PDA

View Full Version : Night fishing lights...

juju
19-07-2007, 04:44 PM
Thinking of setting up some night fishing lights ( i hear daytime lights are a waste of money)...i was looking at some docking spots...thinking of mounting them onto my rocket launcher....just for when your bringing in a fish so you can see waht youve caught...i use a headlamp now but would like a bit more.....anyone else have this style setup...feedback...good ...bad?..

polky
19-07-2007, 04:50 PM
JuJu I put 2/ 55 watt docking lights on rail under canopy, found they are way to bright and hot they also draw a fair bit of power. Iam trying to find 10/20watt marine brand lights cause its a good idear.

shayned
19-07-2007, 04:52 PM
Have a look at led's as an option.

19-07-2007, 04:52 PM
juju, i have been thinking the same thing, just a few things ive been told... if you mount them on your rocket launcher you will have big shadows when your standing at the bait bored.

Although fluro tubes or LED's are the way to go, with less drain on the batteries.. but i also interested to here other peoples ideas.. and from someone that might have then set up already..

tunaticer
19-07-2007, 05:08 PM
I have seen some LED ropes that are waterproof and can be bent around anything and hardwired to a switch. I wonder how they would be placed around the outside of the boat right up under the gunnel facing down. Be right out of the way and no more reaching for torches anymore.

Jack.

finga
19-07-2007, 05:41 PM
Good idea Jack but as soon as you do something above the gunnels it's as black as the ace of spades.
The only way to stop shadows is the have a light above or in front of your noggin'
How would a bent arm be that you can put in a spare spot in the rocket launcher and have some of the strip led's mounted on it with a plug on the end of the lead.
That way it could be pointed in any direction to suit (even over the baitboard) and could be taken out when the suns out to shine on everything
I put some LED's in the launcher bar once and the bloke thought they were great. Is that right Crestcutter??
Some ideas for cheap LED's here.
http://www.besthongkong.com/index.php

MEGA'bite
19-07-2007, 05:59 PM
juju try this site www.theledshop.au (http://www.theledshop.au) i have the fluro type led in my boat and the light it produces is more than enough.

Crestcutter
19-07-2007, 06:47 PM
Indeed you did Scotty. Top job and more than bright enough. I will dig out some pics of them .

rumy1
19-07-2007, 07:06 PM
I have a fluro light that is about 40cm long and has a long cord with a 12v plug on it. I just zip tie it to my rocket launcher and it lights up the back of the boat like daylight. The light extends out the back of the boat by about 10 feet so it is easy to see when the fish are getting to the surface. They are readily avaliable at any auto shop. My boat is 5.5m long and I don't suffer from shadows because of the light.
Every-one that has fished at night with me says how good it is !!!

dfox
19-07-2007, 07:35 PM
Rumy, do you find that the fluro interferes with your radio's? ive used them over the years, even modified ones with supressor's but found the interference ennoying...

Foxy4
19-07-2007, 07:45 PM
Have a look at led's as an option as Shayned has stated

I also have a porta power pack and 12volt fluro as well. It seems to work. But I am also looking for something else the same as you.

SunnyCoastMark
19-07-2007, 07:50 PM
JuJu,
I put my plug in Flouro's under the side coamings facing down and slightly out. (to the middle of the boat)
This throws light on to the deck - doesn't spook the fish as they are coming up to the boat.

Also it doesn't seem to spoil my night vision as much (because you are not looking into a light)

Hope that helps,

Mark

death_ship
19-07-2007, 09:24 PM
captain rednut has red led's on the underside of launcher on both sides of boat, soft light but still good for vision only thing was we got got attacked by some weird little birds!

Lovey80
19-07-2007, 09:47 PM
Red and Blue LED's are apparently less intesive on the Fishs' eye's and spooks them less. It was in and underwater LED thread a few months back. There was a link to a US company that sold them, theres a a company on the gold coast that sells them too(through hull version). Theyre suppose to attract all the baitfish at night too. So if you do go coloured LED on the rocket launcher there is a pro there.

P.S. RED light at night is far less intensive on our eyes as well but cant be seen nearly as far as White or Blue.

Cheers Chris

tunaticer
19-07-2007, 09:48 PM
My boat has a 2' flouro each sode of the cockpit facing inwards or down and i can rotate them in thier brackets upwards if i want the light facing that way for whatever reason. I think most of us have the inside of the boat sorted out with lighting.

I thought the question was for a light for outside of the boat for netting or gaffing fish rather than fumbling torches rods and nets with one set of hands??

Jack.

soapy
20-07-2007, 12:56 AM
Juju

I'm probably moving away from the topic??. I've used a standard waterproof fluro ($??) fitted with an inverter card ($50), so you have virtually a 240v fluoro which doesn't drain the battery and can be seen from the moon.

