PDA

View Full Version : 5.2 kevlacat

Dean1
26-07-2007, 11:48 AM
Hi guys, just wondering what your opinions are on this kevlacat im looking at. Its an all 98 model black marlin 5.2 kevlacat on ally trailer with twin 2 stroke yamaha's on it with 380hrs on the whole rig. Its in victoria so im flying down saturday to have a look at it. It looks a tidy thing its $47 500 plus about $2000 to get it up to brisbane. Sound reasonable?? Thanks for any suggestions. Deano.

julian1
26-07-2007, 12:52 PM
what about the one on Boatpoint with Yammie 60 4 strokes I think its up your way ?

Dean1
26-07-2007, 01:05 PM
Thanx julian i saw that one, sorta leant towards this one coz of the ally trailer and late model hull. Just found out the one on boatpoint sold for full price so its gone anyway. Cheers mate.

fly_1
26-07-2007, 02:09 PM
Mate, if its any good, buy it!!! As for that price its a steal.
To get a good one now, with 4 stroke engines etc, and an alloy trailer, you are fast approaching the 65k mark. So although its only got 2 strokes onit, its still bloody cheap. ( assuming its in good cond etc etc....)

Regards

fly_1

Dean1
26-07-2007, 06:34 PM
Yeah i thought so fly 1. I will eventually put 4's on her, just use the 2 strokes for a while. I wont lose any money thats for sure. Theres a pic of it in the trading post online. Cheers mate.

cormorant
27-07-2007, 12:11 AM
Check the trailer is braked properly as different rules in VIC and also many ally trailers are not designed that well so have a close look and susu out it's pedigree. To re register it may have to have a propper engineers blue slip so check with your local guys to see what is involved and what they will pass. Some wally's down south build trailers too wide and have axels in position that don't comply for NSW but I don't know the QLD system. A lot of Vic trailers are stamped earlier dates than they were built to get around more stringent brakes laws so have aclose look atr brakes .

That works out a reasonably heavy rig so hope you have something to tow it comfortably with.

Do the ususal and make sure you do a water test as some ride different to others and won't accpt trim if not set up properly and also get compression tests by someone who knows what they are doing. They are a Yamaha dealer so should know compression and service history but get em to do it in front of you. Ask to speak with previous owner and don't accept no for an answer as it is amazing what they will tell ya.

That'a dealer selling and they seem to have a lot of second hand stock for sale so you should be able to bargain very hard as 2 stroke cats are like lemons in yards down South in winter. Find out if it is on consignment or do they own it etc etc.

Cats like 2 strokes as they have the hole shot to put em on the plane with smaller motors quicker due to lighter weight and bigger balls if propped right. Be careful on the repower with those and make sure you go with a package you know someones else is using.

I assume that you can't get counter rotation in 70's Yamaha so how does this affect the way these handle??

Good luck and play hard- very hard. I know they are expensive new but with 2 strokes and in Melbourne I think this dealer is waiting for a QLD to buy it so .

They should have a boat courier they use so negotiate that as well but make sure it is insured while it is done if you buy it.

C

cormorant
27-07-2007, 12:13 AM
Edit - duplicate post

Marlin_Mike
27-07-2007, 06:26 AM
you seen the one john crawford marine has at Tingalpa in his yard?

Mike

Dean1
27-07-2007, 04:37 PM
Thanx for the advice cormaront, i know they arent negotiable, theres actually a guy prepared to pay more than me so i know i wont get it cheaper. The brakes are hydraulic overriders so they will b fine up here, its under 2 tonne. I have a turbo diesel 4wd rodeo to tow it so all good there. The owner is coming on the water test tomorrow with me so that'll be helpful. There doing a compression test in front of me tommorow, my mobile outboard mechanic up here knows the guys down there really well and found out the history which is all sweet. Its a 1 owner who is fussy apparently, so ill see tommorow ;) Hey mike i looked at the one at crawfords, its a very rough hull, ex pro boat by the look of it bout a 87 model, seen more seas than ive had hot feeds but thanx for pointing it out 8-)

cormorant
27-07-2007, 04:46 PM
Goodluck. I don't quite get the someone else is ready to pay more lark because I don't know many salseman who haven't used it!! Glad to see you've got your bases covered as it is too bigger expenditure to not buy the right one.

I'll finish with everything is negotiable no matter what he says. I'll start with mate I wan't $1000 off being 1/4 of boatyards selling fee and it doesn't affect what the owner gets- you get the idea. No such thing as list price and others paying more and if so they can surely tell you to walk and get the extra and would be fools not to as it is not as if they are ever going to see you again. No such thing as pressure tactics unless you see the other party there with cash and know he is fair dinkum.

Again hope you find the boat you want and drive the deal you want.

C

Kerry
27-07-2007, 04:46 PM
If the trailer is made by Seatorque marine then will be absolutely no drama with it.

Also absolutely no drama with 70 2S's as far as power goes on a 5.2KC.

Also if an original 98 model then there will also be no drama with the motor setup either!

