PDA

View Full Version : TLD drag help

ashh
28-07-2007, 03:09 PM
I picked up a new second hand TLD25 and am wondering how to actually use the drag to the best of its ability.
I know how to use smaller over heads like Abu 6000, but have never used a TLD lever drag and dont have any instructions.
I dont want to get smoked if I hook up with the drag setup wrong. So....

When I first set up the drag, do I move the lever all the way forward in the 'more' direction and then use the fine tune knob to set the maximum desired drag?

Then just use the lever to control the drag during a fight?

Obviously when the lever is all the way down in the 'less' direction it goes into the free spool for line release.

Whats the purpose of the black button that gets pressed in when the lever is moved to the top of the reel, between the 'more' and 'less' writing on the reel.

Help!

blaze
28-07-2007, 03:22 PM
IMO
the knurl knob is to pre set drag, I pre set my drag at 5kg when the lever is up to the little black button.As you know now we have from free spool to 5kg at the black button. Thats the area I use my lever in dependand on what the fish is doing, lot of line out you can back it of a bit and the same close to the boat. After the black button is SUNSET, use it when you must (getting spooled by a big shark etc) but you can most likely expect a bust off.
cheers
blaze

ashh
28-07-2007, 03:27 PM
thanks mate :)

bluefin59
28-07-2007, 05:09 PM
Important point with the t.l.d always set the drag with the centre nurled dial with the lever pulled all the way back to free spool otherwise you will damage the drag washers mate then push the lever forward check drag again then all the way back to freespool until keep doing this until drag is set to about 1/3 breaking strain of line dont push past black botton on the top to set drag i hope that makes sense adjust drag in freespool only this is very important mate ...matt

death_ship
28-07-2007, 10:36 PM
be careful in freespool if the ratchet is off it can over run and you will be in a world of poo especially when setting lures or if something takes off with your bait. bulletproof reel but. oh and always store the reel in freespool with the ratchet off, but always wash it with the drag on strike. keeps the drag washers in good nic.