PDA

View Full Version : Why don't fish bite during a westerly?

mini696
16-07-2007, 01:31 PM
As the title says... Why don't fish bite during a westerly?

We have had conditions with a constant westerly part to it for a month (SW, SSW, W etc) and the fishing is getting worse every day. Yes we get the odd good catch, but not the bait, bites, or numbers of fish.

I went out yesterday, and travelled to my usual spot for mullet, but there wasn't even a ripple anywhere, not one, nada, stuff all.

Noelm
16-07-2007, 01:36 PM
that is a load of rubbish, I have said this heaps of times, it is not windy under the water, I have had some great times in Westerlies, just becuase you missed out once, does not make it so, if you are in a river or something, they may be in another spot if it is being churned up by the wind, but they still eat on windy days!

crazy charlie
16-07-2007, 01:46 PM
Would have to agree with Noel on this one,

Although theres guidlines, I reckon theres no rules when it come to fishing, u make your own luck,

Dont now about ya delivery though Big Noel, bit ruff there mate :o

mini696
16-07-2007, 02:06 PM
Its just looking back in my diary the days with a westerly have always been worse than others, it doesn't even have to be windy. This weekend had great weather, but there wasn't any action in the rivers. Deeper down along the harbour there was fish, unfortuantly only the small ones were hungry. But another thing which totally suprised me was the total lack of bait action on the surface of the small inlets.

I realise that it isn't windy underwater, but there has to be an effect. Either the bait on the surface being pushed furthur out to sea, the temp difference between land and sea having a different effect due to the direction of the wind. Something, unless I have had poor luck by chance (which I highly doubt), my stats book doesn't lie.

kingtin
16-07-2007, 03:25 PM
Try this thread mate, A similar question to yours and those (me that is) ;Dwho reckon that there's always an exception to the rule. An Easterly on the West Coast is generally considered to have the same effects as a Westerly on the East coast. I've had some of my best catches breaking the rule.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=112251&highlight=wind

kev

Top Tip:

Fatties. Take a tip from smokers and stop your cravings for chips by Sellotaping a crisp to the top of your arm each morning.

Lovey80
16-07-2007, 03:41 PM
You crack me up Kev!!!. I'm with Noelm they're still in the water and still have to eat. Maybe you should try throwing out your usuall tactics when fishing in a westerly. When you do get a good catch in a westerly, wether by angling tactic or location change then find out what it is you have done differently and use that in a westerly.

Cheers Chris

rockfisho
16-07-2007, 04:02 PM
we often catch good fish off the beach during westerlies. But there generally has to be abit of swell around for them to seek cover in otherwise they seem to go off the bite.

rockfisho

mini696
16-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Actually one of my theories is the westerly means the inshore areas (which is where I fish) are calmer than usual, therefore they aren't as 'churned up' which in turn stops the fish being so agressive.

bushbeachboy
16-07-2007, 04:35 PM
No worries up here in NQ mate, although we don't seem to get many westerlies (or maybe my sense of direction is directionless).

Noelm, take it easy bloke. It was really just a question.;D

warrior1
16-07-2007, 04:46 PM
hi mini,maybe cause the westerly wind makes the water so clear it might make the bait more visible to the predators so they stay in the deeper water.

kingtin
16-07-2007, 05:01 PM
Actually one of my theories is the westerly means the inshore areas (which is where I fish) are calmer than usual, therefore they aren't as 'churned up' which in turn stops the fish being so agressive.

I can only apply my knowledge of an easterly European wind on a westerly shore in relation to this thread. I really haven't enough years in Ozzy fishing to have come to any conclusions but I think past knowledge may apply here.

What I found in relation to this, over more than 30 yrs of beach and boat fishing is that onshore winds tend to stir the immediate coastline. In severe onshore winds that create above average surf, marine molluscs, worms etc are dislodged. These are the "times of plenty" for fish. They will literally gorge themselves and practically take anything that is offered that vaguely resembles the fauna of that area.

