PDA

View Full Version : Ally Tailers (Take two)

megafish71
18-07-2007, 11:17 AM
Further to my previous thread on ally tailers (thanks for the advise guys) I thought I would take a few pics of my mates trailer built by Cairns Custom Craft. This trailer is rated to 4400kg so it is a bit heavier than I need, the other difference is that I intend on using torsion bar suspension not leaf springs. Also note that the trailer is basically bolted together.

Cheers Ron

Alchemy
18-07-2007, 06:01 PM
Hi Ron,

That's a really solid looking trailer there. Will be interested to hear what you decide on and at what cost.

Regards,
Dave.

Luke G
18-07-2007, 09:10 PM
What sort of boat? any more pics of the hull?

megafish71
23-07-2007, 07:31 AM
Sorry for the late reply guys, been out of town for a few days. Dave so far the cost for the trailer is close to $9k including all the brakes and 2 car controllers and a misc budget of $500 for odds and ends that I may have forgotten. Luke, the boat in the pics is a 8mtr Haines Horizon, I will see if I have any other pics for you.

Cheers Ron

Kerry
23-07-2007, 09:54 AM
....This trailer is rated to 4400kg

This 4400kg is actually as stated on the plate then?

Based on the photo's that coupling only appears to be for a 2" ball, is that correct?

If so the maximum capacity of a 2" coupling is 3500kg.

Also if it is 4400kg then the safety chains must be 9.5mm grade T short link chain with a breaking load of 11.6 tonnes. The chains fitted to that trailer (if it is rated at 4400kg) is not anywhere near legal requirements. The chains must also be fitted with pin-lock couplings, not shackles.

Regards, Kerry.

megafish71
25-07-2007, 07:50 AM
Kerry, this trailer is rated to 4400kg, it has a 75mm coupling not 50mm as for the chains I cant shed any light on that.

Ron

Kerry
25-07-2007, 01:29 PM
75mm Ok, bit difficult to properly determine from the pic.

The chains? Don't look like short link chain to me as well as not heavy enough and they also appear to be bolted ????

Kerry
25-07-2007, 01:34 PM
Ron,

Yeah that's a better close up shot of the plate, couldn't see it in the first pics.

Based on that plate the ATM of the trailer is 4000kg, which is the making allowable towing weight. The ATM also includes the tow ball weight, which would make the GTM around 3700kg or there abouts?

The 4400kg might be the axle group loading but is not the max towing capacity of the trailer.

Regards, Kerry.

Col_s
25-07-2007, 03:05 PM
Hi Ron,
Having a look at an alloy trailer Saturday week in view of being able to supply them with our boats. It's an all welded construction made in Victoria, so I'll check them out & let you know what they are like.
Hey Dave ...how's NQ treating you ??

Cheers Col

Alchemy
25-07-2007, 08:10 PM
Hi Ron,
Having a look at an alloy trailer Saturday week in view of being able to supply them with our boats. It's an all welded construction made in Victoria, so I'll check them out & let you know what they are like.
Hey Dave ...how's NQ treating you ??

Cheers Col

Hi Col,

Pretty good actually, though I haven't found the fish yet! I'll give you a call next week.

Regards,
Dave.

Luke G
25-07-2007, 09:36 PM
540Kg's isnt bad for such a big trailer. Can I only see 2 axles? what breakaway system did you go with?

Cheers

megafish71
26-07-2007, 07:05 AM
Hi Ron,

Cheers Col

That would be great Col, are those the trailers from Lite Industries? Have already spoken to them, there trailers looked pretty good in the pics sent to me but would like to see them first hand before shelling out hard earned dollars on one. Your opinion on these would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Ron

megafish71
26-07-2007, 07:09 AM
540Kg's isnt bad for such a big trailer. Can I only see 2 axles? what breakaway system did you go with?

Cheers

That trailer has the Titan Actibrake brake control system with SS Alko calipers and discs.

Cheers Ron