PDA

View Full Version : Barra caught at Bribie Island

Fitzy
19-07-2007, 07:19 PM
The attached pic is reported to be of a barramundi captures next to the Bribie Island Bridge earlier this week.

Believe it or dont believe it.

Either way, its a nice fish... ;D

Cheers,

Fitzy..

Alchemy
19-07-2007, 07:25 PM
Nothing would surprise me. Great healthy looking fish too.

Dave.

robersl
19-07-2007, 07:26 PM
Fitzy
I Would Of Thought It Was Caught In Fresh Water Its Tail Would Be Yellow Not Black Like That One If From Salt They Change To Black In In Fresh Water , Not Saying It's Not Possible As They Get The Odd One At Noosa River But You Have More Of A Fresh Water Back There

Shane

choppa
19-07-2007, 07:33 PM
the locals are having a field day on this,,,

with response to shane's reply above the barra that was caught in m/dore a few months back was verified,,, and had much the same colorings,,

i will admit,,, i thought it was hearsay and a bit of too many ales,,,, but now seeing the pic,,,,,,,,mmmmmmmmmm

a bit like the stalked eyed swimmer i caught a trip or so back,,,, been here fo over 15 yrs,,, never seen/heard/or caught one before,,,, so why not a barra

Foxy4
19-07-2007, 07:36 PM
Wonder if it has any thing to do with Global whatever???

Dan5
19-07-2007, 07:42 PM
A black tail is no really reliable indication of saltwater barra i've caught plenty at bathurst/melville island's with black tail's and there's not freshwater for mile's in any direction i've even caught them with half yellow half black tail's.Dan.....

Kleyny
19-07-2007, 07:48 PM
whats the world coming to.
next those sighting of that croc in the passage will be confirmed.

Either way it interests me of the thought of catching a barra in my back yard.

neil

choppa
19-07-2007, 07:54 PM
whats the world coming to.
next those sighting of that croc in the passage will be confirmed.

Either way it interests me of the thought of catching a barra in my back yard.

neil

sorry to say neil but the ""croc"" was confirmed,,,, but it went away really quite like

thats if we're talking about the one that haunted the bottom end of the passage about 6 yrs ago,,,,

without naming names,,, a resident of sandstone point was the culprit,,,, him and his ""radio controlled submarine "" had the place in a mild panic for awhile,,,, bit like the beach in jaws 1,,,,,;D ;D ;D ;D

choppa

kingtin
19-07-2007, 08:31 PM
Wouldn't bet on it being fake but it's been played with in some way. Look at the bottom half of the left hand edge. Looks like an other layer overlapping to me.

kev

jackextracter
19-07-2007, 08:42 PM
Nice fish there it is very possible it is a real catch they have caught a few at the pin over the years, and i have caught salties with brown tails.

tunaticer
19-07-2007, 09:55 PM
I have a very good mate i've been fishing with since 1980 who lived at Toorbul.
He fished that passage almost to death over the 8 yrs he lived there but only took enough for a feed each time he went. Anyway there was a pond at the prawn farm that backs onto Bullock creek that was trialling barras and some got woshed into the creek in a downpour. My mate caught a very healthy specimen in Bullock creek about a yr later in his cast net whilst chasing prawns. I have seen the pics of his barra and she has shown me where it was caught at etc.

There would most likely be quite a few of them in the passage still and that sized barra would be about right.

I am surprised to see a black tail on a saltie tho.

Jack.

crabbie
19-07-2007, 10:02 PM
Hi, New member-first reply
Wednesdays Caboolture News- This weeks best catches has the following information.

Other-saltwater barramundi
Weight-9.730kg
Location -bribie bridge
Bait- LANDING NET
J hoy ,Elimbah
If this is due to global warming does this mean we will soon be catching barra in the bay? Apparently we will not need bait or sp"s just a good size landing net.

Black_Rat
19-07-2007, 10:18 PM
Global warming ??????????? ;D ;D ;D LMFAO ! A Barra has moved down south for winter to freeze it's arse off ;D ;D ;D

Lovey80
19-07-2007, 10:19 PM
Good pick up Kev. may be onto something there.

