PDA

View Full Version : Kilwell v Butterworth

Longshot
25-07-2007, 02:01 PM
Hi guys, been lurking around on this sight and have picked up some great ideas. I do, however, have a small problem that I would like your thoughts on.

I have been making rods for myself and mates in SA and now in Qld for the last 20 years. I recently gave my old Butterworth FSU4120W to my son, I kept the Butterworth FSU3120w for myself and then made the ultimate error. I lent the 3120 to a friend who bought it back in two pieces, swine.

I stripped the broken bits down and managed to recover all components except the reel seat and grips. I decided to build myself a FSU4120 as a replacement and use it with an ABU 7000 spooled with 10kg Ande Tournement. I ordered a Wilson-Kilwell FSU4120 and when it arrived found that it is completely different to the old Butterworth, there is a difference of about 10mm in butt diameter. It also feels softer, this would be due to the reduced taper of course.

The question is will the Kilwell blank handle 10kg line or will I be using it with my Abu 6600C using 6kg off the beaches and rocks. I was going to use it at one time with a Shimano Btr6500, but decided that I will eventually sell the 6500,4500 and 3500 Baitrunners. (Keep watching the classifieds)

Your thoughts would be appreciated

roz
26-07-2007, 11:11 AM
I can only give a general opinion.

It's a shame about your Len Butterworth, it's possible to add a ferrule, depending on where it's broken. I've seen a few old rods salvaged that way.

As for kilwell, I'm not a big fan there, for the reason you have already described, some have a tendency to bend from right down near the butt and I'm not fussed in slow tapers at all.

On the other hand some fishos prefer that style.

IMO the only way to replace a Butterworth is with another Butterworth, if that's possible.

I think the kilwell will handle both line classes ok. I wouldn't mind betting you won't be 100% happy with it, but that's only my opinion.

BTW I'm in the market for another baitrunner, I gave myself one for my birthday last year, and it's perfect for float lining for vermin.

good luck

r.

Longshot
26-07-2007, 03:56 PM
Thanks for you reply Roz. I considered a ferrule but the break is 1 metre dowm the tip so that nixed that idea.

Love to be able to replace the Butterworth, but will try the Kilwell and if that doesn't work will have a look at a Snyderglass. I can vaguely remember Snyders equiv was a FSU1204M I think and they were a reasonable blank. Someone did tell me that Snyderglass purchased the Butterworth mandrels.

My first preference, if I could ever find one would be a Browning Silaflex FT70, now that was a blank.

When I get to Bronze status I will be putting the BTRs on the classifieds.

Cheers

LS

roz
29-07-2007, 10:41 PM
LS

I know a chappie who works wonders with broken rods, i will ask his opinion with the information you have supplied.

He repaired one of my rods which I considered a lost cause.

the only sacrifice I had to make was fish it with a lighter line class. Small price to pay for an old sentimental favourite.

It may take a few weeks, perhaps more before I am down his way again...provided i remember!!!

Will do my best, besides you have nothing to lose.

cheers r.

Longshot
29-07-2007, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the thought Roz, definate lost cause now I tried to do something with and made it worse. Spat the dummy and stripped it the easy way.

Still putting that Kilwell together, if it does not work as I feel it should will take back Butterworth from son.

tunaticer
30-07-2007, 12:06 AM
Longshot,

Maybe a Snyderglas JS1029w would suit you?? Its a 9' 10-15kg jig stick. I have one built up for fishing the rocks with livies and for spinning for big kingies with.

It wouldnt be hard to extend it to the same length as the old butterworth rod but It will definitely do your 10kg work no dramas.

Mine was extended about 5 inches i think and tested it to deadlift 58lbs so its quite a beefy rod. The tip is light enough to fire out a unweighted pillie at least 30m on my abu12 overhead with 10kg line. I can fire a 4oz slug over the 80m mark too without any dramas.

Jack.

Longshot
30-07-2007, 03:24 PM
Theres a thought. Used to have a JS980, fished an Abu 7000 on it. Caught a monster(12.5kg) Snapper on it behind Torrens Island on it. Will look at the 9102 easy to extend with aluminium tube. Thanks Tunaticer.