Dean1
27-07-2007, 05:21 PM
There was another guy keen as on jt when i was inquiring, when i put a holding deposit on it he was devastated and offered to pay more so i didnt get it. Apparently his wife even rang them the next day wanting an explanation as to why he didnt get first bite at it.. I dont wanna ecuse him of lying but this guy is straight onto it if i dont buy it apparently , who knows :-/

Dean1
27-07-2007, 05:30 PM
I really wanted a 6m coastalcat but cant afford to build one, but ive always had a soft spot for these 5.2's, great boat ;D

finding_time
27-07-2007, 05:53 PM
Go get it Dean!!! remember the golden rule when it comes to buying second hand kevlars " he who hesitates misses out" Gees they sell quick! Price sounds good!

Good luck

Ian

cormorant
27-07-2007, 08:07 PM
Time is an amazing thing

A couple of days makes a big difference.

In Sydney the broker would accepta couple of deposits etc etc got the best bid in th ehand and then said the boat is off the market to the other guy and try and sell him another boat-you know the rest.

Good luck and don't let em use pressure tactics and only pay what you can justify as they know your cash is good and you make decisions as you have already put down a holding deposit. For all you know the other bloke could be the mans brother!!!

Forever the sceptic am I

rando
27-07-2007, 09:30 PM
I Spent many years in sales.
"Fear of loss" is the sloppiest sale technique alive , funny that it works so well.
The appropriate response is to wave a wad of cash .
I am a buyer
Im here now
I am prepared to pay$xxx.
Be prepared to walk away. especially as you are from out of town , they know you wont be back .
If They're bluffing you wont get as far as the front gate.
Go up the road have a coffee, then go back and buy it if they wont budge.

Dean1
29-07-2007, 10:35 AM
Well guys im the owner of a 5.2 black marlin ;D ;D Thanks for the advice on price etc. but i ended up paying full price, reason been the boat was faultless, its the best one ive seen around its near like a new boat! The trailer is a genuine kevlacat ally trailer so no probs with that! The owner of the boat was a nice genuine guy who has ordered a new boat and doesnt get his new boat till the end of the year. He wanted his 45k and the yard wanted his $2500. I think its worth every cent of it, beautiful boat, ill put some pics up here if i can work it out. Now i have to get it on a truck for the right price, $4250 was my 1st quote lowest been $2000.

dogsbody
29-07-2007, 10:51 AM
Congrats Dean. are you a sparky? We had a chap in at work fixing our transformer who was looking at a cat, I'm not sure but i think his name was Dean.

Pics have to be under 100kb's so you will have to resize them. Pix resizer is a free program that is easy to use it will allow you to resize the whole lot of pics in one go. Just google pix resizer and download.

Dean1
29-07-2007, 12:24 PM
G'day dogsbody, nah mate im not a sparky, im a mech. plumber A/C. How'd ya get dogsbody, my initials are dbs and my dads were too. He was called dogsbody by a few mates coz of his initials :D

Kerry
29-07-2007, 01:53 PM
If you truck it up then make sure hulls are sitting neat on all the trailer skids as being on a trailer on a truck they can sometimes move around differently than when normally towed and could/can wear the gelcoat in contact with the skids along the keel line, especially a long haul from way down south.

revs57
29-07-2007, 02:13 PM
Good advise Kerry

Cheers

Rhys

Dean1
29-07-2007, 04:17 PM
Cant work how to put these photoson. U click attatchments then what?? They wont come up in the thread?

Dean1
29-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Hey it worked! Can anybody see these as good as me??

nthqld
29-07-2007, 04:59 PM
pic's work fine ya lucky buggar :)

Dean1
29-07-2007, 05:09 PM
The funny thing is that now i have 2 boats! My other pride and joy is up for sale, didnt think id find the kc so soon..

wadeo
29-07-2007, 06:24 PM
Congrats deano she looks sweet. Can't wait to see her go and glad another cat is in the crew;D ;D

Gill
29-07-2007, 06:30 PM
whats the other boat Dean1

Grand_Marlin
29-07-2007, 06:33 PM
Very nice Dean, you have done well :thumbsup:

Join with us brother, and let the Cats rule the world :sneaky: :freak:

Cheers

Pete

Dean1
29-07-2007, 07:20 PM
Gill its a 6.5m plate alloy lightning with a honda on her. Pete i agree!!!! Its great to have another cat, i went back to a mono but saw the light again! Monos have there bonuses but i think once youv had a cat they spoil you ;D

Gill
29-07-2007, 08:18 PM
Gill its a 6.5m plate alloy lightning with a honda on her. Pete i agree!!!! Its great to have another cat, i went back to a mono but saw the light again! Monos have there bonuses but i think once youv had a cat they spoil you ;D

These cats must be nice. A 6.5 plate wouldn't be to shabby on the water.
Do ya think you will miss the room of the plate. Sounds like a big down size from a 6.5 to 5.2.
Gill

Gill
29-07-2007, 08:19 PM

Do ya think you will miss the room of the plate. Sounds like a big down size from a 6.5 to 5.2.
Gill

Smithy
29-07-2007, 08:27 PM
Certainly looks in good nick from the pics. Congrats!

finding_time
29-07-2007, 08:34 PM
Gill

Gill at 5.2 kevla is probably the biggest 5.2 m boat around;) There a big lump of boat and can only be compared to a 6.2 up mono as far as deck space and handling imho