Cheers Chris

minno
19-07-2007, 10:44 PM
The waters are warming, and the fish population will move down with it. The great barra reef will soon, with- in a hundred years, be right on your door step.
The coral and its life will enrich our fishing world, so I think this is a good sign, depending on how you look at it.

minno

FNQCairns
20-07-2007, 06:52 AM
How old would that barra be? For what it is worth on a forum, In the mid 80s I saw and touched my first barra, caught only a couple of minutes before hand on some lure by my mate along the dropoff at Whiteside?? (then just north of the built-up areas on the western side of bribie). Not as big as that brute!

Cheers fnq

blaze
20-07-2007, 07:13 AM
there was a dolphin fish caught at Eagle Hawk Neck this year, south east corner of tassie.
cheers
blaze

CHAPPY
20-07-2007, 07:29 AM
If the Barra survive well at the barra farm at bli bli, I cant see why they would not survive in the wild.

Nic
20-07-2007, 07:52 AM
It's also possible it was released from one of those big display tanks they have at tourneys and shows.

Mattg68
20-07-2007, 09:13 AM
the pic looks authentic enough (sorry Kev but that is a post & its reflection in the water in left corner). If not someone's gone to alot of trouble transporting it for a photo shoot - MAKEUP!!!

Look out all you Bribarians, your about to be consumed with high speed, octane powered, sponsor supported, vest wearing, platform casting, lure chucking, Barra comp pros. Just kiddin'..............or am I.

If this so called 'global warming' is to blame then WHY IS IT SO FRIGGIN' COLD.

Ahh mother nature, isn't she a sneaking wench.

Matt

stonecold
20-07-2007, 09:59 AM
So how long do you reckon before we start catching them at Ballina!

xerubus
20-07-2007, 10:13 AM
It's would say it's a fake guys. If you open it up in photoshop, and do some pixel peeping you will see quite a lot of jpg artifacts around the fish and person, however no artifacts around the bridge, light post, etc. Also the shadows don't match up from the direction of the sun.

Also, if you play with the histogram and dick around with the levels, it really stands out as a 'good' photochop.

Would be nice to believe though :)

Tim_N
20-07-2007, 10:54 AM
A couple of points to those who don't know the Bribie area very well.
Where are all of the cars on the Bribie bridge?
Where are the overhead lights and rails on the bridge, they have been there for years?
I know the location of the pic, but in the background, you should see the northern end of Ningi Creek and Toorbul, they aren't there.
I'm not too sure this is for real.
Tim

the gecko
20-07-2007, 11:22 AM
The overhead lights can be seen above the hand thats holding the lipgrip. The angle of the sun is consistant. kevs bit is just a post and its reflection. If you know this ramp, youd know the post.

This shot seems to be taken from the VMR boat ramp looking back towards the Sth? So ningi ck would not be visible.

I would think a tackleshop report in the paper would be confirmed before being reported. Im a believer anyway.

I might open it up in photoshop when I get some time. The histogram comment is certainly worth looking into.

Andrew

xerubus
20-07-2007, 11:49 AM
I'm sure the guys down south won't miss out on these monster global warming barra's either!!

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/4415/barrasydneyjn0.jpg

Bit of a dodgy effort.. but i'm at work and don't have much spare time atm. :)

Little grey men
20-07-2007, 11:55 AM
Hard to tell if it's fake without seeing the original high res picture, Being a compressed image will degrade the quality a fair bit. I showed one of the guy's I work with who is a keen pictaker and does a lot of Photoshop manipulation, $7000 camera's and all the rest. We enlarged it in Photoshop and he thought it looked real. If it's a fake it's a really good one.
Quite a lot of Barra in farms around the area so it sure is possible.
Sure would be a surprising catch.

jackextracter
20-07-2007, 11:59 AM
There was a photo in one of the fishing monthlys a few months back of someone getting a barra in the logan.

Little grey men
20-07-2007, 12:03 PM
Nice work Xerubus.

