PDA

View Full Version : Buying a bigger boat help please

nomad420
18-07-2007, 07:49 PM
:-/
I currently have a 4.2 mtr Stacer nomad, good boat for estary and inshore work. However I want something bigger but not sure how to go. I have $30k max
My quandry is..
Buy New 16 ft with new motor (2 stroke) I like the idea of new regarding that theres no worries about any hidden surprises that may spring up after purchase.
Would 16 ft be ok to go say 15 - 20 offshore around Hervey Bay/Bundaberg region
Buy second hand ohh sorry "Pre Loved";) .
This would give me a larger boat i.e. 18ft but no security regarding the reliability or previous TLC it may or may not have received.
I've been looking at a Southwind sr 565 with 130 hp saltwater yammie 2003 model.

also Haines Hunter 530c with 2 stroke 115 Johnno about 7 years and 300 hours.
Im not to worried about fuel economy but an worried about what sort of hours the johnno should have for that age and if there would be any probs asociated with this model

Lots to ponder any help to get me in the right direction would be appreciated

fishing111
18-07-2007, 08:12 PM
unfortunately 30 grand does not go far in the new market, i'd be looking at 2nd hand rigs for sure. Just have to wait for the right one of course. Good luck with your purchase, new or pre- loved.

joeT
18-07-2007, 08:23 PM
My personal preference is for new, just for peace of mind that its been run in correctly, looked after etc. But I'm fairly pedantic with my boats.

Just keep in mind that a new boat may come in at under $30k, but you'll inevitably spend more when you have to fit out things like sounders, gps, bait tanks, safety gear, etc. which will often come with a used boat.

Chimo
19-07-2007, 09:07 AM
Hi Nomad

The 115 V4 OMC (Johno or Evinrude) is a good sort of motor with a few issues that are fairly well understood and so reasonably easily identified and fixed.

From my own limited experience I seem to have ended up with this style V4 motor on an number of boats over a lot of years. ie as a 90 Evinrude for 9 yrs and two 115s for 10 years

If you watch impellers and fuel filters the other surprises may be
the spring on one side of the fuel pump diaphram can let go, happened on both 115s within 10hrs of each other. Was hard to sort out the first time but took ten minutes the second time. This presents by the motor stopping after running at med revs or above for a few minutes and then after being off starts and runs fine at low revs but with more revs same thing. Cheap and easy to fix.

They can also have an over heat issue that does no damage just is annoying with horns going off. Impeller replacement makes no difference as we found after a lot of looking.

Its an issue with the seating of the thermostat. Each side of the V4 needs to have the thermostat located in the seat to the same depth. If the seat hole (a rubber "grommet" type thing) is a bit smaller on one side the thermostat sits a bit further out and therefore has more spring pressure on it so most cooling water flow goes to the other side of the V and the small hole side gets hotter.

Only happened to me at higher revs and when we worked it out it was easy to fix by enlarging grommet hole and as an extra I shortened the springs by locking two spring coils together to reduce pressure on the thermostats. Very cheap and easy.

In conclusion may I suggest that whatever motor you settle on won't really matter as it will probably have its own set of idiosincracys / foibles etc (SP) so if you have a Marine Tech you trust and are going to have service what you buy all should be well. I guess thats why I'm sticking to the Evinrude as I'm happy with the service I'm getting.

Second hand is not a bad way to buy as on Aluminiunm you can see the corrosion thats going to happen plus you usually get many of the extras you will have to buy and on FRP as long as the transom has not rotted (when the motors up for transport / towing) swing on it and check for movement. If there is movement leave it. Also check that the bungs have been left out when the boats not in use so as to allow the underfloor to dry and reduce the risk of rot.

For all boat types have a real good look at the trailer. You want lots of support, plenty of rollers makes it easy to launch and retrieve. Also make sure that if it should have brakes, it does and that they work.

Good luck and have fun looking

Cheers
Chimo

BM
19-07-2007, 09:17 AM
Nomad,

You will get much more 'bang for ya buck" if you buy secondhand. There are plenty of low usage excellent condition boats on the market.

Organise an inspection on a boat you want to buy and provided the inspection guy knows his stuff you should get a complete rundown on the boat and there should be no surprises.

My customers get a 5 page report which details all the major items and right down to the little things like a lop sided display in a fishfinder or a missing segment from the display on the 27 Meg etc etc I check trailer lights and bearings also. That way I can give a complete report and apart from the buy/dont buy side of things the buyer knows exactly whats not up to my standard and what its likely to cost to rectify those issues. This is the point where negotiations start with the owner on such issues and I find the owners negotiate very well since its a third party inspecting their boat so the comments are accurate and not stacked one way.

