PDA

View Full Version : Okuma issues

Lucky_Phill
14-07-2007, 11:55 AM
I was given a reel to try ' before I buy ' about 18 months ago. It is a Okuma Coronado and is a baitrunner type and at the top end of the line class scale.

I loaded it with 25lb mono and proceeded to use it of floatlining snapper etc.

The reel actually caught 2 x Cobia, 1 x 22kg and \1 x 24kg. But not in " baitrunner mode '.

After a short time the rear drag ( baitrunner ) siezed and the rubber cap would pull off. Further, the ' baitrunner engage ' Lever stopped moving.

I eventually pulled the reel apart and found to my disgust, rust, and plenty of it. Now I DO wash my reels down after use etc.

There is a pic below outlining the rust areas. It was mainly in the rear drag, thread going into the drag adjustment knob, washers, springs etc. Even the ' sealed " bearing at the front of the reel for the main spool rod, is rusty.

The problem with the lever baitrunner thingo is that it is made out of Plastic, as opposed to Shimanos metal ( metal composite ), and also had only one screw to retain said lever, whereas Shimanos have 2. The lever made from plastic allows movement/ twist and therefore does not hold 100% firm. Pic below.

I am not about to bag Okuma as having read many reports here, they seem to be a great reel, but maybe it was just this model, maybe it is a ' freshwater ' reel only.

I will say the reel came directly from the States and at the time could not be bought here.

One another note, the reel is heavy, as opposed to heavy duty, but again, it did the job on those xos Cobes so I shouldn't complain too loudly !!!

Overall, I feel this reel would have been taken back to the seller had it been bought here on OZ. It would have cost in the range of $200 AUS. And I have found comparable reels at $300.

I still haven't completely fixed the reel, as there is still ' rust ' marks on washer plates and keepers. The reel will be continued to be used, but as a spinning reel only. Me thinks a 6500 shimano will be taking it's place very soon.

Cheers phill

Dan5
14-07-2007, 01:42 PM
I own an Okuma 10wt large arbor "salt water"fly reel.The reel was replaced after 3 week's of saltwater use due to bad corrosion,i also looked after this reel fresh water rinse,inox etc.The replacement reel i put away for freshwater use on toga's at corroboree and alike.The protective coating or paint job on the reel is c##p.I also was given the reel to test as a cheaper altenative for a large arbor reel.I was also given an okuma baitcaster rod to try it's a epix carbon mesh tx-561 cah 6-8kg and that has been exellent very nice to use indeed and i've got a good range of loomis baitcaster's so i recognise a nice rod when i use one.So i won't bash okuma either as they do have some really good product's and some not so really good product's.Cheer's Dan........

Mitchie180
14-07-2007, 04:40 PM
So far i have had absolutely 0 problems with my okuma stuff... my Avenger works a treat after about 3 years and has caught many fish and i recently bought an epix and is possibley the best reel i have had/used it has 6.2:1 ratio and just works like a dream.. dissapointing to hear a few other products of theres struggling but i still put a very high redarded name against them and highly recommend them:-[ ;)

nigelr
15-07-2007, 07:23 AM
From what I have seen, the baitrunner style threadline is a very complex piece of equipment.
If I may be excused for stating the obvious, salt water accessing the internals of any reel will cause problems, the more complex the reel the greater the problems, especially if the components are lacking in suitable corrosion resistance.
Think I'd go the Shimano product also, users on this site seem very happy with them, the extra $ would be money well spent IMO.
Cheers and good luck with the reel.

mattooty
15-07-2007, 04:51 PM
The corrosion issue is a very common one with okuma epix's and the baitrunners, but in saying that, i have seen owners of 5 year old epix's that are still running em hard.
They are a quality reel before they see any rust but, like i said,they are very prone to rust and even after a rinse down they still seem to contract rustivitus.
Matt

Seahorse
15-07-2007, 07:18 PM
i bought couple okuma baitrunners from n/side marine few months ago and got a lifetime warranty.

craig51063
15-07-2007, 07:55 PM
yeah i own a aveger 80 which i use on the beach and for outside fishing and i love it . i fish hard with it and it handles anything fom whiting to big jewies and sharks .i have had this reel for 4 years now and it has never let me down . tell a lie i had to replace the line roller bearing about 6 months after i bought it . [ it seized ]. i have read some good and bad reports on okuma reels but the avengers are exellent. i supose if all the okume reels were built and designed like the avengers there would not be a problem .

lie loud enough and for long enough and eventually the masses will believe you.