Didley
20-07-2007, 12:05 PM
The waters are warming, and the fish population will move down with it. The great barra reef will soon, with- in a hundred years, be right on your door step.
The coral and its life will enrich our fishing world, so I think this is a good sign, depending on how you look at it.

minno
I’m going out to buy some scuba gear this weekend, before it goes up in price if that is the case! Does any one know where the pic originated from? They are in the Noosa River so it’s not a stretch to think there would be a few in the passage, but I have my reservations on that photo, but who knows.

Tailortaker
20-07-2007, 12:11 PM
Nice work xerubus, I think you proved something there. As for the post, I use the boatramp at the VMR everyweek but I dont recall the post ??? Is it on the north or south side of the little jetty?
________
Kitchen Measures (http://kitchenmeasures.com/)

kingtin
20-07-2007, 01:21 PM
Xerebus has got a point. Enlarge the pic above 700% and you will notice the pixelation in the landscape is different than the bloke holding the fish. The top part of the fish tail is also a different pixelation and is strighter than the rest of the tail as if it's not been cut out of the original properly and a piece is missing.........it could be simply curled inwards though.

It's a hard call but I've never seen pixelation dissimilar in the background to the fore ground before. It could simply be that because the background is composed in the main of verticals and horizontals that diagonal pixelation isn't shown.

kev

Top Tip:

Expensive hair gels are a con. Marmalade is a much cheaper alternative, but beware of bees in the summer.

tunaticer
20-07-2007, 01:43 PM
The image looks quite ridgy didge to me.

Im going out on a limb here tho..............with the angle of the picture and the lay of the fish are we possibly looking ad a jewie on on odd angle and we have barra implanted in our minds?

The body resembles a jewie to me more so that an barra.

Jack.

BenatCoffs
20-07-2007, 02:32 PM
Just have a look at the latest SST

http://www.cmar.csiro.au/remotesensing/oceancurrents/Brisbane/2007071612.gif

Ain't no barra going to be eating anything if it was swimming around in 16 degree water

I can understand it at Noosa, but not the passage!

lippa
20-07-2007, 03:08 PM
at least the gills a very red and the body limp to sugest rigormortis hasnt set in.
that proves at least it wasnt transported there for a photo opportunity

wasnt there one caught in the pine about ten year ago?

cheers

lippa

flotsom
20-07-2007, 03:31 PM
yeh, the one in the pine from a bloke in a painted white tinny, he did have to many tinnys, hay lip??

lippa
20-07-2007, 03:39 PM
nah see what happened there was, too many tinnys were drunk. too many bloody bull sharks caught. and some goose in a yellow boat filling my pots up with empty stubbies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

robersl
20-07-2007, 08:24 PM
well brownie said on the radio this morning that a another one was picked up in a landing net in the southern bay this week as well fish feeding on the surface and boat went through it with out seeing it and barra floated to the top reckons that one was ridgy didge as a mate of his caught it ?

shane

haggis
20-07-2007, 08:48 PM
I hope the barra are coming to bribie as it will save me alot of money in fuel and I will have more time fishing for them rather than a six & half hour drive to awoonga .

cheers fae haggis ...................

FNQCairns
20-07-2007, 08:57 PM
Suspect the upper reaches of adjoining creeks/tributaries are being influenced more by the cold than the passage (or anywhere in SEQ) which would be warm by comparison and the resident barra are fleeing toward more open waters.

cheers fnq

Synful
20-07-2007, 09:26 PM
Global warming ??????????? ;D ;D ;D LMFAO ! A Barra has moved down south for winter to freeze it's arse off ;D ;D ;D

Mate - not wrong!
I just came back from Brisbane last weekend and i can tell you that it is bloody cold there at present, certainly not conducive to catching Barra at all.

My Dad tells me it's been around 4 degrees in the northern suburbs the last week - Brrr!!

tunaticer
20-07-2007, 10:31 PM
This morning on scarby reef I had frost form on the face of the sounder about an hour before first light. Does that mean it was a tad chilly or that i was insane for being there?