Dean1
29-07-2007, 09:11 PM
Gill my platey actually has the same fishing room as these 5.2 kc's. I will miss the cabin room in my lightning as in sleeping room etc. with all the extras but. I can comfortably sleep 4 in it. Heres a pic which mite give u some sort of an idea

rat_catcher
29-07-2007, 09:15 PM
Heres a pic which mite give u some sort of an idea
Dean I can't see this pic. I can see the other ones of the KC but not the one of the mono.

lippa
29-07-2007, 09:15 PM
ahhh bullshitttttttttt

ya got it mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!
congrats buddy.

looks like your taken me out b4 i get my new toy!!!!!!!!
look up "blackened" on here mate.
hes the ducks nuts when it comes to detailing boats.
i can cut it for ya, but maybe better to get him to do it all!!!!!

cheers

lippa

Dean1
29-07-2007, 09:17 PM
See if it works this time

rat_catcher
29-07-2007, 09:21 PM
See if it works this time
Yeah that one worked. Thanks.

finding_time
29-07-2007, 10:07 PM
Gees Dean you have spent a bit of time on Bogey!! It's looking great! Buggy's in the market for a boat!

Ian

Wahoo
29-07-2007, 10:18 PM
Also absolutely no drama with 70 2S's as far as power goes on a 5.2KC.

! not to over powered Kerry??????

Dean, that look like a great boat, nice n clean, congrats n enjoy

Daz

Kerry
30-07-2007, 08:09 AM
not to over powered Kerry??????

Daz

Just about spot on ;D Don't you think?

bigred77
30-07-2007, 02:21 PM
good on ya mate.just heard the news. so much for havn a bit of spell for a while hey! Let us know when shes up here ill come an have a look.

saurian
30-07-2007, 02:39 PM
Dean , looks like a great buy, very rare in that condition.
Hey does she have the bigger fuel tanks ????
Ta

Greg P
30-07-2007, 02:46 PM
Great buy Dean - the little KC is a gem.

cormorant
30-07-2007, 02:57 PM
Glad you found what sounds like an honest boat and asked all the right quessies.

In regards to transport make sure you know someone who knows what they are doing. I've seen truckies chain down trailers on flatbeds so hard they flex and just about break boats in half. Seen a few with towinh eyes torn out etc. Seen other idiots throw straps over the whole boat.

The best blokes actually support the trailer and loosen off the boat straps and winch cable before chaining the trailer down. They then tetighten boat straps and check the boat is sitting on all it's skids. Trailers flex a lot when not being used for what they were sesigned for. A couple of the guys also have that shrink wrap plastic gladwrap they do a quick wrap and it stays clean and a bit more theft proof of all the stuff inside and no stone chips or tar.

Make sure the bloake you deal with loads the truck himself or even better drives it as a lot just let contractors loose.

Shame you couldn't get em to but a bit as there is alwayts something to buy with boats but it looks good.

It'll be great to see how you compare your old and new boat in the same conditions.

C

dogsbody
30-07-2007, 04:59 PM
G'day dogsbody, nah mate im not a sparky, im a mech. plumber A/C. How'd ya get dogsbody, my initials are dbs and my dads were too. He was called dogsbody by a few mates coz of his initials :D

My dad used to call me davo dog in it just moved on to dogsbody from there.

2 nice boats there i be happy with either. Only thing i've got two of is a couple of old holdens a '68' and a '54'. Anyway the cat looks pretty clean mate. Enjoy.

Dave.

Dean1
30-07-2007, 05:25 PM
Thanks guys! The 70's are a treat on this boat. They weigh the same as the 60's. Its actually rated to 90hp's, the badge says so. The later model 1's of these have slighty different pods to the older 1's to accept up to 90's. Saurian 112ltr tanks same as older models but will be fine once i bolt on some 4's ;) . Im thinking bout getting full waterline pods bolted on one day to give it more bouyancy, then fitting these new 70 4 stroke yammies that are apparently in the making. She'll b a balltearer then! How's this guys the guy i bought the boat off (boatyard dealer) rang me today and wanted to know if i was was interested in selling it to the other guy that wanted this boat so badly! He said no skin off his nose but if i was interested he would pass my number onto him. Im not keen.. Even if he offered me 60k i wouldnt be in it.. How would i replace it, i know how hard these boats are to find in this condition, i wouldnt have flown to victoria otherwise :P Ye Ian ive done alot of work to bogey and spent a fair lot of cash on it shes a great rig now, im sure whoever buys her will be happy with her. I'll advertise her on here i think, ill miss her, but cant wait to get in2 this kc ;D ;D . I am concerned about the towing part getting it up here safely, its hard to trust anyone these days :-/

finding_time
30-07-2007, 05:39 PM
I would go and get it myself! And i dont say this without experience;) I drove to Adelaide to pick up my old southwind when i brought it 4200km's in 52 hours return, i was having great trouble getting a transsport guy to bring it back. Every monday for 3 weeks i turned up at his ( rob johns marine transport) depot as he said it would be there at 9am each time and every time i got there he had some B/S as to why it was still in Adelaide>:( I drove to adelaide on the third monday afternoon and have never regreted the decision ( save myself $1200.00 after fuel costs)

