PDA

View Full Version : overhead reel for reef fishing

trev1
29-07-2007, 08:43 PM
looking for an overhead reel to fish the reefs with. Got to have level wind, prefer lever drag. ( giving up handlining for large coral trout and lipper after many bust-offs with 80 pound mono and associated damage to hands)

2rods
29-07-2007, 09:36 PM
I have a shimano "Charter special" that I run 80 pound braid on for reef fishing. I have landed huge sleepy sharks (12 footers) on it no issues at all as well as trout, red emp and goldies.

They are a very good reel for the price IMHO.. come in 2 sizes... bigger one might be better if you are in deep water.

The other option is a Penn 320.. I have 2 of them that I have just retired after years of service. They are going to be for my boys when they get older;D

There are better reels around but you will pay big $$$$ for them.

cheers

2rods

Black_Rat
29-07-2007, 09:42 PM
trev1,

I've owned a 330 GTI level wind for an offsore rig.
Moved to a TLD 25, the onto a Tryos 30 :)

A level wind is not for me :(

Damo.

trev1
30-07-2007, 07:56 AM
I've already got a penn 45gls and a tld20 that are non level wind, I've decided its something I require for this style of fishing.
I didn't think that the charter specials were "robust" enough for 80 pound braid, or this " drop it down and skull drag them out style of fishing". I will give them a look.

BenatCoffs
30-07-2007, 09:44 AM
If you'll move away from lever drag, then Tekota 700 may fit the bill?

Charter Special hasn't got the drag to fish 80 and benefit, but 50 is better. When was the last time you got busted off on 80lb mainline? What about 50? I fish 50 finns on a saltist and when I get reefed by kings there is a hell of a lot of effort to bust that...

mariner_22
30-07-2007, 12:59 PM
Yeah mate if you are chasing a level-wind reel go have a look at the Tekota series either the 700 or 800. You might even want to look at some of th bigger Penn models like the Penn 345 Gti for fishing 50-80lb.

trev1
30-07-2007, 03:15 PM
When was the last time you got busted off on 80lb mainline?
Yesterday and the day before. about 20 times. It aint that hard when you're talking 2-3 foot long coral trout in coral reef country - I'm just sick of the associated hand damage. You will easily feel the stretch in 100 pound mono trying to turn these fish in the 2 seconds they give you to do so and I'm not crazy enough to try braid on a handline.

reggy
30-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Hi Trev

It sounds like it`s the sharp coral you are losing the fish to.
I would forget the lever drag and get a 700 Tekota, load it with 50 or 80 lb braid and the most important part, a 150 lb flurocarbon leader of about 20ft.
Put this on a short 25kg stick and go get those trout.

good luck
Reggy;)

dfox
30-07-2007, 07:37 PM
Trev- your wasting your time going to a rod and reel, your hands might survive but if there busting you up on 80lb or 100lb hand lines then all the rod will do is cause more hard ache. Ive mucked around quite a bit on big trout with rod setups, ive used short strokers with 110lb braid and a penn international 50sw and found it not only dangerous (nearly lost fingers) and with big drag pressures ive often nearly gone overboard. Most of the time the fish just bricks you anyway.Handlines are the only real way to go or a deck winch. Of coarse its up to you, but be prepared to lose alot of tackle.
Of coarse im talking some serious size fish but even 10lb trout go hard, when you do win however the fish can be the size of the one in this pic or bigger, not much good for anything as most are to big to risk eating or like this one a footballer over 80cm...foxy