PDA

View Full Version : No Oil alert

Woody01
16-07-2007, 11:54 AM
Hi all,

I used my new boat for only the second time yesterday (it was a year old when I bought it). When I started the motor (Evinrude 150 DI) it sounded an audible alert and the NO OIL light came on. I turned it off and checked the oil tank (which I'd checked full the night before) and it was fine. I gave the primer a few good squeezes, started up again and the light and audible alarm were still there. I was just about to shut it down again when the alarm stopped and the light went out. All was fine after this.
Has that ever happened to anyone else? Is it normal? Could it have been an air bubble in the line, or maybe the line was blocked and squeezing the primer cleared it? The boat had only sat in my driveway for a week since I used it last, so it shouldn't have blocked up in that short time.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

cheers,

Woody :) :) :)

Noelm
16-07-2007, 12:31 PM
a couple of things could be at fault, there could be some water in the oil tank, in which case it needs to be cleaned, the sensor is dodgey (most likely) then it needs to be tested and/or replaced, there was some sort of oil line "air bubble" and priming it fixed it, the oil pump is dodgey, it needs to be tested and/or replaced.

manchild
16-07-2007, 06:59 PM
Take it to your nearest evinrude dealer with a workshop.You most likely to find that its due to software glich which can be easyly fixed by an easy upgrade .Shows you how well cared for the motor is isnt it.This upgrade was out a year ago.
cheers
George
and yes its a typical but easy fix problem with the rude DI

BM
16-07-2007, 07:45 PM
Woody, how long has it been between uses???

Do yourself a favour in any case and dump a bit of 2 stroke oil in your fuel tank (to give you say 75:1, or even 50:1, with whatever fuel is in there) and take it for a run or 3. :)

If you have had any bleedback to the oil tank from the VRO whilst unused then the no oil alarm would likely light and sound. May require a new primer bulb on the oil line. Could you pump the bulb? or was it tight?

Prior to taking it in, run a few tanks (with oil) and see what occurs with the warning system. The engine is safe as there is oil in the fuel so don't fret!! At least you will know if it was a 1 off or if there is actually a problem with your VRO.

Cheers