I know a kc is bigger to tow than a southwind 5.2 but melbourne return is only 3500km's return;D

Ian

Dean1
30-07-2007, 05:58 PM
Yeah Ian i have seriously considered doing what your saying, I dont think it will work out any cheaper by the time i add up fuel, days off work no pay and the fact that ill be too exhausted to even go to work the next day. It would be a piece of mind but, a guy is saying $1500 on a backload, he's getting back to me during the week. What to do... Also the boat has sat at a marina in dry storage for last 3 yrs, only gets towed 50 metres to boatramp. Bearings etc could be a bit howsa goin from sitting?? The owner towed in down there from brisbane 3 yrs ago reckons it tows great but the bearings etc. concern me :-/

bay_firey
30-07-2007, 07:04 PM
I would be looking at using trewins or 1 of the other dedicated boat transport companies. There's a few around, seems to plenty of them going through rocky all the time.

rat_catcher
30-07-2007, 09:57 PM
I would go and get it myself!
I agree. I would definitely not rule out towing it home yourself. I bought my Signature 702L from Newcastle and for the handover met the seller in Glen Innes. I drove from Rocky to Glen Innes. Hooked up the boat and towed it back home. Round trip was about 2,000km all without any dramas.

If you are worried about the wheel bearings, get them replaced before you leave and keep the old ones for spares in case you need them on the side of the road. For the first few hours of the tow stop regularly and check for heat buildup in the tyres and wheels.

I was happy with my tow and the other benefit I didn't even think about until after is now I know how well it tows I wouldn't hesitate hooking it up and towing it up to Cairns!

couldbe
31-07-2007, 07:52 AM
Hi Dean,
Nice Rig mate. As you know I picked up my 1999 "Black Marlin" with all the fruit earlier this year for mid $50's so i reckon that you got a great buy. I bloody love my little boat mate and I am sure that you wont be disappointed. I have also got 70's Yammies on her and they go great. I have worked out the fuel economy and I am getting about 1L/kilometer. This is sitting on about 4800rpm @ 22-24knots. WOT is 31knots at 5700rpm.

The only thing that I dont like is she has the 112L tanks and this limits me to 60miles offshore before having to carry extra fuel. I am now contemplating upgrading the motors or even trading her in on an even bigger and better Kevlacat so we may have been able to work something out if i had have known:)...... But I really dont want to get rid of her as they are such brilliant little boats and I would never be able to replace her and have sunk another $5k getting new electronics etc since buying her.

For the fishing that I do I would never put less than 70's back on her and would probably go to 90's. I priced that pods and they are $3k i heard so just another cost to upgrading her. What were the 70 Yamaha's that you were talking about upgrading to?

Let me know how you go with the shipping costs as I have been through this exercise before mate and know a few people.

Cheers

ooglie74
31-07-2007, 07:57 AM
Congrats deano.Now all you have to do is sell bogey to fund your four strokes and we will never be able to wipe the smile from your dial.
Heard ritcho made an offer, lol.
When you get it up here you will have to take me for a run and show me how these cats handle.
What electroincs are on it?

Cheers Troy

finding_time
31-07-2007, 08:33 AM
Hi Dean,
Nice Rig mate. As you know I picked up my 1999 "Black Marlin" with all the fruit earlier this year for mid $50's so i reckon that you got a great buy. I bloody love my little boat mate and I am sure that you wont be disappointed. I have also got 70's Yammies on her and they go great. I have worked out the fuel economy and I am getting about 1L/kilometer. This is sitting on about 4800rpm @ 22-24knots. WOT is 31knots at 5700rpm.

The only thing that I dont like is she has the 112L tanks and this limits me to 60miles offshore before having to carry extra fuel. I am now contemplating upgrading the motors or even trading her in on an even bigger and better Kevlacat so we may have been able to work something out if i had have known:)...... But I really dont want to get rid of her as they are such brilliant little boats and I would never be able to replace her and have sunk another $5k getting new electronics etc since buying her.

For the fishing that I do I would never put less than 70's back on her and would probably go to 90's. I priced that pods and they are $3k i heard so just another cost to upgrading her. What were the 70 Yamaha's that you were talking about upgrading to?

Let me know how you go with the shipping costs as I have been through this exercise before mate and know a few people.

Cheers

I know of 2 5.2 kc that have had there 110l tanks converted to 220 l tanks. The fillers for the standard tanks are at the very front of the tank which sits had up against the bulk head if you remove this bulk head you can get twice the tank in and then you bridge a glass beam above the tank where the original bulk head was. I'm going for a ride on one of these boats soon and it will be fully fueled so i'll get a good indication of how the weiht effects the ride but 220l a side is very appealing;) It would give me just on 400nm range with the 4 strokes and if i ever up size the motors and pods it will still be heaps of fuel.

Ian

Ps.
400nm range is for heavy tackle season, i can troll all saturday come back to moreton island then troll the shelf all sunday with returning to base for a refuel.

pps. yes Kerry i'm waiting but i have a good response.;D

Kerry
31-07-2007, 11:19 AM
Then lets hear your response then :)

The standard 25 gall tanks taken out to 50 gal each side even in a 5.2 says you really need a bigger boat??