Cheers

Soapy:D

finga
20-07-2007, 07:46 AM
Juju

I'm probably moving away from the topic??. I've used a standard waterproof fluro ($??) fitted with an inverter card ($50), so you have virtually a 240v fluoro which doesn't drain the battery and can be seen from the moon.

Cheers

Soapy:D
Where can you get the inverter cards??

fish50
20-07-2007, 07:57 AM
I have a 5.8m Haines and had a fixed fluro on the back of the canopy, i found it too bright as every time you turned it off you were blind for 3 minutes, also every time you walked past you would smack your head on it, furthermore it was quite a pain to lower the canopy when hitting the road due to the wiring being thru the poles. I have recently bought a new light that plugs into the cigarette lighter. It has a 6m cord, is waterproof, seems very durable & solid and hooks onto the canopy or where ever else you are working, you can take it up the front to the anchor well, down around the trailer or motor etc etc. It also means i can take it camping or in the car. I was told that on duel batteries 75% charged it would last approx. 70hrs. The cost was between $70 of $80. This coupled with a good head lamp and you have it sorted.

Dunco
20-07-2007, 08:01 AM
I'm just in the process of researching all the LED options for my 4.6m(still being built). I haven't got a canopy to mount anything, so it will all be below gunnel hieght. I 've attached a couple of pictures with gear I'm installing. The Bow lights are $30 + $30 for white light bulbs from supercheap. The transom under water lights are a new model, but Aqualuma has said that they will be available in mid August and will be Approx. $800 for a pair. I'm now just finalising the inside LED strips or ropelight.

In relation to the question. I suppose it depens on where the fish is when you bring it to the boat. It could go off to the sides, out front. How do you cover all the bases.

I think someone should drill a heap of tiny holes and place LED's and silcon just below the gunnel outside. PIMP MY BOAT

juju
20-07-2007, 10:15 AM
My boat has a 2' flouro each sode of the cockpit facing inwards or down and i can rotate them in thier brackets upwards if i want the light facing that way for whatever reason. I think most of us have the inside of the boat sorted out with lighting.

I thought the question was for a light for outside of the boat for netting or gaffing fish rather than fumbling torches rods and nets with one set of hands??

Jack.
Yep that is what i ment...not a on all the time...but something just to flick on to make sure what your about to bring in you want in the boat

webby
20-07-2007, 10:20 AM
Tr this set up, they still allow good lighting in the cab, and nil glow on the water surrounding the boat.
It may look like a floating brothel at night but who cares.
regards

cormorant
20-07-2007, 01:10 PM
I use a couple of pond lights for a garden pond. They are 12 volt , oring sealed and the only thing I changed was to resolder tinned wire as i couldn';t work out if they already had that. Can put 10 20 or 50 watt 2 prong halogen bulbs. They burn up a battery pretty fast but we only have them on for very short periods with fish alongside and just use a 3rd battery. They also have options of coloured glass. No brand stamped on them but I think Nelson do similar pond / pool lights.

Getout
20-07-2007, 01:58 PM
Thinking of setting up some night fishing lights ( i hear daytime lights are a waste of money)...i was looking at some docking spots...thinking of mounting them onto my rocket launcher....just for when your bringing in a fish so you can see waht youve caught...i use a headlamp now but would like a bit more.....anyone else have this style setup...feedback...good ...bad?..

I agree. I usually rely on the sun during the daytime;D

GAD
20-07-2007, 09:13 PM
I bought a 60 led work light from supa-cheep and opened it up filled it full of sicaflex, 6m cord bright as day , got three led lights as floor lights and one on the bait board , but the work light is super bright and it just stays on , makes a good squid light as well.Best of all draws bugger all power.

Greg

mamu
20-07-2007, 10:17 PM
I have seen some LED ropes that are waterproof and can be bent around anything and hardwired to a switch. I wonder how they would be placed around the outside of the boat right up under the gunnel facing down. Be right out of the way and no more reaching for torches anymore.

Jack.
Thats what i have in my 4.5 side console and it works a treat.costs around 45 a l/m inc acc.
mamu

finga
21-07-2007, 07:40 AM
I have just ordered some 480mm strings of the blue and white waterproof string LED's if anybody wants to see what they're like.
They should be here late next week.
Also ordered some super bright 10mm LED's that can be mounted in the canopy or rocket launcher bars that have a 55 degree beam so they spread the light out pretty well.
I have a red one here in the waterproof string already but only 120mm long if anybody wants to try.
They're well sealed. I gave a white one to my brother ages ago to use for the squid. Hasn't gone bung yet hangin' in the water :)

moater
21-07-2007, 02:44 PM
Some lights....http://www.blueoceantackle.com/