PDA

View Full Version : overbinds

roz
29-07-2007, 03:34 PM
Now here is something I've never been sure of.

The number of over binds.

I would'nt expect it to be the same for a light spin stick v's a standup boat rod with and overhead. Well, perhaps it is.....?

I would be interested getting some advice or opinions on most types of rods.

cheers roz.

Owen
29-07-2007, 04:09 PM
I reckon that unless you're talking a pretty serious line class the a single layer will be fine.
I would have thought a 20kg line class spin outfit would place more stress on the thread than the same line class with an overhead.
The latter is pulling the guide into the blank, whilst the former is trying to tear the guides off the rod.
If I WAS going to do two overbinds then I'd probably do the bottom one in A and the top one in C just so it wrapped easier.

It's be interesting to hear if anyone has actually seen a guide come off the blank.

I'll be in Coffs in a couple of weeks. If there's a particular spot where you're concerned aboutguides getting torn off rods, I'll take one for the team and try a few combinations ;)

mikeyh
29-07-2007, 09:27 PM
Im with you Owen,
I have been building rods for over 20 years and whilst not at the fishing legend status of some of the fellas here...I have never seen a guide even come close to moving. Unless you are getting into serious 24kg + gear, dont worry about it (although having said that it is critical that you underbind). I finished a rod this week for chasing big GT's and it is the first rod I have ever double bound...and it probably wasnt necessary anyway. I used A over A with no probs. If anyone has lost a guide from a fish you must be catching the kind of thing I have only seen on scuba;)

tight lines Mike

blaze
29-07-2007, 10:31 PM
I am going to rebuild a rod for a mate, only a cheapo 24kg (really more 15kg I think), roller tip. Every eye has been loosened on the blank, threads all seem streched and eyes can rotate about 90 degree. The rod was done in on a 7 foot school shark from 120 metres. Never seen any thing like it before. Maybe this is a cas for double binding.
cheers
blaze

finga
30-07-2007, 08:09 AM
I underbind and double overbind everyfriggin'thing. Why??Because I can and I need the practice. :P
That and some of the woozzy 'a' threads I use needs two layers just to get some depth of colour :-/
Cheers Scott :)

Noelm
30-07-2007, 10:48 AM
I always double overbind any game rod over 10KG, (triple on 60) and single bind spinning rods, not too sure why, it was just the way I was shown by a "guru" who taught me the fine art of rod building and never saw any reason to change.

grave41
01-08-2007, 01:07 AM
A mate of mine was on the sand pumping jetty at Southport when an asian gent got a big jew in to the bottom of the pylons. He offered to help him walk it down the side to the beach as he was using 50lb line and had no cliff gaff.The gent had some words with his mate who told him to just winch it up its strong enough.He tried .It popped every runner from the tip down on the old jarvis walker.Pulled them clean off, needless to say the fish swam free and 2 minutes later another gent arrived with a cliff gaff. He came home with the biggest smile on his face using a few well chosen expletives.
Graham

finga
01-08-2007, 06:45 AM
So the binding is like a fuse in the switchboard eh Graham.
They're designed to pop instead of the rod??
Gees I wished I could have seen that... would have been a bit funny I reckon :)
Makes you want to be able to talk Asian just so you could truely appreciate the scene.
:)