PDA

View Full Version : Another wrappy doova

finga
19-07-2007, 02:12 PM
Gidday again,
I finally worked out how to use the macro gismo on the camera...kinda ::)
Here's a wrap I did on a gaff.
Lucky Phil gave me the idea for this one.
All you need is an old broken rod, some stainless rod, a lathe to turn down a collet to stop the rod from pulling out the end of the old broken rod, a tig to weld said collet on said rod to do said job, some glue, some thread and a bucket load of time that you could be doing something more worthwhile :-/
This wrap took 2 friggin days. I gotta use bigger thread I reckon ::)
Anyways here's bits of it.
The last picture is a bit of the wrap I did on the u-beaut nancy fancy rod I started at the RB M&G.
Cheers then
Scott :)

B_E_N
19-07-2007, 03:00 PM
looks good scott! be a dam fine looking gaff, what size thread you useing atm or did use for the gaff? maybe should have gone to speed thread

finga
19-07-2007, 04:37 PM
used 'A'...the next one I did was 'C' and a lot less time consumed I must say.
When the guck is dry I'll take a picture of the lastest wrappy thingo on my little knobbie knocker rod :)

Lucky_Phill
19-07-2007, 07:39 PM
you have been busy young Scott..........

The thunderbird wrappy thingo looks good.

I prefer the fish pattern wrap, as it doesn't look so busy.

I am about to finish the " M & G COMBO " rod.

I also reckon there is a market for " wrapped " gaffs..................

Phill

2DKnBJ
19-07-2007, 09:49 PM
Impressive looking wrap for the gaff Scott.
Now you will have to find some time to get out and use the new rod to catch a fish to try the gaff on.

Cheers Dazza

finga
20-07-2007, 08:05 AM
The gaff wrap looked pretty plain when I was starting it so I used metallics in gold and white for the fins. The blue and grey in the body washed out just like Ian's weave did but that's life.
The little crissy-crossy bands where in the metallic white as well (just to add some extra zing and to take the boredom out) and I really impressed when this colour is in the sun. Blues and whites come out to play. The bands are only 3 threads wide and made a hell of a difference to the overall appearance.

Yes Phil there probably is a market in fancy gaffs BUT....Oooh, the time :P
I gave this one away so I can make a better one for me ;D
Anybody got any big butted broken rods???
I have another name for the gaff but I can't put on here just encase she (who-ever that may be) sees that I call them after her....just because she has a big butt, a voice like an icepick and when she sets her mind on something there's no way in hell she's going to let it go ::)
About time you finished the rod Phil...when did you start it mate????:-/

Dazza maaate, the rod has been blooded already. I got me a 35cm cod and a baby flatty the other day. Not big blood but blood none the less :D
And really if I need the gaff for this nancy boy stick I'd be more worried about running out of 8lb line then getting the gaff. But we can hope we need think about the options available one-day ;D

I'll have some pictures of the next wrappo doova in a day or so.
Redbacks this time :)
Cheerio then
Scott :)

finga
20-07-2007, 08:08 AM
Ooh Phil, I was thinking about the 'busy' bit for the little rod but I only did 5 repeats on the pattern (about 120mm ) and picked colours that blended in with the rod so it doesn't look too busy at all. I'll do a picture of the butt and wrap.
Done the pictures..not too good but you get the idea :-[

Coastie
20-07-2007, 08:32 AM
Hi Finga,

Could you please post some photos of the gaff business end with the collett arrangement. I've got some graphite golf shafts that may be suitable for this and would like to see how it is done.
Thanks CC

finga
20-07-2007, 08:58 AM
Mate, the collet is on the inside.
All you can see is the 1/4" stainless rod coming out the end of the old rod.
i buonf the end to stop any splitting that may occur

roz
20-07-2007, 04:00 PM
good work Scott!!

I havn't done a thunder bird yet and yours is fantastic.

I know it's a pain but A thread gives a much better result with detail.

I did my gaff handle a couple of months back when I was up at Agnes, but I used a type of coloured string instead of thread, and did chevrons.

I didn't want a smooth finish but one that would provide a bit of grip, as it's the 'big bugga' gaff, which BTW was a home made one.

I was very lucky, the local butcher gave me one of his good strong meat hooks which was easy to adapt.

roz.

roz
20-07-2007, 04:03 PM
Hi Finga,

Could you please post some photos of the gaff business end with the collett arrangement. I've got some graphite golf shafts that may be suitable for this and would like to see how it is done.
Thanks CC

Thats a very good idea CC.

The local Op shop has some for next to nothing.

r.

finga
20-07-2007, 04:58 PM
Butcher hooks eh,
I think I have some of those down in the dungeon :)
Good idea for the next one :)

Lucky_Phill
20-07-2007, 06:07 PM
Scott, busy or not, it's all personal taste.

On my Bass rod the fish wrap looks bloody great, to me.......::)

The "PIZZA " wrap on the ' combo ' rod looks busy, but I reckon once it is trimmed up, guides on with minimal trim bands and epoxied, she'll be OK.

It is sort of like , the smaller the diameter the rod, the more threadwork you can have, but the larger diameter beasts needs less, if ya know what I mean ????? IMO.

Yes, I started the COMBO rod a while ago, but have just bought myself into leaving it as is and finish it off.8-)

Then again, if I had MY rod lathe here, I could finish it off in a day.......

Phill

finga
21-07-2007, 06:53 AM
Yep your right mate. One persons beauty is another person chucky chunder.
Some people actually like royal blue and fire engine red homes :P

And I hear ya about less is sometimes more theory.
There's some sockers on rodbuild forum and some of the nicest ones are simple to the eye and technically excellent.

Mate you know there's always a lathe here you can borrow anytime at all.

You've got to be kidding me about the pizza wrap. Cut the bugger off...please ::)
Anyways you can't leave it on....some of the colours will wash out and look crap when you finish it.

There's some beauty patterns on VisualWrap and why not try a weave on it??

sandyd
21-07-2007, 07:55 AM
Scott well done the wraps look great to me. If everyone keeps showing this kind of work I will have to leave the weaves alone long enough to try this out. But not for now to engrossed in the weaves and seeing the end results.

Keep up the good work

finga
21-07-2007, 08:04 AM
I know what you mean matey.
I know how to kinda do the wrap now i have to make the gismo's up to do the weave.
Today is the day for construction of the weavey dodad seeing all pending projects are just about done :)
Then I have another rod in the construction stage to do a weave on.

Coastie
21-07-2007, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the photo finga

roz
21-07-2007, 01:22 PM
Hey Sandy,

I would be happy to swap a cross wrap for a weave somewhere down the track.

r.

sandyd
21-07-2007, 06:57 PM
Roz your on.
I have just ordered a wonder weave 2 wheeler from the USA. I was convinced by three very talented weavers from the USA and Australia that if I am going to attempt a dragon with 7 colours it is a must as the combs will not cut it. And here I was thinking it was going to be a walk in the park.
Can't wait to get it and try it out.