PDA

View Full Version : minn kota or jarvis walker??

lenthals_barra
14-07-2007, 08:37 AM
Hey,
I was just wondeing if anyone has used or owns a jarvis walker watersnake electric outboard?? They are half the price of a minn kota. I was looking at getting a 55lb riptide bowmount minn kota, but a fella at a fishing shop asked if i had heard of the watersnake and he recommended them for the price. I've seen them but never really thought much of them, I dont really know why though. I think my heart was set on a minn kota! Any info on both electrics would be very much appreaciated.

Doug

mad max
14-07-2007, 06:50 PM
Mate if you are gunna be using it flat out in the saltwater...min kota is your answer

I would buy one if i was using it alot in fresh, but i dont think it can handle the saltwater environment as well as the min kotas, i have a 55lb bowmount min kota, its sweet as, takes a beating and its sweet.

the size of the prop on the snake is also smaller, iv heard problems about the locking in system on the snake when travelling aswell.

setting up an electric is an expensive exercise...i wouldnt want to be doing it twice due to poor quality gear.

bayfisher
14-07-2007, 07:22 PM
I have had a water snake and it was ok, personally i would choose a water snake over a Minn kota again too. I cant see the justification for the price difference really. Mine had an issue with the locking mechanism however i believe this is only a problem with the transom mounts (as mine was) and it was easily fixed. I did a fair bit of research before i bought one and there really seems to be as 'many' complaints about minn kottas as water snakes, i guess no one has built the perfect electric yet.

Just my 2 cents
Cheers Chris

Murph77
14-07-2007, 07:37 PM
I have a 54lb bow mount watersnake. It doesn't seem to be built as solid as a minn kota at first glance. However, other than one minor prob with the foot control (which was very quickly rectified by the distributor with excellent after sales service) I've had no issues and love it and I give it an absolute flogging in saltwater. It is bloody tough to justify the price of the minn kota compared to the watersnake.

lenthals_barra
15-07-2007, 08:29 AM
Thanks guys im still undecided though haha

kingtin
15-07-2007, 08:38 AM
I have the 54lb transom mount Watersnake, and it takes some stick and has given me no trouble. Attention has to be paid to oiling up the clamp after washing otherwise the screws corrode. Other than that, no problems.

If it carks it after the 12 month warranty then I'm not going to weep at the price of 399 bucks and if you wait, they are regularly put on special at 25% discount at the Mart.

kev

Top Tips:

Couriers. When delivering parcels to an address your are unfamiliar with, why not check on your GPS system. This will save you the hassle of telling your boss you tried to deliver it but there was nobody in. It would also save the poor sod who had waited in all day from taking another day off work.

lenthals_barra
15-07-2007, 04:19 PM
thanks mate im thinking more a watersnake now

breamnut
15-07-2007, 05:29 PM
i have a 54lb thrust watersnake and for the price it was worth every cent!
i am extremly happy with it and have been using it for 8-10hr days on the water flicking plastics.
i have also cut my fuel bill from $25 a day to $10-$15 a day!
extremly happy with it.
i also work at ##### all sports( fishing section) and ive sold alot of watersnakes without a complaint.

TheSaint
15-07-2007, 06:23 PM
The minn kota is great if you want to hold in current but doing so means you miss out on the nature drift..

The Water snake is good for the price but for almost the same money you can get a 54lb Cable steer motorguide...

bdowdy
15-07-2007, 07:23 PM
WELL I JUST BOUGHT A MINN KOTA 55LB BOW MOUNT ( FANTASTIC). now i bought the minn kota because a mate bought the watersnake and its been back for troubles 7 times and is still there, this isnt aone off as have heard more trouble with them from different people. there is actually people getting hired to just look after these motors because of the problem.ALSO HEARD THAT THEY HAVNT EVEN GOT THE AUSTALIAN ELECTRCAL RATING ?????????? JUST GOING FROM WHAT IVE SEEN AND HEARD. SO ITS UP TO YOU. cheers bdowdy

breamnut
15-07-2007, 07:32 PM
well i take back wat i said about my watersnake!
i just went to put it on my boat for tomorow and the motor release thing has stuffed up and i cant put the motor in the water!>:(>:(>:(
not happy! i am taking it back tomorrow

oscar64
15-07-2007, 07:59 PM
Hey Guys
Timely post thi sonme.

I have a JW Matersnake and really cant fault it. Purchased due to teh rpice difference, even with teh best deal I could hunt down.

Only problem we have had was teh foot control, called up JW, off to teh repairer,I QLD, and back with me in 5 working days.

Really cant fault them for teh price.

What you all have to remember is that the more expensive motors also have problems when they are used in hot, salty conditions a lot. MAte of mine has had 4 mother board sput in his*** other brand*** bow mount.

If you are after a motor to get yo uon teh water within a budget then teh Watersanke is well worth a look.

I make sure mine gets washed down with HOT SOAPY water and get sa spray with Inox or similar EVERY time.

Just my two bobs worth, but I really cant fault the after sales service I got from the guys at JW.

Pete

oscar64
15-07-2007, 08:00 PM
Oh SHITE!

Sorry about all the spelling mistakes.
Spent to long in teh codl yesterday catchin fish. LMAO

The motor is a WATERSNAKE BM54 not a Matersnake as I put in prev message.

OK more beer reqd.

Pete

chas2
15-07-2007, 08:32 PM
Hi all,

I have had a transom mount 34 lb watersnake for the last month... so far pretty pleased with performance.

Only problem i have with it is that when the motor is put in top speed (either forward or reverse) the tilt locking mechanism sometimes jumps out of place.

"Bayfisher" sounds like you may have had a similiar problem? you say it was an easy fix... can you tell me more?

Cheers

Chas