SeaSaw
15-07-2007, 09:27 PM
Phil, I have had similar problems with rust in a Titus reel. It was useless after only 2 years. Have had Shimanos for 10 years that are still going.

Mark

Lucky_Phill
16-07-2007, 07:16 PM
I had an interesting chat with a ' person in the know' this arvo about this problem.

He tells me the Coronado is at the bottom of the ' quality ' range in the Okumas, but no-the-less comes with a lifetime warranty. he reckons if okuma ever upheld this warranty, they'd go broke.

There are some good Okumas out there no doubt.

He also told about the better class / quality reels in that the more bearings they have the better they are, BUT, the more supseptable to corrosion issues they are as they have more bearings to rust/ seize. a bit of a canumdrum. ( spelling )

he was extolling the virtues of the Phfluger.. oh spelling again, couldn't be bothered looking it up and in particular the medalist and the ' big one " ambassodor ? ">

Anyway, it has been suggested to me to have a squizz at the Penn Liveliners. So, it'll come down to a couple of options for the next ' offshore ' big baitrunner:-

Penn,
Shimano
other..... suggestions.

I want a quality reel with smooth rear drag to front drag transition, sealed bearings, hold 25lb mono and large drag washers.

Phill

tunaticer
16-07-2007, 07:41 PM
I believe Van Staal offer a lifetime warrantee for thier reels and looking at the prices of top line daiwas and shimanos they are now competitive.

Jack.

sleepygreg
17-07-2007, 12:39 AM
Guys,
Please keep in mind "ya get what ya pay for". Okuma have always been targetted at the market to undercut the 'name' brands. The only way they can do this is to compromise on quality of parts and workmanship. They were always aimed at the casual user who wanted to 'play with the big boys'. If you are are into serious fishing on a regular basis, I would recomend you go with the better quality product.

Greg

xrayxray
17-07-2007, 07:29 AM
Shimano thunnus 16000

cheers mickey

Noelm
17-07-2007, 10:48 AM
geees better not let Rob Paxavanos hear you guys saying his sponsers brand has some problems!

Lucky_Phill
17-07-2007, 03:45 PM
Rob who ?

phill

Yes, Greg I hear ya. This reel was given to me to try a while ago and I had really never heard much about Okumas at that stage.

I have always stated that I use only:-

Penn, Alvey and Shimano, and I suppose if I stick to that I can't really go wrong, hey ?

Cheers

buhky62
17-07-2007, 06:49 PM
Phill i have had a coronado for aprox 5 yrs and i rinse with fresh water after every use as with every reel i own and the only prob i have had with it is the handle has got abit tight through corrosion but no other probs also spray with inox regularly they are at the bottom of range but if looked after aren't bad value for money
thanks ...BOB

Scott nthQld
18-07-2007, 01:33 PM
I bought a small pflueger about 6 months ago to use with light line and sp on bream up here in Townsville. Although it is only 6 months old, it has never missed a beat and iI have caught some quality grunter and jacks on it easily enough. I don't know why but the water up here seems to be a helluva lot saltier than down south and only quality gear seems to last no matter how much maintenance you perform.

Compared to a shimano reel I had previously (same size, can't remember the model though) the pfleuger has been the better reel, I spent more than 3 times the amount on the shimano item yet it didn't even last 6months even thouigh it was meticulasly (spelling) maintained, rinsed, inox after every use.

For the price (about $70 AUS) the pflueger has by far been the best reel I have ever owned and continues to outperform mates reels that have cost a lot more to purchase.

Not knocking shimano, they are an excellent reel and I have many for different outfits but in terms of value for money pflueger will get my vote, so much so that nearly my whole family fishes with them now.