PDA

View Full Version : Marine Licence verification

lifestyle
25-07-2007, 07:17 PM
The queensland transport department now has a system that you can check your old paper license is on there new computer set up . The only catch is it costs five dollors. www.transport.qld.gov.au (http://www.transport.qld.gov.au). I wonder if any have been lost in the system due to human or computer error.

shubeej
25-07-2007, 07:34 PM
just got my drivers license renewed a couple of weeks ago & i asked them over the counter if i still have la icense from 20 years ago & yes it was still in the system, now it has been endorsed on my drivers license.the system worked for me .
cheers

lifestyle
25-07-2007, 07:39 PM
thats good news to here things are working well then.

Kleyny
25-07-2007, 07:41 PM
As Shubeej said you can just go to the registration office and they will check it for nothing.

Mine got lost in the system it took them two weeks to get my records out of artchives and update it on the system.

neil

ashh
25-07-2007, 11:01 PM
yeah that would be right.
I did my marine boat license back in 1996, had the yellow paper slip, but lost it. Didnt think any thing of it because I was told, once you have done it, you have it for life.
Bought a boat start of this year and when I was transferring regos asked them to check and make sure I was still licenced.
Department of transport had no record whatsoever of me ever having a license.
They said its probably because back in 2002, they did a recall for all boaties to re-sit a theory test?, due to the high amount of accidents occuring on the water.
Those that came in and did it kept there license, those that didnt do it had them suspended.
I never got any notification of this or heard anything about it untill then.
Maybe fed me a load of BS?
I might go in pay the $5 and see if they come up with anything.
If they do find my previous records of my license, I will be asking questions and 'please explain' why I had to pay out the dollars to get a license I allready had!

on a side note, I was a little dismayed that the testing had not changed one bit in those 11 years. Exactly the same test and way too easy to pass.

Marlin_Mike
26-07-2007, 05:08 AM
ashh think they fed you a load of BS mate. There would have been 2 things done if a recall like thta was done:

1/ Big publicity, wouldnt do it unannounced

2/ BIg cry from boaties. How can they rescind a license if you gor ir fairly, cause a few have been idiots. If thats the case, why havent they done it with cars?

All BS to me mate. MIne is endorsed on my car license. which happens when you renew it

Mike

reidy_g
26-07-2007, 05:30 AM
ashh think they fed you a load of BS mate. There would have been 2 things done if a recall like thta was done:

2/ BIg cry from boaties. How can they rescind a license if you gor ir fairly, cause a few have been idiots. If thats the case, why havent they done it with cars?

All BS to me mate. MIne is endorsed on my car license. which happens when you renew it

Mike
spot on Mike. I got my licence in '89.... never re-sat any test...and verified my licence with Qld Transport last night. Ashh, i'd be making some noise about that if i were you!

Foxy4
26-07-2007, 07:40 AM
I agree, I go mine way back in 1976 and still have it today as well as my PWC update. Can wait for my license renewal as well. I don't like paying the government anymore money then i really have to at anytime.

mini696
26-07-2007, 09:57 AM
Mine has been lost in the system somewhere. They dont have a record of it anywhere.

nthqld
26-07-2007, 10:39 AM
I have a Marine board of Qld "Licence to drive a speed boat" that I got in 1985.

Do I have to get it upgraded to an endorsement on my drivers licence or something?

Is it still ok to just have the old paper one ?

It's funny, it says on mine...a copy of a lost or destroyed licence may be obtained on payment of $2

how things have changed

Vitamin Sea
26-07-2007, 01:30 PM

Mike

Hi Mike

How is it shown on your car license?, my car license was renewed 04/2005. I asked at the time about the boat license, they said it was all ok, but there is no endorsement on the car one?

I got what's left of my blue paper boat license back in 1980

Thanks

Bill

ozbee
26-07-2007, 02:44 PM
hand over your old license when you renew your drivers , they put it straight on your drivers license , also get the old boat license back as its valid for life

seatime
26-07-2007, 05:48 PM
The most recent system which had the "virtual licence" database at QT, was to have all the preceding forms of Speedboat Licences, Powerboat Licences and other names that boat licences in Qld came under over the years, and the individual's details, stored in a single database. All licence holder details from the other incarnations of boat licences were to be shifted to that database, not all successfully made the shift however.
Since the latter half of 2006, notification of holding a boat licence has appeared on new or renewed Qld motor vehicle drivers licences. Boat licence information to appear on the car licence is sourced from the "virtual boat licence" database.

It looks like MSQ/QT is ensuring the database is up-to-date so there is a smooth transposition of details to the photo car licence.

My brother and I got our Marine Board blue paper licences at the same time in 1981, his shifted to the "virtual licence", mine didn't?. I didn't discover that I didn't have a licence until last year, even though I've possessed commercial tickets in Qld since 1983.

catfishkid
26-07-2007, 06:18 PM
I still have what is left of my blue paper licence issued in 1994
When i got my HR licence 8 months ago i just ticked a box on the form for licence renewal and now it appears as RMDL on my drivers licence

Cheers craig.

PS: How do people feel about being charged to find out if you have marine licence.
Seems like another rort to me.

Tangles
26-07-2007, 07:37 PM
Well having just recetly got my marine license, its not endorsed on my old license apparently until i get it renewed, apparently till then its digital when they check you on the water.

cheers
mike

lifestyle
26-07-2007, 07:48 PM
I rang the department of transport today . and they said they have a record of my boat license. All i had to do was quote my car license number.

rat_catcher
26-07-2007, 10:08 PM
They said its probably because back in 2002, they did a recall for all boaties to re-sit a theory test?, due to the high amount of accidents occuring on the water.
Those that came in and did it kept there license, those that didnt do it had them suspended.
Definitely BS. I got mine in 1987 and still have the old blue piece of paper. I was out of the country from 2000 to 2004 and when I got back I went in and did the PWC test. At that time I verified my RMDL was still valid.

My next door neighbour's son did his RMDL and PWC licenses just recently and then went and got his Learner Driver's License. His new license has the RMDL and PWC endoresements on it.