Jack

Synful
20-07-2007, 10:52 PM
This morning on scarby reef I had frost form on the face of the sounder about an hour before first light. Does that mean it was a tad chilly or that i was insane for being there?

Jack

Mate so long as you got a feed or had a good time even if you didn't it was justified in my books!

stonecold
20-07-2007, 11:23 PM
Hang on...does that all mean that I should be able to catch a barra at Ballina............. soon!

BenatCoffs
21-07-2007, 12:19 PM
Ok, might be changing my thoughts on this.....

Todays paper in Coffs Harbour reported the catching of a BONEFISH!!!! by a local angler, who took it into Fishing Tackle Australia for identification - he'd caught a Whiting on Steroids!!!

What's next? New Guinea Black Bass in the Tweed?

tunaticer
21-07-2007, 04:02 PM
I remember reading many years ago about a week of catching bonefish on a norfolk island beach by an aussie on holidays. Was an article in either fishing world or modern fishing in the 1970's or early 1980's.
That would be similar latitude i guess.

Jack.

Blackened
21-07-2007, 04:26 PM
G'day

To me, something about the pic just doesn't look right, not sure what it is though.

Remember a few years ago... a penguin was washed up on north straddie?

Species will travel, whether it be accidental or not.

With the natural progression of the globe, seas will rise and retreat, temperature will rise and fall, albeit over a very long time period, but it will still happen.

Who would of thought that there'd be threadfin in the brisbane river?

Dave

choppa
21-07-2007, 05:38 PM
G'day

Species will travel, whether it be accidental or not.

Dave

i totally agree dave,,,,, and as posted earlier,,,, who would have believed a barra being caught in maroochydore,,,,??????????????

pic has a few issues,,,,as pointed out by kev,,,, and a few others,,,, but are we trying to undo a report that a barra WAS caught by delving into the possibilities that its a clever photoshop,,,,,???????

BUT THE MAIN ISSUE WITH THE PIC IS WHERE ARE THE OVERHEAD LIGHTS THAT HAVE BEEN IN PLACE FOR THE PAST 2-3 YEARS ON THE BRIDGE??????????

the local pelican flock love em as an overnite resting spot

bribie weekly ran the story,,,, i personally didn't read it,,, but if it was run,,, it means that the fish had to be presented at the 3-4 relevant weigh in centres for it to go to print

wheres ninginigel when you need him??????????????????

choppa

shappy
21-07-2007, 05:42 PM
hey everyone,
just having a read of this tread and i hope barra do start turning up down this way!!!
i remember when i was younger and the odd mangrove jack showed up in moreton bay and was only somthing you would find more in the north, now they are as common as the next fish.

thanks, shappy

goggles
21-07-2007, 05:43 PM
barra at bribie, threadfin salmon under the gateway, they catch them at marroom in the sand straits. What with the water being a chilly 14 degrees maybe he jumped into the cast net just to get out and warm up.

loophole
21-07-2007, 09:54 PM
was this fish released to breed so there are more barra to catch?

kingtin
21-07-2007, 10:04 PM
was this fish released to breed so there are more barra to catch?

Here we go again! ::)

kev

Top Tips:

Nuns at St Cuthbert's School in the early 1950s. Demonstrate a keen sense of irony by calling yourselves the "Sisters of Mercy'" whilst beating the shit out of us kids on a daily basis with bamboo canes, leather straps, and anything else that you could lay your hands on.

Blackened
21-07-2007, 10:57 PM
G'day

Bloody hell owen, how many rums for that?? i'm impressed!!

Would make the start of a great argument to put forward to any greenie out of line!

Dave

Mattg68
21-07-2007, 11:51 PM
the overhead lights can be seen (or at least 1 of them) above his left hand, i think the others are just coincidently covered due to the distance between them.

SKEPTICS UNITE - ahh, that's just bullshit.

my concern is the clear evidence of what appears to be the lochness monster to the guys right. i've opened it in photoshop & it's so real i could hear it breathing.

Gotta love a good ghost story.

Matt

kingtin
22-07-2007, 07:53 AM
my concern is the clear evidence of what appears to be the lochness monster to the guys right. i've opened it in photoshop & it's so real i could hear it breathing.