There were times in the UK with severe onshore winds when worms were washed up in their thousands onto the beach. At these times anything other than a worm would not initiate a hit. Similarly, on a beach that contained cockles, that would be the "master bait" (IOW you were a w*nker if you tried with anything else) ;D

OTOH, you would expect that with all the freely available exposed food, that your bait would stand little chance of being hit, but this was not the case.......the fish were literally gorging and fishos would have a beano.

The Westerlies were often followed by easterlies and this was the misconception (IMHO) that arose. The supposition was that the winds were to blame when in fact, it was because the fish were gorged and could afford to shut down until the next onshore stirred the beach. They simply conserved their energy 'cause their "biorythms" told them that food was not readily available and that they could get it easier later, when the winds changed.

The exceptions to the rule happens when those favourable winds don't come, so neither does their food (easily). They get to a stage whereby they just have to eat, so they venture out in search of food, in conditions that normally you wouldn't catch them in. This exception is when there is prolonged westerlies or easterlies, depending on which coast you're on. The fish have been "shut down" for so long that they feed ravenously, as was the case in the article that I posted. I'm not big noting here but I just knew when I could make catches like that and it was when most fishos would stay in there beds because, "It's an easterly and if the fish ain't coming out to play, neither am I"

Many aboriginal cultures around the world feed during a glut and have a genetic ability to "lay up" until such time as hunting is favourable again. They can go without food a lot longer than western cultures. If conditions are abnormal and (seasons etc) are late, those cultures are forced to venture out at some considerable risk and hunt in unfavourable conditions. So it is with fish..........or so I believe, and that is why there are exceptional catches to be had when "experience" has taught us otherwise. Our experience is of "average" conditions.............prolonged conditions break the rule.

Just my take on it.

kev

Top Tips:

Weight watchers. After reaching your ideal weight, maintain it by weighing yourself before and after a dump. The weight difference is the amount of food you can eat before having another dump.

Poodroo
16-07-2007, 05:17 PM
Well I have been catching fish in these winds and the R2M results were fair considering the conditions in the bay were rough to say the least. Had to work harder to catch the fish but they were there.
Kev what's with the words of wisdom on the weighty people? Lol Love the idea of taping the chip to the arm. Gold. :P

Poodroo

kingtin
16-07-2007, 05:35 PM
Kev what's with the words of wisdom on the weighty people? Lol Love the idea of taping the chip to the arm. Gold. :P

Poodroo

Just a bit of fun mate. I was gonna start putting the quotes up again but it's been heavy enough on the site lately so I hope this'll bring a smile to some faces.

kev

Top Tip:

Supermarkets. Help promote healthy living by putting your cakes, ice creams, pies etc. in aisles that are too narrow for fatties to fit through

shayned
16-07-2007, 05:50 PM
Reckon Kevvy's right, in the end it all comes down conserving energy, having a feed, getting a bit of the other and trying not to come out on the wrong end of a fight(getting eaten). Just need to work out how the westerlies, northerlies ect affect these factors and adjust your tactics to suit. Failing that just keep having a bash until you get lucky and save the spot to use in similar conditions. Thats my 2 cents worth and I'm leaving now. Well soon at least.

By the way, after having read a number of similar threads on here and Knowing how passionate Noel is on the subject, I'd suggest he was remarkably restrained. Mind you I don't think I'd like to be the next person to start the same sort of thread next time it mightent be so pretty.:o :)

Alternatively, Noel, how about showing the nonbelievers by doing a trip on the next lot of westerlies with a nuetral observer in tow and put up a trip report showing how to do it. That should save you having to explain again. Hope this helps.8-) ;)

shayned
16-07-2007, 06:20 PM
And I think a special mention needs to go out to Kev on his use of the word "beano". A perfectly good word, that has gone unused since somewhere around 1943, except in a small English village located on the Cornwall Coast where it is still in use today. Of course this small village has only just recieved the gift of electricty and at least four of the residents are still convinced Germany won WWII and won't leave their homes in case the dreaded Hun capture them.::)

