
Michael

PADDLES
30-07-2007, 01:06 PM
i've got a mid 90's 135 v6 merc fozzy and the water definitely gets warm from the tell tale. how long are you running it for, is it getting up to temperature? it'll take quite a few minutes.

fozzy
30-07-2007, 01:11 PM
Paddles, it was run for an hour or so tooling around in the bay at all sorts of speeds, so I would have expected it to come up to temp. Didn't notice any loss of performance or anything, but I would have expected warm water out of the telltale, which is why I ask the question.

PADDLES
30-07-2007, 02:52 PM
welllllllllllllll, yep i would have been expecting warm water then. i thought you had it on the muffs in the back yard. what temp did the thermostat close back up again fozzy? is it staying open at too low of a temp? a merc manual should tell ya what the opening/closing temp should be.

Seahorse
30-07-2007, 05:43 PM
i have only checked the water temp on my merc when i got the ears on when flushing and is always cold. mine is 2006 75hp.

bay_firey
30-07-2007, 07:10 PM
Got a 99 model 115 ELPTO and the teltale water does get warm when i flush it out in the drum after a day on the water.

It only takes a few minutes to warm up.