The 6.2's as standard are 40 gal (actually a bit less than that) with the 7.2's fitted with 60 gall.

So yeah 50 gal tanks in a 5.2? Something is being comprimised?

Lovey80
31-07-2007, 12:24 PM
Dean1, congrats on a nice looking boat mate. I can thoroughly recommend Trewins Logistics for transport of a boat. I recently used them to transport my boat from Cairns to the Sunshine Coast. Although mine is a 4.3 Webster it cost me around $650 and they were great. On that I can only imagine that yours will cost around the grand mark. PM if you want their details.

Cheers Chris

finding_time
31-07-2007, 12:43 PM
Kerry the boat is more than up to the task as far as being large enough, it's just that the circumstances are a little differant to what most boats a designed for as far as engine hours in a trip. 2 days trolling with a distance of 40nm to the grounds from the anchor up point and 8+ hours trolling each day makes for a 320nm weekend, the trip can be done other ways but involves an extra 35nm at the end of the first day.

As far as the boat being structually sound for the job, the guy who will do the work has probably done more work on and built more Kc's than you have had arguements, i'm fairly confident that the work will be fine but i'm still going to go for a good run in 1 of the kc's that have already be modified to get a feel for the set-up
If i was just using the boat to run out to an island , have a swim and photograph the outboard legs there would be know need to do the mods but thats not how i use my boat. the extra load will be dropping all the time and the lack of other load on board ( ice ,bait, 1 less crew) will all cover the extra 200kg in fuel.

Ian

freddofrog
31-07-2007, 02:23 PM
Dean1

Another option for transport is by ship. That's how I got my 5.2 KC moved from Newcastle NSW to Perth, worked out a lot cheaper. Call Justin from AWS Customs on 02 8338 0822. Tell him I sent you.

btw, however you do it, make sure your insurance covers the move - I found alot of them won't, well not without paying more $$$>:(

Shane
(aka ff)

Grand_Marlin
31-07-2007, 08:24 PM
G'day Ian,

My 7m Cat has 4 x 200 litre tanks, 800 litres all up.

Depending on what I am doing I will get between 600 and 800 miles out of it.

I can fish all week and not come home ;D

Cheers

Pete

Dean1
31-07-2007, 08:46 PM
Lovey 80 my 1st quote was from trewins and they were( are you ready for it?) $4250. Couldnt believe it! Im waiting for a call from a guy for $1500. If not $2000 is my next offer. Freddofrog i might get a price on shipping thanks. Mightn't be so hard on the boat. Couldbe i was wonderng how ur 5.2 was going. I emailed you a while ago to the address you gave me asking ur opinion on your rig. Yours looked nice too mate, similiar to mine, dont sell it!! Couldbe the 70's i was talking about are these apparently 'in the making' new four sroke 70 yammies. Heard from a few yammy dealers now. I'll rack another 100 or so more hours up on the two smokes before making a move though. They run sweet. Hard after having a 4 stroke but :o Electronics are very basic in this boat. Apelco gps, sounder combo. I'll put a furuno colour sounder in her, prob keep the other for a gps for a while till i sell my other boat. Thanks for all the help guys, hopefully ill have her home soon cant wait, ill fill the iceboxes with XXXX ;D

lippa
31-07-2007, 10:16 PM
Lovey 80 my 1st quote was from trewins and they were( are you ready for it?) $4250. Couldnt believe it! Im waiting for a call from a guy for $1500. If not $2000 is my next offer. Freddofrog i might get a price on shipping thanks. Mightn't be so hard on the boat. Couldbe i was wonderng how ur 5.2 was going. I emailed you a while ago to the address you gave me asking ur opinion on your rig. Yours looked nice too mate, similiar to mine, dont sell it!! Couldbe the 70's i was talking about are these apparently 'in the making' new four sroke 70 yammies. Heard from a few yammy dealers now. I'll rack another 100 or so more hours up on the two smokes before making a move though. They run sweet. Hard after having a 4 stroke but :o Electronics are very basic in this boat. Apelco gps, sounder combo. I'll put a furuno colour sounder in her, prob keep the other for a gps for a while till i sell my other boat. Thanks for all the help guys, hopefully ill have her home soon cant wait, ill fill the iceboxes with XXXX ;D

cant wait to drink 'em.

oh yeah, get some fish too!!!!!!!!!

Lovey80
31-07-2007, 11:06 PM
Thats crazy i wonder why the massive price difference.

Cheers Chris

cormorant
31-07-2007, 11:19 PM

\

Those high quotes are crazy and I'm glad you named them so we all know. Phone up sailfish , Markam NC or KC and see who moves their boats as I'm sure they will have one going south and want a backload. At 4k I'd want airfreight and champane service.

