PDA

View Full Version : Coastal Cat 2

dfox
22-07-2007, 12:41 PM
I notice the original thread has been closed so i hope im not out of line here.
My understanding of the boat (coastal cats) is that it was developed from a number of drawings originally scribbled by Paul Deourio (spelling) who i believe drew up and developed the 6.2 KC. If im correct these drawings helped stimulate Bob (who i dont know) design and build his current boat moulds. Unless my understandings are just a load of gossip which appears to be rife in the boat building industry, i cant see how these boats are copies of any other cat designs ...foxy

Fish Guts
22-07-2007, 02:18 PM
finally some constructive discussion. i think they are a great cat and by the amount of pro's using them is a fairly good indication of their capabilities. for the record a kevla cat is only 20 cm more beamier for gods sake. if anyhtings got handling problems its the sour negative sod taking pot shots at any opportunity. wonder how many coastal cats would be out there if they did advertise ?

Kerry
22-07-2007, 02:44 PM
....if anyhtings got handling problems its the sour negative prick taking pot shots at any opportunity.

Who might that be fishguts? or is that lack of guts?

See guts this is where you mongrels with attitudes get off the rails so do try and stay focused on the dicsussion instead of being an arogrant prick :)

Fish Guts
22-07-2007, 02:45 PM
back on topic please. dont close a good topic this time pal.

Kerry
22-07-2007, 02:46 PM
So foxy was that the first 6.2KC or the second model?

Kerry
22-07-2007, 02:57 PM
back on topic please. dont close a good topic this time pal.

That's entirely in your hands and your future actions will indicate this!

Kerry
22-07-2007, 03:02 PM
Foxy trying to jog some memory, is this the same guy who designed and was building around a 10m alloy cat (highish type bow) as a general LFB sometime in the past 10 years on the sunshine coast and in the early 90's had something to do with a marine shop somewhere behind the Kawana Water shopping centre (or there abouts in that vicinity somewhere) ??

dfox
22-07-2007, 03:07 PM
So foxy was that the first 6.2KC or the second model?
The original im told.
Like most things kerry, when your told by a mate of a mate things become uncertain and facts become twisted..

dfox
22-07-2007, 03:10 PM
Foxy trying to jog some memory, is this the same guy who designed and was building around a 10m alloy cat (highish type bow) as a general LFB sometime in the past 10 years on the sunshine coast and in the early 90's had something to do with a marine shop somewhere behind the Kawana Water shopping centre (or there abouts in that vicinity somewhere) ??

Sorry, i dont know. I was under the impression he moved north, mackay, cairns maybe?

fly_1
22-07-2007, 03:40 PM
Fred Temminck and crew were the original designers of the 6.2m Kevlacat.( Along with being one of the original owners of Kcat) He also designed the 5.2, 7.2 , and the original 8m+ magnum.
Fred has since moved on, along with all of the original crew from kcat, but one of the original designers / surveyers I believe is still there.
Bobs boats have nothing to do with any of the kcat designs.
And for the record, Bobs a mate of mine, and he has done a few touch ups on my Kevlacat.
His boats are very solid, well built boats, and you only have to look at the following he has with the local pro-fishing crew , to see how popular they have become.

OPTI
22-07-2007, 03:49 PM
at the end of the day whats it matter if it was a copy ,flop, cut and shut,or designed on a beer carton,the important thing here is ,its a good design that has proven it self and is built well.::)

cormorant
22-07-2007, 04:39 PM
Hi
I had posted on the other coastal cat thread but some posts have been removed I think or my post didn't appear. Not specifically only to coastal cat but what cat dimensions do and don't work.

Like most of you I have been in some very pleasant and also downright scary cats in varied conditions from millpond to "how the hell did we survive that"!

My personal experience at the helm makes me hate cats that require excess power just to keep the bow up to stop them seeming to nosedive down faces of waves and into holes and I much prefer cats that have enough bouyancy and sponson up front to stop that digging in feeling. Dislike the pounding tunnel slap but don't care if the cat is riding OK.

I have used cats ranging from very old deisel shark cats to the same boats with 2 stroke outboards, have been out with ab divers in conditions I wouldn't normally consider, on dive boats like cougar cats and so on.

Don't want a brand name slanging match but am interested to discover which cats have particular qualities be they good or bad and I'm not talking marketing crap and whether the relative dimensions of tunnel width and length to width play a part and how much?.

Oh yeah - what did I miss in the other topic before it was moderated??

