PDA

View Full Version : New Lifejacket laws???

Eagle
18-07-2007, 10:52 PM
My cobber told me today that there were new laws for lifejackets. :o All lifejackets now had to have some "Code" displayed on them or they were no longer legal and acceptable. It seems that the cheaper jackets from BCF, Woolies and most marine stores etc. DO NOT comply with the new regs. These cheaper jackets are ,IMO, almost worse than usless. The "Adult" size is way too small for big blokes like me yet they are (were) legal.
He said that the new jackets were rather expensive and that the new regulations commenced about 6 weeks ago?
Does anyone have the correct info on this and does this apply to only Qld. or all States? I will also check this out at the horses mouth next time I am over at Roslyn Bay. :guardian: How much do the new jackets cost? A decent jacket for me and my 2ic. would cost around $80.00 or $90.00 each and I dont know if the same would meet with the new regs. So what's the score on these new rules?? :huh2:

Eagle

Marlin_Mike
19-07-2007, 05:27 AM
I havent heard that, but imagine he would be talking about having stamped/printed/tagged on them that they comply with theb relevant Australian Standard, and the manufacturers name on it and what type of PFD they were, a 1 2 or 3

Mike

seatime
19-07-2007, 07:03 AM
Hi Eagle, have a gander on the MSQ website, all pertinent info relating to recreational boating is on there, or call one of their regional centres if you want accurate info, sometimes the water police have a different interpretation.

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Home/Safety/Lifejackets_personal_flotation_devices

regards

buzzard
19-07-2007, 07:24 AM
The july edition of bush and beach has an artical on page 3 about lifejacket standards.You can also go maritime safety queensland web site. www.msq.qld.gov.au (http://www.msq.qld.gov.au)

buzzard

FNQCairns
19-07-2007, 07:33 AM
It is confusing Eagle, I walked in to buy a new quality life jacket last weekend, but walked out with with the cheapest I could find, consider once bitten twice shy.

If I am to be booked for a life jacket that in the end doesn't comply due to some magical deem of regulation that defies the laws of physics it will not be due to one I paid a lot of money for.
Hopeless situation not one I have had to deal with in the last 25 years, we certainly are sophisticated these days.

cheers fnq

tunaticer
19-07-2007, 11:04 AM
I was told by the VMR last monday that my lifejacket was no longer legal even though it is equivalent to the PFD1 just bought prior to that labelling and I would receive a fine for having that and not a registered one with a registered label.

Seems to me that WHS is typing up new laws every day to generate more expediture for everybody in almost every aspect of our lives. The silly thing is they want us to replace our good things with identical items that have been passes as being acceptable.

I wonder if condoms will soon have to meet WHS credntials to avoid shaggers back?

Jack.

Lovey80
19-07-2007, 11:23 AM
Can't confirm over the new regs. Has anyone see the inflatable bumbag style life jackets?? Are they anygood? Do they comply with the new Regs? I'm considering buying a couple At $120 a pop from whitworths I wouldn't want to have the same dillema.

Cheers Chris

Fish Guts
19-07-2007, 02:02 PM
chris,

i bought an inflatable one from bcf that sits over your neck, very lightweight and not too restricting. i think there awesome for night fishing and just gives you the peace of mind then pulling up the anchor in crappy weather. The Marlin ones from Bcf comply with the regs. $130.00

station-rat
28-07-2007, 06:15 PM
You can read all about it here http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Home/Safety/Lifejackets_personal_flotation_devices/

Markings on life jackets to comply with standards
Life jackets or PFDs that are manufactured to comply with the Australian standards require legible markings which include the following:

manufacturer's name, trade name or trademark
the words "PFD TYPE 1", "PFD TYPE 2" or "PFD TYPE 3" in block letters not less than 6 mm high, with the words below: "CAUTION: May not be suitable for all conditions" or for a child's PFD, the words "CHILD'S PFD TYPE 1" and a caution advising that a child wearing the PFD should be under competent supervision
manufacturer's model identification, batch identification and year of manufacture
intended body mass range
illustrated instructions for donning the PFD
instructions for storage and care
information related to replacement or checking of gas cylinders of inflatable PFDs.Purchasers can ensure their PFDs are compliant with the standards by having jackets bearing the SAI-Global "five ticks" symbol or the compliance marks of other certification bodies.
You should also check the condition of your PFD to ensure:

parts which are visible when the wearer is submerged (from the armholes up) are high visibility in colour
it is in good working order and elements such as stitching and colour have not deteriorated with age
webbing tapes and chords are at least 2.5 cm wide when wet and designed to resist roping and rolling when in use
stitching on the jacket is in lock stitch and not starting to unravel
Markings on life jackets to comply with standards
Life jackets or PFDs that are manufactured to comply with the Australian standards require legible markings which include the following:
manufacturer's name, trade name or trademark
the words "PFD TYPE 1", "PFD TYPE 2" or "PFD TYPE 3" in block letters not less than 6 mm high, with the words below: "CAUTION: May not be suitable for all conditions" or for a child's PFD, the words "CHILD'S PFD TYPE 1" and a caution advising that a child wearing the PFD should be under competent supervision
manufacturer's model identification, batch identification and year of manufacture
intended body mass range
illustrated instructions for donning the PFD
instructions for storage and care
information related to replacement or checking of gas cylinders of inflatable PFDs.Purchasers can ensure their PFDs are compliant with the standards by having jackets bearing the SAI-Global "five ticks" symbol or the compliance marks of other certification bodies.
You should also check the condition of your PFD to ensure:

parts which are visible when the wearer is submerged (from the armholes up) are high visibility in colour
it is in good working order and elements such as stitching and colour have not deteriorated with age
webbing tapes and chords are at least 2.5 cm wide when wet and designed to resist roping and rolling when in use
stitching on the jacket is in lock stitch and not starting to unravel
fittings are free from burrs and sharp edges. Press studs are not a compliant method for fastening a buoyancy aid.http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/resources/image/4686b830d556b147/early_pfd_marking.gifLife jackets with a Standards Australia mark (pictured right) must also carry the label "PFD1".
If there is no PFD type label, the jackets do no comply with current Australian standards.

If you are carrying inflatable life jackets be sure to comply with manufacturers' instructions for servicing and maintenance, including replacement of expired gas cylinders. Keep a record of each servicing. A safety equipment log is a good way to do this. Some international PFDs are now also accepted as alternatives to the Australian standards.
fittings are free from burrs and sharp edges. Press studs are not a compliant method for fastening a buoyancy aid.
http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/resources/image/4686b820d556b0d2/PFD-bordered(ed).gif

Cheers
Station-rat8-)