A mate had this same problem and when he had the new trailer made up it had the forking points and tie down eyes for chains and acouple of mounts for tressles to stop trailer flex. Just gets it loaded on any flatbed and it it goes up and down the coast and across to the Gulf at normal backload rates. Doesn't even tell em it's a boat half the time and into storage yard at other end. Another mate uses one of those skeleton containers and straps his boat and bikes to it and a lockable storage box then the self loading container truck collects that from his work- 10 minutes. Charge is 1 container- full stop. Has done Syd Bris on the freight train as well like that as it was cheaper than truck.

freddofrog
02-08-2007, 02:30 PM
Hi Dean1

Sorry taking so long to get back to you but had some family matter that were more pressing. My KCs going great guns. Still trying to learn how to drive the bugger being my first cat and really my first boat but slowly getting there. It does eat up the chop but only if you have it trimmed correctly otherwise it seems to spend more time in the air than the water. It still rocks around like a small boat but at least everyone can fish all on one side and it doesn't feel like it's going to roll over.

Mines came with the 90hp 2st yammies on it which is sucking the juice, around 0.8km per litre combined or 1.6km/l per motor at 24knots average. It's also apparantly over propped as I am only getting 5200rpm at WOT which is btw around 33-34knots. I need to do something about that prop when I get some spare $$$. I'm hoping I'll get better fuel economy with the new props but I'm not counting on it.

I've briefly entertained the thought of getting those 60hp 4st high thrust yammies but the $9000 change over is a bit steep. I'm also looking at seeing if I can import them from the states as they are somewhat cheaper there but I think the freight cost will kill the idea.

Cya
ff

Kerry
02-08-2007, 02:38 PM
....WOT which is btw around 33-34knots. I need to do something about that prop when I get some spare $$$.

NO you need to fix the props BEFORE you end up having to spend lots more $$$$'s than what a couple of props are worth!

Dean1
02-08-2007, 07:41 PM
Right well ive found the man for the job! Freddofrog i rang justin today, he said he'd rather truck it up and his price was $3500. The guy im using is ken johnson his number is 0428568367 his an older guy and a nice fella at that. He's been carting boats for 30 years and is well respected in the industry. Ive done my homework. So if anyone is after this service i recommend him. Next thursday its getting picked up so it'd be great to have her by that weekend hopefully! Hey kerry what sorta donks u got on the back of ur 6.2?

disorderly
02-08-2007, 07:53 PM
I'd go easy on recommending someone until you had used their service and had a satisfactory outcome from it.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/tongue.gif
Only then does a recommendation hold water!http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gif
I wish you well and hope it works out as plannedhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif.

Scott

Kerry
02-08-2007, 07:57 PM
....Hey kerry what sorta donks u got on the back of ur 6.2?

The best 115 2S's ever made :) 17" props get 5600-5700 plus at ALL times, anything less would be abuse :)

Dean1
02-08-2007, 08:17 PM
Ye fair call disorderly, im hoping he's what im lead to believe, weve all been let down before. Well ill wait and see, i am concerned let me tell ya. $1500 +gst is the cost. Best 115's kerry which woud be yammies im guesing??

wadeo
02-08-2007, 09:48 PM
Great work deano she's nearly home by the sounds of it. Keen for a spin next weekend;)

Noelm
03-08-2007, 11:38 AM
hhmmm the 115 yamaha would certainly be the biggest and heaviest but not too sure about being the best!

Dean1
04-08-2007, 08:33 PM
Well my new toy should be home next weekend ;D ;D I have to make room so my well loved platey is up for sale on ausfish. Im sad but also excited at the same time, wadeo ill be keen to head out next weekend if weather permits :P

Dean1
10-08-2007, 05:44 PM
Well guys my new toy is on a truck and on its way to brissy as we speak. My old girl has left a vacancy in my front yard for this new treat. The guys at Andrew Shirt Marine have helped me in every way possible there all a great bunch of guys. I cant wait to get back into a cat, i cant believe i went back to a mono ::) . Im definatly a cat man cant beat em. ;D

finding_time
10-08-2007, 05:51 PM
Just take a few deep breaths and relax dean!! To much excitement cant be good!!

Ian

Dean1
10-08-2007, 06:50 PM
Tyin to get pics up of her on the tilt trailer, wont work >:(

finding_time
13-08-2007, 01:05 PM
Dean

have you got her yet? And are you out now?

Ian

Dean1
13-08-2007, 10:14 PM
Ian, guys i am so happy and lucky at the moment! My baby arrived today! I got a call at bout 1pm saying he was bout an hour away, i was so busy at work but i had to leave my workmate and head home to pay the champion truckdriver. When i got home he had her half off the tray into my front yard. I got this boat delivered to my front door for $1500! What more could you ask for, im so stoked with the service, the boat is exactly how i left her in melbourne except for exhaust fumes on her which will wash straight off. The hull is perfect, this boat is so tidy, five of my best mates just came over to look and could not believe how smick this little beauty is. Im in love. I so want to get her in the drink but ill be patient. Oh ye i had to drive 40 mins back to work for 30 mins work to keep my work mate happy, it was hard driving away leaving her in the front yard. I highly recommend the guys who brought my boat up it was awsome service. Well ill go to bed dreamin bout her now, heres a pic of her comin off the tray. Im stoked! ;D :P :P :P :P ;D

Ninja
13-08-2007, 11:01 PM
Well done mate....I can tell you were all smiles while typing that.

boatboy50
14-08-2007, 08:33 AM
Hey Dean,

Very nice rig. I'm envious. She will give you plenty of joy.

Is that the truck it came the full distance on, or did it come on a semi?