Outer Edge
22-07-2007, 06:00 PM
I notice the original thread has been closed so i hope im not out of line here.
My understanding of the boat (coastal cats) is that it was developed from a number of drawings originally scribbled by Paul Deourio (spelling) who i believe drew up and developed the 6.2 KC. If im correct these drawings helped stimulate Bob (who i dont know) design and build his current boat moulds. Unless my understandings are just a load of gossip which appears to be rife in the boat building industry, i cant see how these boats are copies of any other cat designs ...foxy

D Fox,

You are pretty close to the truth in the way that ( Paul deorio) was involved in the design of the hull in the early days when the 5.8 m version was the only one in production... ( Zac took me for a spin in the 5.8 out to Wide C to get a mate rating, very impresed but was not a fan of no sleep area ) So i spoke to bob and said build me a 5.8 cuddie with no avail..

Since then things have come a long way, a bloke by the name of Chris haines (pro fisherman)has put a lot of hard work in R & D to get the hulls to perform at there peak . wile spending time at sea you soon get a feel for what can be improved mainly with the hull and make changes with chimes ECT..

I remember approx 8 or 9 years ago going out with chris in the first 7 m hull for a trip up north for a couple of days to 1) catch fish and 2) R & D...that paticular hull has had some changes and now there is a commercial version to take more pay load , which i upgraded to bout a year ago ...The commercial version is 40% softer riding than the Rec version also avaiable.. These boats also need very little HP to push them along and the only timber is in the transom..

Regards , Outer edge.

julian1
22-07-2007, 08:51 PM
D Fox,

You are pretty close to the truth in the way that ( Paul deorio) was involved in the design of the hull in the early days when the 5.8 m version was the only one in production... ( Zac took me for a spin in the 5.8 out to Wide C to get a mate rating, very impresed but was not a fan of no sleep area ) So i spoke to bob and said build me a 5.8 cuddie with no avail..

Since then things have come a long way, a bloke by the name of Chris haines (pro fisherman)has put a lot of hard work in R & D to get the hulls to perform at there peak . wile spending time at sea you soon get a feel for what can be improved mainly with the hull and make changes with chimes ECT..

I remember approx 8 or 9 years ago going out with chris in the first 7 m hull for a trip up north for a couple of days to 1) catch fish and 2) R & D...that paticular hull has had some changes and now there is a commercial version to take more pay load , which i upgraded to bout a year ago ...The commercial version is 40% softer riding than the Rec version also avaiable.. These boats also need very little HP to push them along and the only timber is in the transom..

Regards , Outer edge.

What are the difference between the Commercial version to make it a 40% softer ride ?

Kiktz
22-07-2007, 09:04 PM
Julian,

I am sure outside edge will give you more detailed answer, but an extra chime
and which in turn gives you a better ride height. From rec hull to com hull you ride
about 6inches higher. The Coastal Cats having a big tunnel through and the extra height you have to hit a pretty nice she for her to bang

Aj

Smithy
22-07-2007, 09:06 PM
Foxy,

what Perko was getting at in the other thread and the way he told it to me was they had a fiddle with Paul D'Aruia's NC one time when it ended up on the beach for whatever reason and came up with the Coastal Cats. Maybe they were forerunners to the Coastals, dunno. I certainly remember trolling beside Paul D'Aruia up at 1770 when he had the NC with the twin 50 Hondas. He and that boat and those motors were written up a fair bit in F&B mag about that time. I remember the other Mackeral pro up there that worked in with Paul and used to have the tiller steer Clark Abalone but ended up with what must have been a 5.2 centre cab (Telecom Box) Coastal Cat with the little 35 Endeavour Johnsons. Perko also talks with Scott Butterworth who is running one of the blue 7m Coastal Cats and a few of the other Mooloolaba pros and another mate Nathan is in with Chris Haines and his son who has been mentioned in this thread. Zac Pilatic has one of the 5.2s or 5.6 Coastal Cats I think.

When I get a chance I have a bit of footage of a CC that I can put on Youtube.

Anyone know the name of that other cat produced at Caloundra? Saw it at Maccas Mooloolaba the other morning. Has a raised sheerline toward the bow, glass and this one was sporting twin 115 Merc 4 strokes. Was about 5.6m and the bloke said there is only a couple of them in existence.

Outer Edge
22-07-2007, 09:28 PM
Foxy,

what Perko was getting at in the other thread and the way he told it to me was they had a fiddle with Paul D'Aruia's NC one time when it ended up on the beach for whatever reason and came up with the Coastal Cats. Maybe they were forerunners to the Coastals, dunno. I certainly remember trolling beside Paul D'Aruia up at 1770 when he had the NC with the twin 50 Hondas. He and that boat and those motors were written up a fair bit in F&B mag about that time. I remember the other Mackeral pro up there that worked in with Paul and used to have the tiller steer Clark Abalone but ended up with what must have been a 5.2 centre cab (Telecom Box) Coastal Cat with the little 35 Endeavour Johnsons. Perko also talks with Scott Butterworth who is running one of the blue 7m Coastal Cats and a few of the other Mooloolaba pros and another mate Nathan is in with Chris Haines and his son who has been mentioned in this thread. Zac Pilatic has one of the 5.2s or 5.6 Coastal Cats I think.