You're on a roll Kev, keep 'em coming.:D

kingtin
16-07-2007, 06:30 PM
And I think a special mention needs to go out to Kev on his use of the word "beano". A perfectly good word, that has gone unused since somewhere around 1943, except in a small English village located on the Cornwall Coast where it is still in use today. Of course this small village has only just recieved the gift of electricty and at least four of the residents are still convinced Germany won WWII and won't leave their homes in case the dreaded Hun capture them.::)

You're on a roll Kev, keep 'em coming.:D

Nice one Shayne. LOL ;D

Notice my home town is mentioned and it was a commonly used word meaning you were having fun gaining something. eg if someone had a good win at the bookies (TAB) they would say they had a "beano"

The Oxford English Dictionary's definition of a beano is "a merry time or spree". The word beano is derived from beanfeast, an annual celebration which included a meal of beans and bacon. It all started in the 18th century when landowners provided an annual feast for their farm labourers and families. The celebrations, with much cider drinking and dancing, lasted all day. The centrepiece was a hearty meal of beans and bacon. Apart from Sundays, it was the only paid holiday that the labourers had, so it was the highlight of their year and became known as a beanfeast.
Later, the mill and factory owners of northern England adopted the same benevolent streak! This time they sent their workers on a day trip to the seaside. The bosses rented trains or convoys of charabancs (an early open-top motor coach) to take the whole workforce to resorts such as Blackpool, Skegness, and Scarborough. Enormous quantities of beer and sandwiches were also provided, and there was much frolicking, singing and drunkenness. The bosses discovered that paying for a day at the seaside for their workers, away from the dust and noise of the factory, was a worthwhile investment. It gave their workers something to look forward to and some fresh air for their lungs. It was a big event in the workers' lives. This was probably the only holiday they were likely to get, so it is only natural that they looked forward to the works' outing, or beano as it became known.

kev

Top Tips:

Save on booze by drinking cold tea instead of whiskey. The following morning you can create the effects of hangover by drinking a thimble full of dish washing liquid and banging your head repeatedly on the wall.

shaman
16-07-2007, 06:34 PM
I'm with mini. I'm not sure why westerlies suck but they do especially when chasing lizards. I reckon the bottom gets stirred up and they can't see the bait, Duh.............. Of course it's gunna make a difference to different species. I've had some amazing catches holed up in the lee of a westerly when all around me nothing is happening & I've had heaps of comments from guys fishing with me... It's just common sense.....................

Kev, to conquer childhood obesity we should encourage schoolyard bullying. That way the fat kids would get heaps slung at them and the bullies would steal their lunches then they would really lose some weight. The bullies would be like apprentice personal trainers..... Simple really...........

snelly1971
16-07-2007, 10:01 PM
Westerlies up there...well down the bottom here it is those stinking SE that send the fish off the bite....

Cheers Mick

rumy1
16-07-2007, 10:24 PM
I talked to an evironmental person who loves his fishing about this very subject and he had an answer for me. He said that the barometric pressure caused by westernly winds bloats up the fishes buoyacy air bag they have in them and makes them feel full and have no desire to eat.
Could be pulling my leg but sounds like a good theory !!!

snelly1971
16-07-2007, 10:34 PM
Thats interesting...Generally down the south here..westerlies send the fish on to the bite....I suppose thats why they are still there...

Cheers Mick

onerabbit
16-07-2007, 10:41 PM
I reckon it has less to do with the direction the wind is coming from, more to do with the reason it's moving.

I think it has more to do with barometric pressure, (which also causes wind)
rising or high barometric pressure seems to put the fish on the bite, where falling or very low barometric pressure seems to put the fish down,

where ever you live, there will be a prevailing wind that puts the fish down.