Matt

I think that's my deckie doing the topless backstroke! ;D

kev

Top Tips:

Parents. Each week count the contents of your cutlery drawer. This way you can quickly identify if any spoons or knives have gone missing that could potentially be used to administer illegal drugs or commit violent crime.

choppa
22-07-2007, 07:53 AM
the overhead lights can be seen (or at least 1 of them) above his left hand, i think the others are just coincidently covered due to the distance between them.

SKEPTICS UNITE - ahh, that's just bullshit.

Gotta love a good ghost story.

Matt

matt,,,, your right,,,, and i thank you for your ""eagle eye"" picking up nessie in the background,,,,,its got me buggered how i didn't notice that b4,,,,

i'm off to the weekly,,,, this will make a great report for next weeks paper:o :o

choppa

Greg P
22-07-2007, 07:56 AM
Funny colour tail for a salty - maybe it was a farmed one that was released ::)

Fitzy
22-07-2007, 04:55 PM
I've seen very silver barra come from right up river systems & dark barra out in the rust water.

They are a migratory fish & do move around accordingly. They dont change color over night.

First pic is a barra from up the Daly River near Alligator Point.
http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/gallery/DalyRiver107Barra.jpg

Bottom pic is a barra taken from off the Perrin Islands NT.

The theory that barra in saltwater = silvery & barra in sweetwater = dark aint always true.

Have other pics here of barra caught in SEQ canals in the past weeks as well, tho none of them are of the same size.

Endemic to SEQ?? The debate will continue for sure, however one edition of Ern Grants great book decribed catching barra in Pummicestone Passage.

Believe it or not. Conspiracy theory? Global warming? Or just trick photography, smoke & mirros?

Interesting all the same.....

Cheers,

Fitzy..

robersl
22-07-2007, 06:44 PM
well what colour eye's has the barra got a farmed barra has red eye's i think and a wild barra has yellow eye's . well thats what our guide said in darwin this year as a lot escaped from melville is this year from pens and some of the more underhanded guides were taking people to the area and catching a lot of fish but they were all smaller farmed barra and the flesh goe's to mush due to being fed on pellets and then tring to fend for themselves in the wild

shane

hungry6
22-07-2007, 06:53 PM
I've only just looked at this thread, I have a property not very far from the "exact" alledge spot that foto was taken, I cant say the foto was ridgy didge or not, but I can confirm the anomalies as pointed out is the edge of a marking post for an old oyster lease and from that I would say the bara was "caught" at the very mouth of ningi creek on the western side of the middle oyster ground. I've travelled past and "into" this point hundreds of time. LOL.

Shane I need u to be a tour guide for a day around donnybrooks when ever you"re ready.

tunaticer
22-07-2007, 07:05 PM
I'm still not convinced it is not a jewie pic taken at a angle to resemble a barra.

Does anyone who actually saw or better still handled this fish want to stick thier hands up an vouch for it's originality?

Jack.

loophole
22-07-2007, 07:26 PM
can some one pls confirm this fish

ashh
22-07-2007, 07:52 PM
wierder things have happened, like the deer that lives on wavebreak island and sometimes swims across the broadwater to the mainland. No shit. They investigated it and found deer dung on wavebreak.

ffejsmada
22-07-2007, 08:08 PM
Not any more ash, that Deer was shot by the cops the other day! hahahahahah;D......... no sh!t

ashh
22-07-2007, 08:23 PM
really? what did the deer do wrong ??

kingtin
22-07-2007, 08:25 PM
Not any more ash, that Deer was shot by the cops the other day! hahahahahah;D......... no sh!t

I'm glad they didn't find my sh!t on Wavebreak then! ;D

kev

Top Tips:

Convince bar staff that your beer is off by sticking your finger up your bum before holding the glass close to their nose.

kingtin
22-07-2007, 08:27 PM
really? what did the deer do wrong ??