Regards

Darren

lippa
14-08-2007, 08:37 AM
nah, dean, we only came around, cause we heard you were puttin the piss on!!!!!

that is one fantastic boat mate, congratulations

cheers

lippa

ausandy
14-08-2007, 06:12 PM
hi dean, congrats on it getting home. i just wanted to say what a pleasure it was dealing with you. i wish all my deals went so well. enjoy the cat, and if you ever want to sell, i have angelo`s number. good luck.... andy

Dean1
14-08-2007, 09:37 PM
Thanks guys, boatboy thats the truck she came on for the full distance, they haul 7 metre cats on that tray! I still havent had it on the water yet, mucked around with the trailer this arvo freeing up a few things, due to her sitting at a marina for 3 or 4 years. Lipper thats as close as youll get to this kc again cause ill smoke you out on the water if things get ugly, cats thrive on rough conditions ;) ;D Andy great dealing with you too mate, i wont be selling this boat for a long time not unless i really have to. Im so attatched to it already, beautiful piece of work, john babyed this thing, it'll clean up like new ;D Well ill get a few pics up when shes had a bath etc. Im still smiling :D

lippa
15-08-2007, 05:14 PM
Lipper thats as close as youll get to this kc again cause ill smoke you out on the water if things get ugly, cats thrive on rough conditions ;) ;D :D

smoke being the oppretive word!!!!!! by the the time ya got them smelly old yammys started i'll be purring the big honda into port;D ;D ;D

Dean1
16-08-2007, 09:35 PM
Hey lip you better not bag 2 smokes too much yet mate, ya havent sold your old girl yet?

hungry6
16-08-2007, 10:08 PM
Sound like you"re in honeymoon mode Dean1, and rightly so too!! be good to see her in the water sometime in the future.

Sandman
17-08-2007, 08:11 AM
Dean looks great mate are you going to replace the outboards with something a little more economical ?
Mick

Dean1
19-08-2007, 08:58 PM
Well I finally got her into the water this arvo. Bloody awsome im so happy with her. Went out into the bay, put her in at cabbage tree creek, bay was bout 15-20 kts 1.2 metre of crappy swell and this little beauty just ate it up! The best way is going flat chat in those conditions it just floats over the waves. Its very punchy with the 70's and they run sweet. The memories came flooding back to me from my last cat. I wont miss my platey one little bit ill never go mono again. Sandman i will eventualy put 4's on her but im not in any hurry, these 2 strokes are not too bad about 1 litre per klm. I cant wait to get back into it, these boats kick arse! ;D ;D

Outer Edge
21-08-2007, 07:54 PM
Dean1

Good to see you found the light again by purchasing a cat.. you are spot on , the faster you go into a head sea the better it will ride .

your story brought back some memoreis on how excited i was the first time i got into my cat..

One question i have is ,what the hell were you thinking purchasing a alum mono . cause it sounded like you have had a cat and then sold it for that alum can..

Once you had a cat you never go back.

congrats again you have purchased prob the best 5.2 on the market.

Dean1
21-08-2007, 08:18 PM
Outeredge thanks for the pat on the back mate, well i did have a 5.5 metre cat about 5 years ago and i sold it only because i had to for financial reasons. I so didnt want to sell it i loved that boat. It was a multicat, similar to the 18ft sharkcats, it was set up with the seats more toward to rear of the boat with waterline pods which gave it a great ride. I'll try to get a pic up here. I tackled some hairy seas in that boat and she produced the goods every time. It was all 1996 model. I bought the platey about 14 months ago, you know i honestly forgot just how awsome cats ride and handle hey, i never enjoyed the platey, and youll never see me buying another mono again especially ally. Im shivering thinkin bout it ::). I found the light again, ive copped my punishment but im back, anybody who doesnt like cats has got me stuffed why they dont, they either havent been in one before or they have been in a incorrectly setup one id say. If i was trying to do what i did in this kc on sunday in my old 6.5 platey it would be on the bottom of the ocean, or id be in hospital with severe back injuries :o

Outer Edge
21-08-2007, 09:01 PM
Outeredge thanks for the pat on the back mate, well i did have a 5.5 metre cat about 5 years ago and i sold it only because i had to for financial reasons. I so didnt want to sell it i loved that boat. It was a multicat, similar to the 18ft sharkcats, it was set up with the seats more toward to rear of the boat with waterline pods which gave it a great ride. I'll try to get a pic up here. I tackled some hairy seas in that boat and she produced the goods every time. It was all 1996 model. I bought the platey about 14 months ago, you know i honestly forgot just how awsome cats ride and handle hey, i never enjoyed the platey, and youll never see me buying another mono again especially ally. Im shivering thinkin bout it ::). I found the light again, ive copped my punishment but im back, anybody who doesnt like cats has got me stuffed why they dont, they either havent been in one before or they have been in a incorrectly setup one id say. If i was trying to do what i did in this kc on sunday in my old 6.5 platey it would be on the bottom of the ocean, or id be in hospital with severe back injuries :o

Dean 1 ,

yes mate you have found the light again .

I spose one of the main reasons consumers dont purchase a cat is they can be more expensive and in some ways can take a little getting use to . but its like anything else once you got it you would nt trade it for the world .