When I get a chance I have a bit of footage of a CC that I can put on Youtube.

Anyone know the name of that other cat produced at Caloundra? Saw it at Maccas Mooloolaba the other morning. Has a raised sheerline toward the bow, glass and this one was sporting twin 115 Merc 4 strokes. Was about 5.6m and the bloke said there is only a couple of them in existence.

The other cat manufacture is SEATREK not far from Bob ( Coastal Cat )

Not a bad design , i think the max length he builds is 6.0 m( not sure ) but it will be close...he does realy good SS work as well.

Zac also has a 7m CC smithy...

Regards , Outer Edge.

Outer Edge
22-07-2007, 09:49 PM
What are the difference between the Commercial version to make it a 40% softer ride ?

Julian,

Mate they increased the sponson hight and width to give it more tunnel hight to take more pay load... towards the bow it has been rounded of more to give it a smoother entry , the chimes at the front have been slightly reversed also... Ive had both and the Commercial is far more superior in my opinon.. and you will prob find that most of the other boys will aggree..and she can take some load.

There are some other changes made but thats it in a nut shell so to speak, hope this helps.

Regards, Outer edge.

julian1
22-07-2007, 10:11 PM
Julian,

Mate they increased the sponson hight and width to give it more tunnel hight to take more pay load... towards the bow it has been rounded of more to give it a smoother entry , the chimes at the front have been slightly reversed also... Ive had both and the Commercial is far more superior in my opinon.. and you will prob find that most of the other boys will aggree..and she can take some load.

There are some other changes made but thats it in a nut shell so to speak, hope this helps.

Regards, Outer edge.

so why would you buy the rec version then ? is the commercial version a bit walky with no load ?

MyWay
22-07-2007, 11:36 PM
D Fox,

Regards , Outer edge.

if commercial version is 40% softer
the Rec version mast riding very very bad or not at all ,
as my mate was on one prov. fish @6m one and rids just ok

no_luck

fly_1
23-07-2007, 05:59 AM
Smithy, Outer edge is right, as the other cat is a made by Allan from Seatrek marine. He has years of experience building boats, ( another original from the early Kcat days, although he was building the original alloy trailers up there), and the one at mooloolaba is the first to hit the water. He has another one on the water now, and its powered by 90hp Etecs, and from what I hear it goes much better than the merc powered one. ( due to less weight on the pods, new designed pods etc etc...) He is changing the design alittle I believe with the next one, ( moving the cabin 300mm forward , and also moving the fuel tanks I believe). He has a heap of contacts from S Aust (ab divers etc), and has sold a few more down there. ( once he builds them, although he is always doing odd jobs, stainless work etc for everyone else, so they might take a while to get finished.!!!)
A few of the boys in the SCGFC went for a ride, and were impressed with the boat.
regards

fly_1

Grand_Marlin
23-07-2007, 07:08 AM
Terminology for your reference:

A chine in boating refers to a relatively sharp angle in the hull.

A chime is a sound from a ringing bell.

To aid you in portraying your vast knowledge on boat design ::) I thought this may be useful ;)

Cheers

Pete

Kerry
23-07-2007, 08:57 AM
Terminology for your reference:

A chine in boating refers to a relatively sharp angle in the hull.

A chime is a sound from a ringing bell.

To aid you in portraying your vast knowledge on boat design ::) I thought this may be useful ;)

Cheers

Pete

:) You should also have added sponson a catamaran does not have any.

Kerry
23-07-2007, 09:10 AM
Regardless of how high one can get a tunnel in these lenths there is simply none that will not bang.

With all this 40% softer ride and hull riding 6 inches higher (this claimed 6" higher ridding also leaves a lot of questions ???) then it does beg the question why build both?

I belive in general terms a Cat made for or claimed as a better load carrier will have a rounded/flater type of keel as to keep the hulls v tunnel in proportion and claim all the advantages then this tends to get the engines a bit higher than say a V type hull. A flater keel might increase load capability but it's not as good a sea boat as a V type hull design, it is all a compromise.

Regards, Kerry.

Kerry
23-07-2007, 09:17 AM
....what Perko was getting at in the other thread and the way he told it to me was they had a fiddle with Paul D'Aruia's NC one time when it ended up on the beach for whatever reason and came up with the Coastal Cats.

