PDA

View Full Version : Tanned Barra Skin for Reel Seat.

sandyd
14-07-2007, 06:05 PM
Some of you may have read that Own caught a really good Barra the other night. Well it has been skinned now and I suggested that we freeze this and get the stuff to tan the skin.

I saw a picture on another website where they used what I think was snake skin in the decoration of the rod, see attached. I would like to do a similar thing but with the barra skin.

Has anyone ever tried this before?

Bearclaw
15-07-2007, 07:13 AM
Sandy,
Get Owen to order the back issue of rodcrafter from the guild it has the article on how to do the reelseats. I will find the issue for you and let you know.

Owen
15-07-2007, 11:56 AM
Thanks Myles, that'd be great.

I don't know if she'll be so keen once the smell of tanning chemicals etc starts wafting up from the garage ;D
Been years since I've done it and never done a fish, so I don't know how it'll go.
There's a mob in WA that does it commercially. http://www.mermaidleather.com/
I emailed them and asked for some hints, but not surprisingly they don't want to give up any commercial secrets.
I love the look of it, but at the end of the day it may be cheaper and easier to buy a skin than to go out and buy a tanning kit again. Of course I threw all my tanning stuff out when I sold my rifles coz "I'll never use that again".
Gives a certain satisfaction when you do it yourself though.

sandyd
16-07-2007, 06:17 AM
Thanks for that Myles would appricate it.
Do you buy your copies from Aussie or USA, someone gave me a contact here in Aussie and would you believe it I went through my emails on the week end and deleted what I thought was rubbish.