PDA

View Full Version : line for sp's

woody74
28-07-2007, 08:39 PM
Hey there people, just a quick question about what line to spool for sp's, on a basic sp combo. Land based if that helps, and what would be the best allround strength line to use. CHEERS woody

TheSaint
28-07-2007, 08:53 PM
Fireline in either 4lb or 6lb in flame green or pink..

4lb in the pink is what i'm currently using on my setups..

woody74
28-07-2007, 09:06 PM
cheers for that saint, another silly question, jigheads, should you use the same brand name or mix and match. CHEERS woody

tunaticer
29-07-2007, 01:40 AM
Yeah Woody, Same as Saint reckons for line.

Jigheads will be whatever suits your lure selection and fish target and water conditions/depth/current. Don't be afraid to use a larger hook but don't weigh the lure down so its not a natural presentation in the strike zone. Too many fish are missed/lost using too small a hook trying to get it as light as possible.

You should also be using a good length of fluorocarbon leader too. In clear waters 3-4m will usually do the job dirtier waters can be shorter and muddy water its not needed.

Jack.

BilgeBoy
29-07-2007, 02:15 PM
Hi Woody

I use fireline crystal and love the stuff. Jig heads...mix em up and have a play. I find that some brands work better than others...Nitro are my pick.

Regards

BilgeBoy

craig51063
29-07-2007, 02:50 PM
yeah fireline is the go its what i use

woody74
29-07-2007, 08:20 PM
cheers for the much needed replies fellas. What sort of leader, pound and type should you use? Can you just use a cheep mono or do you have to buy something else? CHEERS woody

BenatCoffs
30-07-2007, 09:49 AM
I use LiveFibre TX 4lb braid and have found a massive reduction in wind knots from using fireline in the past. It is also thinner diameter and similarly priced.

For leader I use Seaguar Fluorocarbon 4, 6 and 12lb.Price per metre is significantly higher than the braid.

Plenty of people are happy using fireline and vanish so you likely will be too.

As you are landbased I would look at higher poundage, 6 or 8 for mainline - when landbased you are often directing a fish straight into cover - sometimes you need a little more 'come here' than if you are on a boat or kayak.

TheSaint
30-07-2007, 03:03 PM
Seaguar is a good leader for it's cost but you will find sunline basic fc is better value @ $25 for 300m compared to seaguar @ $7-8 for 25m

I would get the range between 4-12lb also

TIMMY 666
30-07-2007, 04:29 PM
4 - 10lb pink fireline (I use 4lb in pink and like it) with linesystem, seaguar or vanish fluorocarbon leader in 4 - 15lb depending on where you are fishing and what fish you are targeting. Or if you want an allround leader I'd probably go for 10lb. As for jigheads I usually buy berkley nitro, gamakatsu or TT, I just get whichever has the best suited jighead for me at the time.

Hope this helps,

Tim.