PDA

View Full Version : Stale Fuel?

Slime
28-07-2007, 11:40 AM
It has been a while since I had the boat out, probably at least a couple of months. I run an E-tec 115. It had fresh fuel last time I went out, but I am wondering if I should go to the effort of draining all the fuel out and filling up with fresh stuff, or would it still be OK? I am wondering if the problem of oil mixing with old fuel is not such a problem on an injected engine like the E-Tec. Opinions please?
Thanks – Slime

BM
28-07-2007, 11:53 AM
2 months is borderline. Would you prefer to go to the effort of working to pay for a rebuild???

FNQCairns
28-07-2007, 12:33 PM
Yeah not so much of a problem on these "run at the edge engines" the computer will sense any knock and retard to suit so you may see poor performance and economy compared to typical, but how long is a while?

That said I would take BM's advice if it were mine, fuel is cheap in comparison to almost any engine problem these days.

cheers fnq

Fish Guts
28-07-2007, 04:48 PM
slime,

you could also purchase some fuel conditoner and octane booster which should get you through.

cheers

fish guts

shags101
28-07-2007, 04:59 PM
suck it out run it thru the car.if there is any chance it is off rather the car play up that the boat out on the water

samson
28-07-2007, 05:48 PM
Use it 2 months is nothing i've used some old stuff over a year old and had no probs.

wasted
28-07-2007, 07:36 PM
I am also worried about the fuel in my boat it holds 127lts and i have been just topping it up each trip over the last 8 months these new engines dont use much. Tried draning it out but that proved impossible without a pump have now resorted to carrying a 20litre container so i can run the tank down close to empty before i fill it. Never have trusted fuel gauges wished under floor tanks came with a dipper.

dnej
28-07-2007, 07:42 PM
No way should you use it. Sixty days ,open to the atmosphere,no way.Dont risk it
David

BM
28-07-2007, 07:57 PM
Its too late for fuel conditioner and octane booster won't counteract the nasty chemical compounds that form as the reactive components of the fuel break down/combine.

Cheers

Slime
28-07-2007, 09:43 PM
Thanks for all your interesting replies to my post. I have decided to siphon it into the car and start again. It‘s not like it will take that long and it will get burnt up anyway so it is not going to be wasted. Better to be safe than sorry. My feeling is that it would be OK anyway, as the engine management would retard the ignition if the octane was down and as the oil is injected directly into the crankcase without fuel, there would not be any problem with the oil mixing with the fuel as it doesn’t have to. Perhaps I might start using a fuel conditioner as a matter or course. I know someone who swears by Evinrude 2+2 and I have used it in the past with premix outboards successfully. Are there any other products that I should consider, or is it better to just keep the fuel fresh?

Ta - Slime

BM
28-07-2007, 10:32 PM
Keeping fresh fuel is the simplest, no nonsense way of ensuring you keep smiling about your boating experience.

Kerry
29-07-2007, 08:58 AM
The fresh fuel, simple no nonsense approach is certainly what is required these days with the way our fuel is these days. Perhaps the biggest problem these days are the many wives tales and myths especially with regard consdensation that many appear to over look.

In simple terms

- bad/stale/old fuel will blow engines, this is not a myth
- fueling up after a trip in thinking it will reduce condenstation is a myth
- Most fuel tanks in boats are open/vented
- There has been suggestions that even after 30 days fuel has lost enough bite to be bad
- The unknown is what age is the fuel in the first place
- Buying premix direct can be a real trap, age etc
- Premix fuel will die well before straight fuel
- if fuel is managed properly there is no need for octane boosters, stabilizers etc
- Dilution is really not all that effective with increasing octane
- one uses old/aged fuel knowing full well of the consequences
- never trust a fuel gauge