Mate i have no dought you wont be letting this one go ;) .

I remember my first time out in a cat 5.2 noosa , and like you said all you need is that one trip and your sold .. bring out the wallet and stuff the mr`s im getting one.The only prob is i just kept upgrading ( oh well you only live once).

Im sure you will enjoy her and ill prob see you out on the water some day .

PS : I agree , keep the 2 smokes for a wile till you kill em.

Outer edge.

Dean1
22-08-2007, 08:48 PM
Exactly right mate you do only live once, youv got a 7 metre coastalcat hey? Yep the cost of a cat is a small sacrifice for the ride quality, how can you put a price on that. I think monos should be banned ;D ;D

lippa
22-08-2007, 08:53 PM
i reakon those two stroke fumes that cat cabin sucks up have got to your head alreday deano!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i beleive we need a cat v mono comp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers

lippa

finding_time
22-08-2007, 10:03 PM
Yep good idea, it's blown about 40 knots atm see you at the scarbrough ramp in a hour!!;) ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D

lippa
22-08-2007, 10:16 PM
ummmmmm......

i cant tow atm, the wheel bearings need doin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bust that!!!!!!

Dean1
23-08-2007, 06:20 PM
Oh lip lip lip you obviously dont realize the capabilities of a cat ol son. Actually you havent been in a cat before have ya?? Ian and i both have 5.2 m cats urs is a 6 metre ally. Your a game man bro. Conditions have to be minimum 20kts, a race to mud island and back what ya think? Ian i hate waiting for boats to catch up dont you?? 8-)

Outer Edge
23-08-2007, 06:27 PM
Exactly right mate you do only live once, youv got a 7 metre coastalcat hey? Yep the cost of a cat is a small sacrifice for the ride quality, how can you put a price on that. I think monos should be banned ;D ;D

yeah mate 7 m coastal..

Would nt trade her for the world .

Love those days when she blowes up a bit ,the cats just come into their own.Not much good on the flat days but......;)

Good call bout the mono`s.;D ;D ;D

Don`t think the Mono boys would like that.. they do have some good benifits but (single motor cheap to run ect.)

Outer Edge.

Dean1
23-08-2007, 07:15 PM
Ye outeredge i thought it might cause war with my comment ;D I went for a blat in bobs young blokes 6 metre coastalcat it carved it up. I was gonna build one but the budget just blew out. Monos are cheaper to run etc but ya get what ya pay for hey ;) I know what you mean bout it been good when it blows up a bit, cats ride better if she's a bit lumpy, get some air under that tunnel ;) Cant wait to get out in mine again. Heres a pic of the 6 metre coastalcat youd know it

lippa
23-08-2007, 09:21 PM
deano, i've driven a couple, they are great!!!!!!!!!!
enough chest beatin'. lets just fish, set a date, call the weather, for everyones comfort < 20knts. say tip of moreton to sunshine reef? please correct or add details.

mono will rule!!!!!!!!!!

lippa

Spaniard_King
23-08-2007, 09:32 PM
OK Lippa, I am in :)

lippa
23-08-2007, 10:11 PM
schweeeet, after these cat boys suffer,
we'll pull on a honda v suzuki mission aye?!!!!!!!

bring it on!!!!!!!!!!!

Outer Edge
24-08-2007, 05:59 PM
Ye outeredge i thought it might cause war with my comment ;D I went for a blat in bobs young blokes 6 metre coastalcat it carved it up. I was gonna build one but the budget just blew out. Monos are cheaper to run etc but ya get what ya pay for hey ;) I know what you mean bout it been good when it blows up a bit, cats ride better if she's a bit lumpy, get some air under that tunnel ;) Cant wait to get out in mine again. Heres a pic of the 6 metre coastalcat youd know it

Dean1,

Mate know it well , Nice rig .

For the price you payed for your rig and the condition its in you got your self a stonka....

looks like a few boys want to take you on in there rigs ( sounds like a bit of a challange )...

No need for that we all fisho`s proud of our rigs and does nt matter about the speed or ride .. just as long as your happy with your boat and it does what you want , thats all that matters.

Id like to see her in the flesh one day if i could , I like the 5.2 KC and yours looks pretty clean for what you paid for her.:o

Outer Edge.

Greg P
24-08-2007, 07:58 PM
Get into em Lippa and Garry ;D;D;D

Those cats are just inverted deep vee monos anyways :-X;D;D;D;D;D;D;D

Boats looking good Dean - bet you cant wait to get amongst them in her.

Those Coastal Cats sure are a sweet lookin ride.

Cheers

Greg

Dean1
25-08-2007, 01:59 PM
Outeredge i just sent u a pm. Thanx Greg yeah cant wait to get out there into em! Inverted deep v's good call ;D ;D Ours are the right way up but :D . Nothin like a bit of humour, hey lip i know u have that big shiny honda on the back brother but you can only go as fast as your hull will let ya ;) and the sea. Youll be backing her off a few times where as ill just set the throttles and sit back and enjoy the ride! Bring it on! Mate like outeredge said as long as your all happy with yor own boat it doesnt matter a bit, as long as your bringin a fish in over the side thats what matters :P Just need some decent weather now and get out there for a spin!8-)