PDA

View Full Version : honda outboard jet motors????

choppa
19-07-2007, 06:56 PM
just a quick question,,,,,, has anyone here experienced/owned/or have one

they look like a million dollars and homework so far is all one sided with the majority of reports from the states

my reco on the tinny is at mind,,,, want something to be a headturner but still pratical,,,, and don't worry,,, they come in a size smaller than 35hp

choppa

Spaniard_King
19-07-2007, 07:05 PM
Hi Chop,

Don't think you will find one in Aus unless someone has imported it as Honda Aus does not bring them in. OMC used to have a jet unit but I think they dropped them before they went belly up and I havent herd anything of them since.

choppa
19-07-2007, 07:11 PM
giday garry,,,, i spoke to peter christian from honda this arvo,,,, he confirmed your response but according to honda's records over 100 have actually been imported in the past 3 years,,,, being a direct sale from the usa,,, australian records are scarce of information

i have the dilema,, that with the reco on the tinny i'm restricted to 75kg of the stern,,,, in reality,,,,, 60kg

25hp jet weighs in at 55kg,,,, manual steer/elec start

if i throw on a pod,,,,, mmmmmmmm,,,, we're playing with 2 ideas,,,, but which ever way we venture,,,, its gunna be a headturner

pratical,,,,, but definitely a headturner

choppa

snelly1971
19-07-2007, 09:06 PM
Fish farms down south here trialled them about 10 years back..they were Mariners 60 with the jet...They cant of been much good because we didnt hear much about them after that...

Cheers Mick

Fish Guts
19-07-2007, 09:23 PM
didnt mercury do a jet aswell ?

snelly1971
19-07-2007, 09:25 PM
Yep...pretty sure at the same time as Mariner did....

Cheers Mick

snelly1971
19-07-2007, 09:26 PM
PS most of the larger new boats here on the farms are all jet now...Cummins deisels with Hamilton jets...

Mick

Fish Guts
19-07-2007, 09:28 PM
snelly,

is the jet option primarily due to the shallow water and nets ?

snelly1971
19-07-2007, 09:34 PM
Nothing to do with Shallow water...it all to do with running over ropes...with boats...instead of having to lift an outboard 50 -100 times a bloody day...you just drive straight over them with the jets....But..and a big but....you have to be very careful with say 8mm or smaller rope...because if the jet intake picks a rope up then it is a pain in the arse getting them out....been there and done that many times ....and it aint no fun...

Cheers Mick

tunaticer
19-07-2007, 09:43 PM
Ive got a good mad keen mate in alaska and all boats there run jet outboards nobody runs a prop cuz the rivers are stony and shallow and they only get to go fishing in the meltwaters.

He runs a 90hp evinrude jet motor and that is equiv to putting it side by side a 60hp prop drive outboard.

That being said there are environments in aus that would be well suited to a jet drive outboard but for general fishing its just not practical.

Jack.

Fish Guts
19-07-2007, 09:45 PM
cheers,

yeah have spent many hours untangling ski ropes from jet skis, frustrating.

snelly1971
19-07-2007, 10:15 PM
Ski ropes..yeah...try pulling a whole coil ( 400) m of six mm rope out through the inspection hatch ..which your hand only just fits into....had many days with skinned knuckles and steam coming out my ears...

Cheers Mick

finga
20-07-2007, 09:44 AM
The jets restrict your maneuverability at low speeds as well don't they??

choppa
20-07-2007, 10:03 AM
i just got of the phone speaking to the guys at Golden Seal Marine in Mordialloc Vic,,, these guys ""use"" to sell these jets for most popular makes of outboards,,,

theres an interesting piece of info that comes out of the F&B magazine at this website

http://seamedia.com.au/pdf/previews/BTSENG41_prev.pdf

it also has a nifty idea for the anchor as well,,,

the good thing (that i didn't know) about these particular jets is they bolt directly to the leg of the outboard after you've dropped the box off,,, this allows you to then revert back to prop propulsion if required at any stage in the future,,,

fuel consumption,,,,, much the same as a jet ski,,,,,expensive,,,,,

low water clearance,,,,,,,,100mm

4000 rpm,,,, equals an absolute blast of fun,,,,,

i didn't even know these things existed,,,, its just giving us another option to weigh up in the reco on the tinny

choppa

snelly1971
20-07-2007, 11:41 AM
Yes Finga you are correct...you have to keep a few revs on them to steer...probably there worst down fall is that there is actually no neutral....with a bit of experience you are able to sort of hold them in one spot but it is very difficult..

Cheers Mick

cormorant
20-07-2007, 11:44 AM
two words- Very inneffecient.

Original Johnson jets were designed for the Millitary to satisfy a contract to get shallow running and Johnson did it as they had the only outboards that could be tuned to run on avgas (another millitary requirement then). There were 2 set ups one for low speed torque for moving around bailey bridges, barges etc etc and one for speed being used for shallow water planing insertion RIB's

It is very hard to make them effecient at varying speeds and loads as they require different impeller designs and therefore impose different torque requirements at different revs so there is no one motor , tune , impeller that suits all situations and in all but it's optimum it will be suseptable to burn out powerheads due to being under or overloaded. Might be a bit different with 4 strokes

A lot are sold in the States and Canada in everglades and lakes where either ice or weed is a problem. These motors still have water pump and intake problems so beware unless the motor is big enough to have overheat alarms if you are running them in mud or weed.

There use to be a small version in Australia for tenders so you could let the kids lose and not worry about them getting chopped up by a prop. It was a Victa lawnmower motor with a vertical shaft a bracket and a jet pump on the bottom. I've owned a couple and they are the lowest cheapest maintainance boat motor I've ever owned. Rebuilds - off to the mower shop!! Thanks Victa

You'll just have to take out a second mortgage for the fuel bill and they can cause grief with a tinny if not set at right depth.

Several aftermarket brands are much more effecient but I guess it depends on your usage and boat style.

Unless you have a specific purpose like running stoney glacial rivers like in New Zealand I wouldn't worry.

Blackened
20-07-2007, 12:50 PM
G'day

Choppa, I had seen them a few years ago at the brisbane boat show, some mob were selling these to a you say, bot on in replacement of the traditional prop gearcase.

Thinking outside of the box, how about a surface drive? Similar to the www.boghogmudmotors.com (http://www.boghogmudmotors.com)
These are used in the states, predominatly by the duck shooters I suppose.

Dave

tunaticer
20-07-2007, 01:58 PM
http://www.akmining.com/boat/jetproj1.htm

Different brand but same deal check out the speed vs consumptions tho....

Jack.

tunaticer
20-07-2007, 02:07 PM
http://www.honda-marine.com/modeldetail.aspx?modelGroup=bf35

Theres the honda brand jet outboards check the pic of where it is driving.

Jack.

cormorant
20-07-2007, 05:45 PM
G'day

Choppa, I had seen them a few years ago at the brisbane boat show, some mob were selling these to a you say, bot on in replacement of the traditional prop gearcase.

Thinking outside of the box, how about a surface drive? Similar to the www.boghogmudmotors.com (http://www.boghogmudmotors.com)
These are used in the states, predominatly by the duck shooters I suppose.

Dave

Love the idea - reminds me of southern vietnam vet goes to asia and gets and idea

Don't like the reversing options or the turning circle a whole lot though

I think Briggs and S are still doing a 4 stroke 5hp prop outboard that is aircooled but they are expensive.