Trespassed...................rather makes that sign "trespassers will be prosecuted" look a little redundant, don't you think? ;D

kev

Top Tips:
Old people. Ensure a good fight at your wake by leaving a valuable antique in your will to a distant relative, whilst verbally promising it to a closer relative before you die.

ashh
22-07-2007, 08:34 PM
lol :D

mickc
22-07-2007, 09:15 PM
The fish does appear to be a Barra, not a jew. Check the dorsal fins. Both species havewhat appear to be 2.
JEW HAVE 10 SPINES A GAP AND A SPINE FOLLOWED BY 25/30 SOFT RAYS

BARRA HAVE 7/8 SPINES A GAP AND10/11 SPINES . Which is what this fish appears to have. So photos 50% right.

mick

_Dan_
23-07-2007, 07:53 AM
Spoke to soemone over the weekend and without giving too much away he confirmed 2 Barra caught in a River in SEQ in the past week. Not little ones either and they were silver not brown. And these are outside the ones caught at Bribie and the other smaller one in the canals.

Cheers

flairj
23-07-2007, 08:54 AM
My other arguement for it being a fake photo is the fact that the guy isn't smiling........ if you just caught a good barra at Bribie you would be smiling almost uncontrolably. Think, if he caught a 9kg Snapper in front of the same creek would he have such a nonchalant look on his face. Also, it looks like he is dressed for somewhere warmer.

While I have no doubt it is possible.... I'm calling bullsh!t on this one

Josh

flyfisho
23-07-2007, 09:16 AM
surely with all the ausfish members in that area someone must know the guy in the pic ???
don't tell me a blowfly got the honours ??
or maybe he's a mullet man and got it in a square hook ??

choppa
24-07-2007, 06:34 AM
surely with all the ausfish members in that area someone must know the guy in the pic ???
don't tell me a blowfly got the honours ??
or maybe he's a mullet man and got it in a square hook ??

bribie weekly friday 20th july,,,,,,,

i've lookd through this twic and can't find any report,,,, but on page 54 in the ""weekly best catches"" it lists the following

salt water barramundi,,,,,9.730kg,,,,,bribie bridge,,,,,landing net,,,,,by J HOY of ELIMBAH,,,,,,,,,,

as i posted earlier,,, this paper wont print catches unless there weighed in at the number of local locations around the area,,,, so it has/had to be verified,,,(or at a club weigh in or on an official entry form whic takes a week or 2 to then process)

i'm still a bit sceptical,,, the lights on the bridge have me,,,, these are about 100 mtrs apart,,,, but theres only one visible in the pic

a call to dave at bribie sports will fix it i'm sure

choppa

bugman
24-07-2007, 10:36 AM
Blaze,

I can vouch for the global warming theory. I was at Eagle Hawk Neck the day the dolphin was landed.

We'd just come in and everyone was hanging around asking - "what is it?".

I identified it as a cow Mahi Mahi of about 6kg. Noone had ever seen one in the flesh before.

It sure was lost

Brett

tanglefoot
24-07-2007, 05:17 PM
Ok Guys,

Here one for you to think about.

If you look at the pilons in the background there is sun shining on the right hand side of them, making the sun to be on the right.

But have a look at the shadow on him it goes to the right making the sun on the left.

UUUMMMM???

Sandman
24-07-2007, 05:40 PM
Who knows ? I have also heard of a few catches at the pin on several occasions i fellow who i know to be quiet honest has told me of a relative good size Barra caught in his cast net while prawning, he did release it but no photoes were ever shown. So there are a number of reports comming out of unusual catches my thoughts alot of these are from impoundments or have been released from home aquariums, I doubt they would survive the cold winter we have been experiencing.
Just to not i also caught one in the hervey bay mariner granted it was the size of a herring and i know thats a little further north than what we are discussing here, but there is no real reason they would migrate in warmer currents.

