PDA

View Full Version : I tried a resin ramp & another different butt and wrappy thingo

finga
21-07-2007, 08:10 AM
Gidday again,
I made a little knobby knocker rod (6'4"....4-8kg) for the boat and tried some other things like a resin ramp and made a traditional butt this time (so the bloody thing can go in a rodholder)
The butt is Beech with redgum on the ends for a bit of toughness when I drop it.
This wrappy dodad is redbacks.
I'm very happy with the wooden butts. They seem to balance the rod well. This rod with a 4000 Shimano (ta Webby :) ) has the point of balance just on the front edge of the reelseat.
Overall weight is still down due to the beech and the rod comes in at a tad less then 170gms
I hope the pictures are OK?? Looks like I have to get a tripod now :-/
Next rod is going to be a weave ;D
Cheers then.
:)

SIRO
21-07-2007, 09:02 AM
Awsome job on the whole rod 'esp the handle , might have to invest in a wood lathe myself .

finga
21-07-2007, 02:44 PM
Sorry to say but that one was done on a metal lathe :(

Owen
21-07-2007, 03:04 PM
Nice job Scott!

I'm betting the pics don't do it justice.

blaze
21-07-2007, 03:09 PM
aliminium reel seat, aliminium rear grip, aliminium for grip. Have you a knurling tool?. Leaves itself open for some fine etching too.
sorry
cheers
blaze
ps
nice rod, and oh so nice to be truely custom

finga
21-07-2007, 03:50 PM
aliminium reel seat, aliminium rear grip, aliminium for grip. Have you a knurling tool?. Leaves itself open for some fine etching too.
sorry
cheers
blaze
ps
nice rod, and oh so nice to be truely custom
The cook's up you mate. ;D
She reckon I don't need any more ideas thanks.
PS I have a knurley dohickey ;)

Lucky_Phill
21-07-2007, 08:02 PM
Pardon my ignorance. a resin ramp ?

I presume its the section that lets the epoxy on the rod run into the foregrip in an ' orderly ' fashion ?

Phill

ps, I am leaving your butts alone.

finga
22-07-2007, 07:27 AM
Pardon my ignorance. a resin ramp ?

I presume its the section that lets the epoxy on the rod run into the foregrip in an ' orderly ' fashion ?

Phill

ps, I am leaving your butts alone.

Got it in one matey.
And that's on both items thanks.
We don't need to go down that path again do we :P
When do you want that lathe??

Lucky_Phill
22-07-2007, 07:48 AM
the lathe would come in handy....TODAY :o

Phill

finga
22-07-2007, 08:38 AM
the lathe would come in handy....TODAY :o

Phill
Come and get IT then ::)

Lucky_Phill
22-07-2007, 09:07 AM
On my way. see you in 4 hours. :P ;) 8-)

BenatCoffs
24-07-2007, 10:08 PM
That's great work Finga, And I thought I was the only one to set the auto feed on a metal lathe to cut wood :P

finga
25-07-2007, 06:42 AM
I thought I was the only one to set the auto feed on a metal lathe to cut wood :P
Ssssshhhhh keep the secret quiet ;D
The metal lathe makes it really easy to get a good fit for the reel seat and makes it easier to get a hole up the guts.
Besides that I also don't get wood crap all over me and down the shirt and shorts when I take a square chunk and turn it into a round piece with the auto feed. :D
Lazy bugger I am ::)
Cheers Scott :)

oldboot
05-09-2007, 01:05 PM
I think some of you fellas need to come over and join woodworkforums.com:)

I notice that timber rod handles is a big thing in the states.......doesn't seem to be as popular here.

just a couple of points

do you taper the inside bore of the handles to match the rod or rely on epoxy?

Ive done my fair share of tool handles...I want to have a go at rod handles sometime.

with the end did you blind bore it or thru bore it then plug it with the redgum.?

If anybody is looking for a lathe for spinning up rod handles the jet mini lathe would be great, small, nice and not too expensive.

cheers

finga
05-09-2007, 02:39 PM
I do wood butts 90% of the time.
I reckon they balance the rod better and it fills in some time making them.
I'm a member of woodworkforums :)

Blind bore the holes and they're straight as an arrow matey.
Goo is good for holding them onto the rod :D

That particular rod was made as an experiment to see if the blanks were any good. My brother and I loaded her up one day and jiggled and jerked and bucked and did everything we could think of the break it but it stayed in one piece though.
We did manage to break that foregrip though. The redgum cap on the foregrip broke from the beech because of the amount of 'bend' we had happening in the rod :D
From now on these types of foregrips aren't going to go 1/2 way down into the reelseat. Just the the top of the seat will do and this will allow some movement of the blank around the foregrip.

Have a gander at the other threads I've started in rodbuilding to see some of my other experiements Oldboot.

B_E_N
05-09-2007, 04:15 PM
would that be the oem blank from a certain us dealer?? :) i got 3 in the last order i put in, in the 5'6" 2-4lb and the next one up in the 6' range, nice and light! and they are strong like you said

finga
05-09-2007, 04:33 PM
would that be the oem blank from a certain us dealer?? :) i got 3 in the last order i put in, in the 5'6" 2-4lb and the next one up in the 6' range, nice and light! and they are strong like you said
They be the ones matey ;D
Good eh??;)