Every now and again someone will ask me to find things wrong with the boat in order to get the price down. I tell them that the boat is how I find it and I won't make things up. Needless to say there is always something that needs fixing in any case.

That Haines 530 you mentioned, thats low hours for a QLD boat. Thats much more like VIC hours. Down here many fishos (not the offshore guys) would use their boats about 25-50hrs per year. So chances are the Haines might be worthwhile.

Feel free to pm me or better still post pics and info on here of boats that you are interested in and we can give our collective advice (and probably confuse the crap out of you!;D ;D )

Cheers

dnej
19-07-2007, 09:19 AM
Stay away from Johnson.Back in that era, is when they had all their problems,and I was personally involved in one of those.
Second hand boats are everywhere,but you just have to wait for the right one.You would need almost double your budget for a new one,as has been posted.
A Yamaha, would be the way to go.Long hour well maintained,can sometimes be better than low hours,hardly used.Compression testing is the way to go.
Are you wanting glass,or aluminium?
David

BM
19-07-2007, 09:36 AM
If its a carby Johnno from that period then its no problem at all.

Noelm
19-07-2007, 09:45 AM
yep, I reckon the "stay away from Johnsons" was a bit of a wide sweeping statement unless you are looking at a few certain model V6 Fichts, they are OK.

timddo
19-07-2007, 09:53 AM
for $30 000 you can get a formosa 520 supercab for around $29000.
It's aluminium and looks good. I'm opposed to buying secondhand as you get all the strings attached. You never know what the owner did with the boat and motor. I've recently orderd a 545 Tabs. Cost around $36,000 Plus a few more grand for extra's. But a boat is different to a car. If the motors decides to go on sick leave, you can't just get off and walk home.

If you can afford it buy new. i think the 5.5 meter rang is a good.

The downside of new boats is you gotta wait for ages to get them built.( unless dealer has it in stock).

tunaticer
19-07-2007, 10:15 AM
Another way you can get good peace of mind is to look at good hulls with either ageing or motors that have done heaps of hours. Often you can buy a very good hull that has a motor with a zillion hours or even a seized motor due to whatever reason. Replace the motor with a new motor of your choice and get the trade in value of your old motor.

Hulls can be in very good condition many many years after manufacture and the motors seem to have shorter lifespans.

15 yrs ago i bought a stacer 17'6 searay that was ex coastguard from noosa. The motor had done lots of hours and corrosion has started on it. Did the trade in on a new suzuki and came out witht he whole package for 11k. That boat and motor are still in really good nick today as a friend bought it and treasures it as i did.

Jack.

Brumby
19-07-2007, 10:43 AM
Nomad, I would support what the others have said, you get a whole lot more boat for your buck with used. I have bought 3 in the last three years, each time trading up a bit to get closer to what I realised I would need. Yes I have had to spend a bit on 2 of them, but honestly, I bought them knowing all wasn't perfect and paid accordingly- don't be afraid to negotiate hard.

Its a while since I bought new and honestly I'm not sure that the new warranty is worth much more than a warm feeling, unless a problem is very clearcut, you can have an awful amount of drama and heartache getting a dealer/manufacturer to see things your way - just read through the posts here for examples. Anyway, 6months down the line your new pride n joy is used as well.

Good luck anyway - oh and get it checked out by a pro beforehand, not foolproof but does cut down on the surprises.

Cheers

Carl

1975fflh
19-07-2007, 11:04 AM
Gidday mate

I upgraded my old tinnie about 18 months ago to a 1989 RumRunner with a 90 horse 1998 Johnno on it, payed 9 grand, got the mech to give it a full service nearly $300.00 and it needed after that wa sthe bloody regulator, which turned out to be a loose connection. but other wise I love my boat and motor no dramas we go offshore and in the lakes use it to tow the kids and fish greast little alrounder.

The new rumrunners are about 30 grand I think but should be able to pick up a Ubueat boat for that money, make sure you do a compression test, a tester is about $30 at Supercheap and places like that and take a multimeter about $12 same places and check the charging system.

