PDA

View Full Version : over voltage

blaze
14-07-2007, 03:55 PM
Hi All
good day on the water BUT I have an over voltage problem, notice my gps kept shutting down, stopped to check the wiring and it turned straight on. Oh well, off we go again and crusin at 5500 rpm and noticed the gps had shut down again, turned it back on and happened to look at the volt gauge and we are making 16v at, upto 5000rpm then she creeps up more to the point of shutting gps down. Kept the revs under 5000 for the day and no more gps problems but still have over volt problem. I think I am up for a regulator.
cheers
blaze

Dan5
14-07-2007, 04:08 PM
Yep same thing happened to me a couple of year's ago i got it up to about 17.5 volt's and everything freaked out but i still didn't blow a 1 amp fuse on the gps! Dan..

finga
14-07-2007, 04:16 PM
Sounds like the go young fella :)
'Can I have 1 regulator please with that order of spark plugs please' :)
Sorry :-/

blaze
14-07-2007, 04:27 PM
Hi Scott
only just put the bloody plugs in a few hours ago
SO NO
cheers
blaze

Chimo
14-07-2007, 05:20 PM
Blaze

Sounds like you might benefit from a "house" battery for al the non motor stuff inc GPS etc and and auto battery coupler (ABC) to disconnect the house battery from the motor in both hi and low voltage situations. The ABC protects very well and also stops spikes when you start your motor.

It's a small, light unit and I've had one protecting my Lowrance etc since they replaced one when I lost pixcels and said I would not get a second unit as it was a known fault, ie house battery required for electonics, "Don't run off same battery as motor", they said.

Cheers
Chimo

Ron173
14-07-2007, 05:56 PM
Sounds like regulator/rectifier to me.

Ron

captain rednut
14-07-2007, 06:37 PM
i agree rect/ reg arent they a pain?

Steve B
14-07-2007, 09:01 PM
I have had unit troubles with two eagle units....I wonder if its something to do with power surges etc with motor/starting/charging. My Opti has a 60amp charger inbuilt. I had a BEP voltage relay installed which charges the cranking battery first (to 13.7v I believe) then switches the charging to my 24v battery bank (alternating between each battery 1 min at a time)

Main Question, I run all my electrics (including sounders) from my cranking battery. Sound like a voltage regulator would benefit??? how much and where do I get one???? Will that protect warranty on sounders etc considering what chimo says in his post??

Any input would be greatly appreciated, when it comes to electric stuff I'm not real BRIGHT:P That was a sad pun!

cheers steve

big moose
15-07-2007, 11:20 AM
Blaze, agree with everyone else new reg reqd Steve B you would be better off installing a step down transformer off your 24v house batteries to run your electronics the power would be much more stable that way
cheers gary

Chimo
15-07-2007, 01:08 PM
Not to hijack the thread...............
Steve, from my understanding the task of the BEP and similar is to ensure the batteries are charged.

The ABC referred to earlier actually disconects the house battery (that powers the sounder, gps etc ) from the motor battery as you start the motor and does not reconnect to it until spikes etc are no longer an issue.

There may well be a regulator / rectifier issue on the motor at the heart of this thread but even after thats fixed it my understanding that the electrics are still at some risk from spikes as the motor starts. Hope this is of some use to you.

Cheers
Chimo