Mick
ps Buggy how the Hell are you ? hows little H ? oops and Leanne

Sandman
24-07-2007, 05:45 PM
What was the weather like last week looks to flat !!!

searchinthebay
24-07-2007, 06:17 PM
Just thought i'd add my little bit to this debate. Attached is the lasest fishing report from the bayside bulletin which states that there was a small barra caught in the Raby Bay canals

betsy
24-07-2007, 06:31 PM
I work with a fellow who lives up bribie apparently its legit although this fish wasnt too when caught it wasnt even hooked, he scooped it up in a landing net as it was swimming very groggily on its side on top of the water? apparently

clone trooper
24-07-2007, 06:45 PM
hey guys, thought I'd jump in on this one. I was at the bongaree jetty this morning flicking some plastics, anyway got talking to a local and he mentioned the barra in question so I my ears poped up and I said to him "was it real". his reply was he was there when it happened at the jetty. the boat you see in the photo was moored to the jetty.
he said he has seen them before in the passage and I see no reason for him to lie about it as he has nothing to gain only to loose( by means of all us moltey crew invading his back yard).

and someone mention the prawn farm in bullock creek and yes he has experimented with barra some years back.( if it is the same farmer?)
cheers brad.

Crestcutter
24-07-2007, 06:46 PM
On Nuggets website there is a picture of a little girl holding barra that was caught in Raby Bay.

_Dan_
25-07-2007, 07:15 AM
it was also in his report on fridays news..

choppa
25-07-2007, 10:48 AM
hey guys, thought I'd jump in on this one. I was at the bongaree jetty this morning flicking some plastics, anyway got talking to a local and he mentioned the barra in question so I my ears poped up and I said to him "was it real". his reply was he was there when it happened at the jetty. the boat you see in the photo was moored to the jetty.
he said he has seen them before in the passage and I see no reason for him to lie about it as he has nothing to gain only to loose( by means of all us moltey crew invading his back yard).

and someone mention the prawn farm in bullock creek and yes he has experimented with barra some years back.( if it is the same farmer?)
cheers brad.

brad i disagree a bit on the point that the pic was taken from bongaree jetty as the background doesnt fit,,,,, this looks to be taken from vmr area with the angle going across the passage towards the oyster jetty on the mainland,, going via the ""bend"" in the one and only light on the bridge showing also confirms it,,

as a point of interest though,,, dave confirmed yesterday that (bribie #########) that he has had numerous calls checking the authenticity of the report,,,, but it wasn't weighed in at his shop,,,, tackle inn (which is closest to vmr) had the same outcome,, but ""seemed"" reserved in saying to much,, bongaree caravan park weigh in i didn't call as not many visitors that come to the island are aware that you can weigh in here,,, which only leaves spinnaker or caboolture where it may have been taken

i'm hoping that its a real catch,,, the landing net story around the island is consistent,,, the fish was floating and splashing about a bit on top of the water,,, and scooped up,,,, ITS JUST THOSE DAMN LIGHTS THAT HAVE ME?????

oh and by the way tangle foot had a good reply re the sun/shade,,, this is not uncommon though as the bridge always casts a shadow underneath,, but it means that the pic would have to have been taken in the morning for the shadow to cast to the fellows right if he was at the vmr area,,,

i say that as the pillions of the bridge clearly show sunlight on the ""left"" face just below the road level,,, if the sun was shining from the right this would be in darkness

choppa

clone trooper
25-07-2007, 11:11 AM
brad i disagree a bit on the point that the pic was taken from bongaree jetty as the background doesnt fit,,,,, this looks to be taken from vmr area with the angle going across the passage towards the oyster jetty on the mainland,, going via the ""bend"" in the one and only light on the bridge showing also confirms it,,

as a point of interest though,,, dave confirmed yesterday that (bribie #########) that he has had numerous calls checking the authenticity of the report,,,, but it wasn't weighed in at his shop,,,, tackle inn (which is closest to vmr) had the same outcome,, but ""seemed"" reserved in saying to much,, bongaree caravan park weigh in i didn't call as not many visitors that come to the island are aware that you can weigh in here,,, which only leaves spinnaker or caboolture where it may have been taken

i'm hoping that its a real catch,,, the landing net story around the island is consistent,,, the fish was floating and splashing about a bit on top of the water,,, and scooped up,,,, ITS JUST THOSE DAMN LIGHTS THAT HAVE ME?????

oh and by the way tangle foot had a good reply re the sun/shade,,, this is not uncommon though as the bridge always casts a shadow underneath,, but it means that the pic would have to have been taken in the morning for the shadow to cast to the fellows right if he was at the vmr area,,,

i say that as the pillions of the bridge clearly show sunlight on the ""left"" face just below the road level,,, if the sun was shining from the right this would be in darkness

choppa

Choppa, your more that likely right mate, I didn't take much notice of the photo or my surroundings when I was there yesterday. it still dosn't surprise me if it's real.
cheers brad.

