PDA

View Full Version : Livebaiting with Game reel off wharf?

bradizle
14-07-2007, 09:55 PM
hey guys, I would like to know how to tie a paternoster rig, also i have a
Daiwa capricorn 4500j reel with 30 pound braid which packs 9kg drag just wondering what could i use this for? i was thinking of jigging with it , what rod would you go for somewhere around the $100 mark , something to jig with, just pass the heads on the reefy areas and also inside the harbour. Is it possible to livebait with a shimano tyrnos 30 and a rollered tip boat rod off a wharf? How would i get the livebait out? is there a method for it?

jake_snapper_king
14-07-2007, 09:58 PM
hay if there is open ocean maybe a ballooon or current line ? livebaiting u can realy use any real over head yes more balls when u need to get the fish of the reef dont go under gunned. jigging i dont know much about hope i have helped

imnotoriginal
15-07-2007, 04:05 PM
The shark fellas often use a little boat to tow their baits out to a channel/hole/whatever. You can try ballooning, I can't really help you much with that one though, I've never really done it successfully. When I was desperate to get a little bit of distance from the jetty when using an overhead I'd just peel off as much line as I needed and cast like a handline, but i'm not sure how healthy your livie would be after that... You can always use a deadbait and let it float along with the current, maybe a small sinker to keep him rolling along the bottom. It's a good setup if you wanna have some fun with some stingrays or shovelnose rays and you can get better fish as well.
Joel

mattooty
15-07-2007, 04:40 PM
Usually ur livebaits will swim out on their own accord.
All the lbg guys down here (nsw) just drop the baits at your feet and have enough pressure behind them to make them swim.
9 times out of 10 they'll go straight out and if they're being particularly bad behaved and u have a full livey pool, send another one out.
Matt

Pistol_P
15-07-2007, 08:29 PM
Usually ur livebaits will swim out on their own accord.
All the lbg guys down here (nsw) just drop the baits at your feet and have enough pressure behind them to make them swim.
9 times out of 10 they'll go straight out and if they're being particularly bad behaved and u have a full livey pool, send another one out.
Matt

Yakkas can be difficult to send out Matt on those flat days with no wash.
They hug the rocks in close and its very difficult to get a drift.
Slimies and Gar are great as they swim out well.

Pete

gleeeza
18-07-2007, 08:52 PM
Hey mate hints and tips at the top of the page has animated knots and if you want to look at googling a knot you won't go wrong either.

However I came across this dropper developed by a Kiwi longliner and the figures he is quoting for this knot are way better than the standard Paternosta. Worth a look.( http://www.fishingkites.co.nz/fishingknots/plat_fishing_knots.html ) Easy to tie and it pulls up cleaner on the main line with no chaffing or burning. Sounds like you have the right equipment so good luck with the live baiting.

Cheers Gleeeza