PDA

View Full Version : Max HP Rating vs Actual Motor Size

Woody01
17-07-2007, 11:13 AM
My boat says at the back that the Max HP for the boat should be 140. The boat has a 150 on it. Could this void my insurance?
I would have thought a 150 would be fine on a 5.8m ally?

Any comments?

cheers,

Woody.

baitable
17-07-2007, 11:23 AM
i know with my previous boat, the manufacturer could malke a special allowance and knock up a compliance plate... try ally and see if they will do this for ya... As for legality, if you have an accident, i'm sure the insurance company will try everyting to get outta a claim so i guess this COULD void your insurance

seabug
17-07-2007, 12:13 PM
My boat says at the back that the Max HP for the boat should be 140. The boat has a 150 on it. Could this void my insurance?
I would have thought a 150 would be fine on a 5.8m ally?

Any comments?

cheers,

Woody.

If they thought it would take 150hp then surely they would have put it on the plate.
There has to be a limit. If it was 150hp ,would someone then want to go to 175hp
Would you void your insurance. I think so.

Regards
seabug

bay_firey
17-07-2007, 12:38 PM
Insurance may also be the least of you probblems if the worst was to happen and you were involved in an incident. There could also be alsorts of legal issues to contend with.

Be a bit like being in a prang in an unroadworthy car - you could be in for a whole world of hurt legally

Woody01
17-07-2007, 12:52 PM
I've just got off the phone with the Manufacturer who told me that a 150 is fine. He said you could easily put a 175 and even a 200 on it.
I asked him why it was stamped for a maximum of 140 and he said that they understamp them to cover themselves.
He then said to bring in the boat and they would restamp it to 150, as that is what they now stamp my size boat anyway.
Go figure!?:o :o

Seahorse
17-07-2007, 06:38 PM
they must have a standard. u think that one cannot just change the plate. must be legalities there somewhere. think i would be checking it out further. who is the manufacturer

greg

Woody01
18-07-2007, 12:08 PM
Greg,

Genesis is the manufacturer.

cheers,

Woody.

wessel
18-07-2007, 01:54 PM
any structural engineer could do the calculations for you in under 5 minutes.

That same guy can do the calcs to get the mnufacturer off the hook in court also if ever it should end up there. Think about it for a second, they rate it for a 140, and they give you a 3 three year structural warrranty on the boat. In theory, that transom will never break in three years.

For the life of me, why would you want to take a person to court for that???

Wessel

aussiebasser
18-07-2007, 02:09 PM
Your insurance is most definately affected, voided in fact. You are also at risk of being booked if checked by the Water Police. As someone said, you could be open to a whole world of hurt. Get the plate changed by the manufacturer.

FNQCairns
18-07-2007, 02:21 PM
There is a calculation of sorts, not hard to find on the net USCG deals with it amongst others, the actual rating seen on boats bears no resemblence to what the hull will handle in 90% of cases. Much more to do with static load on some though. Marketing and massive rear end (human) covering is the holy grail of the engine size stamped on the transom.

If I owned an unroadworthy car because the number plate light was not working yet the new tyre blow and caused a fatality in no way would I be held responsible in court for the blown tailight as a cause of the accident. Same with boat engines, if the extra HP or weight (if that applies) does not expressly cause the incident, very, very rare for the engine HP (remeber HP is at the end of throttle travel) to cause any incident.

cheers fnq

Ron173
18-07-2007, 03:27 PM
I'd be gettin it restamped PDQ!

then dont mention it to insurance, if its stamped your fine, reckon you would be in strife if you didnt get restamped and had an accident though

Ron

wessel
18-07-2007, 04:07 PM
Sorry Ron, I am with FNQ on this one. (And I am careful when it comes to that guy.....)

So what if it was a 150 Hp motor on a 140 Hp label when you were under the influence and drove up the beach and spoiled another mans picnic and killed his dog sleeping under the tree?? Insurance will not pay for criminal acts i.e. when under the influence you stand on your own. The Hp rating has not bearing on the issue

So now the label states it is rated for a 140 Hp motor, but while towing it on a trailer with a 150 Hp motor fitted and the transom broke. Will insurance not pay out because you over rated the transom? Out of interest, are we talking a 140 Hp two stroke or four stroke here???? You may be well aware of the weight difference between those two?

Sorry, just playing devils advocate here, nothing personal

Wessel