This being a what 5.2NC ??? So is this where the thinking comes from with regards the 2.3m beam on a 7m boat??????

julian1
23-07-2007, 11:22 AM
Smithy, Outer edge is right, as the other cat is a made by Allan from Seatrek marine. He has years of experience building boats, ( another original from the early Kcat days, although he was building the original alloy trailers up there), and the one at mooloolaba is the first to hit the water. He has another one on the water now, and its powered by 90hp Etecs, and from what I hear it goes much better than the merc powered one. ( due to less weight on the pods, new designed pods etc etc...) He is changing the design alittle I believe with the next one, ( moving the cabin 300mm forward , and also moving the fuel tanks I believe). He has a heap of contacts from S Aust (ab divers etc), and has sold a few more down there. ( once he builds them, although he is always doing odd jobs, stainless work etc for everyone else, so they might take a while to get finished.!!!)
A few of the boys in the SCGFC went for a ride, and were impressed with the boat.
regards

fly_1

Do we have any pics or infor on these ? website ?

Outer Edge
23-07-2007, 07:26 PM
so why would you buy the rec version then ? is the commercial version a bit walky with no load ?

Julian,

The commercial version is designed mainly for commercial purpose to accomidate for more pay load.

The rec version i believe is designed more for the rec fisherman not needing to cary much load, fuel,ice,gear,ect...

Is the commercial version a bit walky with no load..... there is a differance but min.

Hope this helps.:)

Outer edge.

Smithy
26-07-2007, 04:39 AM
qzyMbTEXKv8

I am guessing this is Zac Pilatic's seeing it is on Fraser and he has won many prizes over there during the years.

Kiktz
26-07-2007, 08:35 PM
Looks just as easy as launching from a boat ramp.
Good going smithy

dan099
11-10-2007, 09:23 PM
this is an old post but i got nothing else to do
pauls boat was a noosa cat 5mt and he widened it and put about a metere on the back and then was used for the plug for the coastal cats so he tells me. his boat is for sale at australian marine center about $58000 if u look at the side u can see the extension

deadbeatloser
12-10-2007, 09:27 PM
no totally different fellows bob coastal cat and al is making the new cats with very sharp and pointy deadrise cant remember the name but hav bin both and no 5 different people with coastals all pro an they love them an all would never touch a kc.

julian1
13-10-2007, 02:34 PM
anyone know the name of these other cats or have any pics ?

vertico
13-11-2007, 09:24 PM
ive been in a 7m ex pro coastal cat in adverse 30 knots winds 2m plus swell off DI and it just lapped it all up. Never been in a kevlacat so i cant compare.

mirage
14-11-2007, 07:55 AM
anyone know the name of these other cats or have any pics ?

Julian, the "other" cat you are talking about is a 6.0m (I think) built by Alan at Sea Trek Marine in Caloundra. His work and finish is excellent and as Fly-1 said earlier he does a heap of extra stainless and glass work for all the locals. He doesn't advertise, no website, not even in the phone book as far as I know. Just word of mouth. PM me if you want his number.
Scotty.

julian1
14-11-2007, 10:06 AM
no worries, thanks Scotty, do you have a pic of one ?

mirage
14-11-2007, 04:46 PM
Nope, sorry Julian.

Coastal77
13-01-2008, 11:32 AM
Here is some pics of my coastal cat. I purchased it last year and am quite impressed with it. I live in Mackay and use it a fishing rig. The reef is 60kts out and this boat handles the ride great. Unfortunitly I could use a few more horses, currently it has twin 75hp and sits on about 24kts. Fuel economy is great though it would be nice to sit on 32 kts when the weather is good. I am interested on how anyone elses performs with larger donks.

Blackened
13-01-2008, 12:06 PM
G'day

Nice rig there and always wanted to see one with windows in the cab, looks great.

Is that the 7m model? I know reef_king is running twin 140hp suzi's on his 7m coastal, he may have figures up in previous threads

Dave

brisbane
06-03-2008, 03:24 PM
I was just having a quick read through these posts, we are getting lost in somebody who is trying to justify themselves against something they don't know anything about. Until all parties have owned or at least had a ride in boat vessels of coastal cat, and that of the 6.2 Kevla Cat you really don't have right to an opinion on the difference in both boats. It is best left to the people who actually know the boats, own them and have had some imput into desgning them. I know Bob of CC personally and is a hell of a designer and boat builder, he also has a great boat which is a vessel that has either 2.3 or 2.8m beam. the 2.3m beam for ease of trailering. The 1st CC that i owned was of top quality with all the bells and whistles of all the brand name cats. As for the 3 KC i have owned, with varing power. 75's, 90's and 140's. They have a wider sponsoon but are a lot smaller boat and are more likely to nose dive through the back of a wave. Neither of the 2 CC however indicated or even came close to the expierence that occurs in KC. All boats have their plus' and minus'.
What i am trying to put across is if you want an opinion, validate it by going for a ride in the boats and get your own opinion.