PDA

View Full Version : where do you go?

ashh
18-07-2007, 04:07 PM
starter motor has sh!t itself and motor is due for a service(still starts with pullcord).
But having never dealt with any marine mechs yet, so dont know what to expect.
Recommend me a place to go even if its an old dude that works for himself but knows his stuff, or someone/ somewhere that specializes in Mercury engines. (on the goldcoast) :)

ashh
18-07-2007, 04:09 PM
oh, and what sort of $$ for a basic service? if there is such a thing :-X

Spaniard_King
18-07-2007, 05:20 PM
Ash, The guys at QLD outboard wreckers are boffins on Mercs and I beleive you would probably be chasing them sooner or later for a starter anyway.. Kev and Greg will sort you out:D Davo crt Burleigh and open sat mornins

finga
18-07-2007, 05:26 PM
What sort of merc.??
I have a couple of starters here.
Chances are the main components of the starter is still OK and just needs a set of brushes/bearings put in or more then likely the solenoid is cactus.
:)

ashh
18-07-2007, 06:29 PM
What sort of merc.??
I have a couple of starters here.
Chances are the main components of the starter is still OK and just needs a set of brushes/bearings put in or more then likely the solenoid is cactus.

thanks finga, not sure whats wrong with it yet. Its on a 1999 Mercury 25hp.
I can here a 'click' sound when I turn the key, but yeah nothing else happens, hopefully its something not too expensive. Had the boat on the river today and was working fine, come home and go to flush the engine and 'click'........I can start via the pullcord tho.

Spaniard_King
18-07-2007, 06:38 PM
ash check ya battery connections before ya do anything

ashh
18-07-2007, 06:52 PM
yeah reds connected to pos and black to neg, solid connection with battery terminals and both crimp fittings look good.
plenty juice in battery, lights sounder and bilge and bait tank pumps all run.

finga
19-07-2007, 06:02 AM
Mate have you got a multi-meter of any description??
I could do some check points for you to test to see what's the problem with the starter setup.

onerabbit
19-07-2007, 05:00 PM
Sounds like the solenoid is shot.

Muzz

ashh
19-07-2007, 05:09 PM
Mate have you got a multi-meter of any description??
I could do some check points for you to test to see what's the problem with the starter setup.

yep, I do have a multimeter. :)

I spoke to a mechanic today and he said from the description I gave him it sounds like a faulty solenoid,

onerabbit
21-07-2007, 03:53 PM
Seems to be a common problem with Mercs,

mine spat a solenoid under 12 months from brand new, & the second one is starting to play up now.

Muzz

finga
21-07-2007, 06:42 PM
yep, I do have a multimeter. :)

I spoke to a mechanic today and he said from the description I gave him it sounds like a faulty solenoid,
Right-ti-o then
First check the voltage across the battery terminals. Now it's important to be on the actual terminals and not on any lug, clamp or anything else. Record voltage. It should be around the 13.8V or close by
Leave the multi-meter on the battery terminals and then hit the starter and note the voltage. It should change much at all.
If the voltage goes down to under 10V then I'd say the battery is cactus. Get it checked.
If the battery's Okky dokky then on to the next stage.
Leave the negative lead of the multi-meter on the negative terminal of the battery (important) and place the positive lead of the multi-meter on the line (or always powered up) side of the solenoid. Hit the solenoid and record the voltage. If the voltage is below 10V then there's a problem between the positive battery terminal and the line side of the solenoid.
If the voltage reading is good move the positive lead of the multi meter to the load side of the solenoid and try the starter again.
This is where you will probably see if a big difference in the voltage reading at the battery.
If there is the solenoids crook. If not place the positive lead of the multi-meter on the positive terminal of the starter and try the starter yet again.
If the voltage is still good and starter isn't going good then place the negative lead of the multi-meter on a good earth where the starter motor gets it's earth from and try the starter yet again.
If the voltage across these two points (ie starter-motor positive lead and the earthing point of the starter) is very near battery terminal voltage then the chances are the starter is crook.
If the voltage goes down lots then there's a bad earth connection somewhere and this spot can be found simply by leaving the positive lead of the multi-meter on the positive terminal of the battery and checking the voltage at each point the negative has a join from the battery terminal to the starter whilst trying the starter.
I hope this makes sense??
I hope this may let you find the problem.
If any questions bung them up and they'll get answered by someone I bet :)

ashh
21-07-2007, 09:49 PM
cheers mate Ill have a poke around and see what I come up with ;)

ashh
22-07-2007, 02:41 PM
okly dokly

-battery tested with hydrometer, all cells tested as just inside the 'good condition' reading.
-voltage across the battery terminals: 10.6V (turned key and voltage remained the same.)
-voltage across neg batt & 'power to' side of solenoid & turn key: 10.7V
-voltage across neg batt & load side of solenoid & turn key: 10.7V
-voltage across neg batt & pos on starter & turn key: 10.6V
-voltage across positive starter and starter earth & turn key: 10.6V

From what you've explained, and if I have done the testing correctly, it looks like to me that the starter itself maybe stuffed, not the solenoid? :-/
The battery also looks like it may be on its last legs, not sure how old it is, but when the starter was working it did have plenty of grunt when cranking the motor over.

finga
22-07-2007, 04:06 PM
I'd be trying another battery first. That one sounds buggered. :(

FNQCairns
22-07-2007, 04:29 PM
Yes second that just goes to show if it is in fact the battery how it pays to start at the simplest checks and work up!

cheers fnq

Kleyny
22-07-2007, 04:40 PM
As finga has said try another battery IMO anyhting under 11.5 is not enough charge to run high draw things (like a starter). But 10 or even 9 will run low draw things like light and small bilge pumps.

Steel the one out of car and see how she goes.

neil

ashh
22-07-2007, 05:30 PM
As finga has said try another battery IMO anyhting under 11.5 is not enough charge to run high draw things (like a starter). But 10 or even 9 will run low draw things like light and small bilge pumps.

Steel the one out of car and see how she goes.

neil

yep tried that, still same click sound. Hopefully Ill get it in to the mechanics this week sometime and we'll see whats up.

finga
23-07-2007, 06:42 AM
Do all the tests again with the known good battery and see what happens.

ashh
09-08-2007, 06:41 PM
thanks for your help finga, much appreciated.
FYI Just got the boat back from the mechanics and the problem with the starter motor ended up being the brushes.
One of the brushes had worn way completely, right down to the spring with no carbon left whatsoever and was earthing out.
Had full top and bottom service done and they even straightened out and tidied up the props nics and dents.
Also had a few more RPM unleashed as the controls werent pushing the throttle all the way to WOT.
Thanks again mate. :D

oh and the battery tested at 12.2 volt..... probably dropped my multimeter too many times