PDA

View Full Version : How do you record the size of your catch?

Tackle Rat
15-07-2007, 10:20 PM
Fellow Fishos,
I was wondering what your preferred method of recording the size of your catch?
Do you use Kilos, Grams or Pounds for weight?
Do you use Cm, Meters or Inches for length?
I use for example:
Snapper = Kg
Flathead = Cm
Whiting = Grams
Gummy Shark = Meters & Kg
Trout = Pound
Please let me know what you do.
Regards
Tackle Rat

Lovey80
15-07-2007, 10:41 PM
Wether in weight or length i only ever use metric. Wish all of the lines were given in KG instead of pounds too. If only the whole world woke up to metric it would make life easier on everyone

Cheers Chris

flyfisho
15-07-2007, 10:42 PM
length in most cases, and weight by a guess
cm's and kg's

minno
15-07-2007, 10:50 PM
Thanks for your Question. Kgs, for the weight and most things in the grams range are live bait or in the lure box. But the metric system for me. I keep a pencil and notebook with a tape-measure in the tool box in cm,s and metre,s.

minno

snelly1971
15-07-2007, 11:11 PM
Weight and Length in Metric for Me....and then i write it all down in my little Lie Book..

Cheers Mick

tunaticer
15-07-2007, 11:18 PM
Generally all fish in mm because i work in mm not cm and usually i will give an estimation in pounds or a real weight in kg.s after they are weighed.
However if the fish isnt boated or released beside the boat without measuring its generally estimated in feet roughly.

Being old school my estimations were developed in old school ways but when i do the correct measurements in length and weight they are always in metric.

Jack.

snelly1971
15-07-2007, 11:20 PM
Gee yours way sounds too complicated Jack....You would spend half the day weighing and sizing your fish....LOL...

Cheers Mick

Davemclean
16-07-2007, 02:20 AM
I use pounds and ounces, cos it os the done thing, here in the uk, even though we are meant to use metric, lol, but on here, I notice a lot of people use metric so do quick conversions, like 25 grams to an ounce, or 2.2 pounds in a kilo, that sort of thing

aussiefool
16-07-2007, 03:55 AM
metric for me as well and usally done by guessament unless I want to know for sure the exact weight and lenght, but it's normally close to the gessament

finga
16-07-2007, 06:10 AM
Weigh in kg's then file it in the memory for future use/bragging.

Funny thing though. After it's filed the weight gets a bit hazy and seems to grow exponentially as the years go by. Na just kidding about the porky pies ;D

Recording is done by picture so it can be hung either on the rod of fame or the rod of shame down at Evans ;D
I've only one picture on the rod of fame :-[

Marlin_Mike
16-07-2007, 06:49 AM
Length in cm's or mm's for me. Weigh in lbs cause 13lb sounds ALOT BIGGER than 6 and a bit kilos LOL :)

castlemaine
16-07-2007, 06:58 AM
Wonder if anyone has a length vs weight (per species) chart? It would be great when someone says that they caught a 73cm snapper and you could estimate it's weight. I know it won't be perfect but an estimate surely would be possible???
I measure my catch in metric, but buy line in imperial. :-/
Cheers

cdg81
16-07-2007, 07:55 PM
small, good one, big f@#ker,

Horse
16-07-2007, 09:00 PM
Tailor are in lbs but everything else is metric either length or weight

crazy charlie
17-07-2007, 02:11 PM
Ive found portable scales fairly unreliable, and I like to clean my catch as soon as so

I usually have a tape measure, measure the sucker and take the pics, doesnt really matter whether u measure in imperial or metric the fish is still the same size ;D

Sean
17-07-2007, 09:37 PM
I measure only in meters.......don't need a smaller sizing than that.

you should have seen the 1.5 meter bream I got the other day!!!

finga
18-07-2007, 09:33 AM
I measure only in meters.......don't need a smaller sizing than that.

you should have seen the 1.5 meter bream I got the other day!!!
I bet it had a bad case of shrinkage when you put it on the ice though :'(
;D

Scott nthQld
20-07-2007, 11:05 AM
I measure in cm guess weight in pounds but once fillets are taken I use kg, especially after a trip to the reef, that way the missus can't argue about the costs, I simply say "well go and see how much coral trout you can buy for the money I spent on fuel/bait etc", it usually shuts her up pretty quick (on a good day)