Sh-ts me I had one with me when i bought the boat and didnt check the system.

but all solved now and alls good

krazyfisher
19-07-2007, 04:05 PM
look at new if you can that way you should have no problems for 2 yrs or more and mostly if you chase prices you will sell it in 2yrs for what you paid I have done this 3 time now

polky
19-07-2007, 05:07 PM
Nomad 420 Matey had same problem,After heaps of research decided new with waranty is the way to go. I purchased a new signature 493f with 70suzie around 30,000. added Garmin coloured sounder,and plotter few other items, ended up spending 35,000. I fish out of Tannum Sands 10/15 knt winds 1.2m swell and this boat chews it up not a problem. I go up to 60nm off shore and feel quite safe weather permitting. Matey for 2 people to fish out of they are a real gem, I dealt with Springwood Marine, If your ever up this way in near future drop me a thread and weather being good I,d take you out for the day and see what you think. Were only 2.5hrs away.

dunmears
19-07-2007, 06:01 PM
nomad 420- I've just bought a Yalta 535 with a 115 Yammy 2st. - vhf radio, bilge pump, compass, bunks, insulated ice boxs, rear lounge, bait board, bimini , clears, gps, sounder, trailer- all ready to go , brand new for $30,000. From Marine Tune Burleigh Heads.

honda900
19-07-2007, 06:38 PM
nomad420,

Dunmears is right, the yalta 535 with a yammy 4stroke 115 is 32k, you can do a better deal if you go the 2- should be able to get the package for 30k or so.

http://www.marinetune.com/new-boats/new-boats_detail.asp?ID=198

I went down the same path 12 monthd ago, the decision second hand or new, you only have to look around at the way some blokes treat their boats, you dont want to be stuck out there in a bad situation with boat problems, least if its new you know that its been looked after.

Regards
Honda.

BM
19-07-2007, 07:54 PM
Nomad,

Sure, new is nice, shiney, never owned before and spanking new............

It might just be me (and I am happy if thats the case) but you walk out the door with your new boat and you have lost THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS IMMEDIATELY...... Are you comfortable with that???????:-X

Yes, but its new, and shiney, and never owned before........... But you have just thrown money into the BIN..... You wont EVER see it again. Add to that INTEREST payments if you have been err, ummm, errr, well I won't say, but if you have actually FINANCED the boat................... Oh dear...... Instant DEPRECIATION AND INTEREST on a loan........... So the boat you bought which 5 minutes later is worth thousands less, is still going to cost you thousands more than you paid because you put it on finance........ :'( :'( :'( :'(

In my opinion (and mine only) money doesn't grow and trees and I will be buggered if I will buy something expensive NEW just so I can feel warm and fuzzy that I have something brand new, never owned before, maybe better than my neighbours boat, or maybe keeping up with the Jones's.... I'm sorry, but for me, logic prevales and any "ego boost" is not worth the THOUSANDS lost as you depart the showroom with you wonderful!!, brand new!, spanking shiney!, $5000 or MORE dollars LESS VALUABLE boat.............

Secondhand, assessed by a competent boat inspector and perhaps 2 yrs old and $10,000 cheaper than the new price I find personally MUCH more appealing.

No doubt there will be objections to this post and thats fine. If you are cashed up enough to buy a new boat outright then thats your business and your deal and a lot of whats here is irrelevant. But those that are buying new boats and financing them really need to have a close look at themselves and their decision making abilities.

Right...... standing by for the flames..........

honda900
19-07-2007, 08:43 PM
BM,

no flames, I think the firery's get enough of a work out on some of these posts, everyone has an opinion to share. I just remember when I was looking to upgrade I found it hard to purchase a second hand boat in good condition without the price tag of a new boat, unfortunately they are holding their value pretty well, but in saying that the Yalta's are economically a good buy for the $$.

Regards
Honda

nomad420
19-07-2007, 10:12 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied to my post.
I now have permission from the missus to consider the fact that maybe we could investigate the off chance of her considering the option of maybe looking at thinking about buying a pre loved boat.
LOL
seriously guys and gals thanks I will go used. The missus chose the Southwind over the Haines because it "Looked Nicer" I would have chosen the Haines untill I read about the positive info on the Yammie compared to what was said about the Johnno Not wanting to start an online biffo between Yammie and merc boys I think Ill go with the missus (Heaven Forbid) because of that

Jackinthebox
20-07-2007, 11:04 AM
"I now have permission from the missus to consider the fact that maybe we could investigate the off chance of her considering the option of maybe looking at thinking about buying a pre loved boat."

Ha Ha, That's classic female speak there Nomad! :-)

Chimo
20-07-2007, 11:22 AM
Hey Nomad as you now have permission from the missus to consider the fact that maybe you could investigate the off chance of her considering the option of maybe looking at thinking about buying a pre loved boat don't leave Seafarer off the list as they are one of the boats out there that keeps its value very well. No doubt she who we all defer to would be of a mind to minimize the depreciation and maximize resale if and when you go into the next bigger boat.

Chimo