Just my opinion,

Muzz

mangomick
16-07-2007, 11:06 PM
I dont think anyone said they dont bite ,they just dont bite as well. I'm talking reef fish here.I even have pros and ex pros telling me that if theres a north wester blowing up here, they are wasting their time going out.
I went out in the North wester a few weeks ago and got 6 fish. It was interesting to see a live trout boat coming in as I was going out. The few days before in the south wester though everyone was killing the pig on fish and not from all the same spots. All the chatter from the boats that were out all said the same thing. bugger all around.
During the Boyne Tannum hook-up there was fish caught during the south westerlies but the day after the event finished and the weather changed to south eaterlies the fishing absolutely went balistic
One theory I heard years ago is the pressure on their swim bladder caused by the low pressure puts pressure on their stomach so they dont feel as hungry.
Who knows but the fact is the pros make a living from fishing so if they say they dont bite as readily as they do in say a south easterly then I'd have to sit back and listen. I've certainly found it to be true:-*

Noelm
17-07-2007, 08:07 AM
geees, it seems that the way I have written seems to be a tad "turse" I have re read my first reply and sort of agree, it DOES look like I am sh!tty or something, sorry for that, it seemed OK when I was typing it, but when read it reads a little 'short"

Noelm
17-07-2007, 08:08 AM
just got off the phone to my mate in Caloundra, and he has been getting really good Snapper in very close for the last week or so, have you guys had a westerly recently??

mini696
17-07-2007, 08:32 AM
geees, it seems that the way I have written seems to be a tad "turse" I have re read my first reply and sort of agree, it DOES look like I am sh!tty or something, sorry for that, it seemed OK when I was typing it, but when read it reads a little 'short"I get like that at times.

I must point out that I did do a search before asking this question too (I realise what it can do to forumites, its just one of those questions). I came up with very little though.

Thanks for the replys everyone, I too have heard about the pressure having something to do with it (its very rare for a high pressure system to cause westerlies on its own, depends on where it sits though). At the moment with the high in the middle of Australia and the lows travelling along the bottom coast I reckon the fish will be off the chew due to the low pressure.

And its not looking like getting better, the next two weekends are looking harsh (I am predicting 15 knots plus), with the weekend after this one being even worse......

.... Maybe in three weeks.

Its very weird weather, Its the first time in years that I can remember Gladstone getting a 'proper' winter. The high in the middle of Aus is normal, but the lows dont seem to be.

kingtin
17-07-2007, 08:39 AM
geees, it seems that the way I have written seems to be a tad "turse" I have re read my first reply and sort of agree, it DOES look like I am sh!tty or something, sorry for that, it seemed OK when I was typing it, but when read it reads a little 'short"

Male menopause? I've been going through it for the last 30 yrs or so ;D

kev

Top Tips:

BOIL an egg to perfection without costly egg timers by popping the egg into boiling water and driving away from your home at exactly 60 mph. After 3 miles, phone your wife and tell her to take the egg out the pan.

geoff72
17-07-2007, 09:54 AM
Caught my pb flathead 63cm and another going 58cm and a nice tailor on a very very windy westerly night,also plenty of bust offs to,to me westerlies,god bless them,hehehe

ozbee
18-07-2007, 09:33 AM
maybe they all get cold and move north like all the nomads on the highway.

bunks
19-07-2007, 06:22 AM
my pa had a saying........
when the wind blows NORTH the fish come FORTH,
when the wind blows EAST the fish bite the LEAST,
when the wind blows SOUTH it blows the bait into the fishes MOUTH,
and when the wind blows WEST the fish bite the BEST....

billsy
19-07-2007, 08:00 AM
i have been keeping a log for the past 10 yrs and have found that most fish in the local river go off the bite when the barometer drops. this usually precedes a westerly or southerly change . i dont know how air pressure affects the water but the stats tell me to stay home when the arse falls out of the barometer