Mick-P
25-07-2007, 10:08 PM
I hate to be a doubter, but the picture looks photo shopped. The area around the right side of the guys pants (His left), look to have a distinctive edge where one photo is sitting on another. These edges are a clear give away of a dodgy photo.

ellicat
25-07-2007, 10:26 PM
I bucked the trend and instead of magnifying the image I reduced it to the smallest size possible in Photoshop. Then I looked at it with a magnifying glass. Surprisingly I found at that size he isn't even wearing a hat!!:o

Then I went with the trend and enlarged it and found there is a tab on his right shirt sleeve that seems to legitimize the photo.

It's a tough one.

danielbirch
26-07-2007, 08:38 AM
Thought i 'd throw my two cents in a mate of mine from my local tackle shop bit of a pro was telling me he has caught quite a few over the years in Morten Bay area apparently there were some floods years ago and a Barra fish farm went under so they are around. There have prob been a lot more caught and not identified properly by anglers.

NCHIPS
26-07-2007, 03:40 PM
looks very much like photoshop pro to me. but you never know

michaelddd
26-07-2007, 03:56 PM
I am a skipper in raby bay and there was a barra caught at the house next door a bit smaller than that one That is two weeks ago. It could be a pocket of warm water running down the coast. Climates are changing. There are still plenty of flying fish offshore which usually means warm water. The whales are very inconsistent compared to last year. So who knows but i think changes are coming. We have even caught at least ten red emperor this year and a coral trout east of point lookout.

crabbie
26-07-2007, 09:03 PM
Spoke to the guy that runs the Tackle Inn shop on Bribie today.The barra and photo are real . This is the guy that weighed the barra and photographed it at the VRM ramp . Apparently the barra had a gash in the side that was bleeding when he first saw it, possibly from a boat strike.Proberly why it was able to be caught in a landing net

tunaticer
26-07-2007, 09:26 PM
Thanks Crabbie,

Been waiting for somebody to vouch for authenticity.

I'm glad thats cleared up.

Jack.

Col_s
27-07-2007, 08:36 AM
Spoke to the guy that runs the Tackle Inn shop on Bribie today.The barra and photo are real . This is the guy that weighed the barra and photographed it at the VRM ramp . Apparently the barra had a gash in the side that was bleeding when he first saw it, possibly from a boat strike.Proberly why it was able to be caught in a landing net

I spoke with him last night myself and he told me the same thing except that the guy who scooped it up was in a hire boat.
The boat in the pic doesn't look like a hire boat to me.....not that it really matters.

Col

kingtin
27-07-2007, 08:46 AM
I spoke with him last night myself and he told me the same thing except that the guy who scooped it up was in a hire boat.
The boat in the pic doesn't look like a hire boat to me.....not that it really matters.

Col

I was wondering about the boat? looks like a fairly big donk and the anchor light suggests that he may have been out in the dark? Also, the shirt he's wearing isn't the kind of clothing that you see around hire boats.

kev

imported_chas
10-08-2007, 05:51 PM
RE that picture of the barra at Bribie, I don't know when it was taken but we have had light poles on that bridge for some years now......Where are they in the picture????????

choppa
10-08-2007, 08:10 PM
here we go again???????????

i questioned the same,,,, there is a pole above his right shoulder,,, and i'm still at a loss where the others have gone,,, perhaps the angle,,,sunlight who knows,,,,

the catch was confirmed,,,,, and weighed,,, thats it

theres a good article imported chas in freshwater reports under barra barra everywhere,,,, have a read through it,,,,

choppa