PDA

View Full Version : 25 Mercury problem

sporty1
13-07-2007, 06:24 PM
Hi Guys

while out fishing last weekend I was motoring along at full throttle when suddenly the boat stopped as though the prop had fallen off. Fearing the worst I turned the motor off and raised the leg to find every thing in order. I then restarted the motor and stopped at the nearest bank. On close inspection nothing was obvious. During the rest of the morning when ever the motor tried to get on the plane it began slowly revving higher until the same think happened again. At less than planning speed the motor does not miss a beat, it starts first time as usualand will run as normal all day.

My question is does anyone have any ideas what I should start looking for? has the prop some form of bushing that could have threaded and be causing this or is it likely to be another problem.

I will have to get the motor serviced but need some ideas before I do this.

Any ideas?

BM
13-07-2007, 06:36 PM
Sounds like a slipping prop hub given the description you have provided.

Once you reach high enough rpm it the inertia overcomes the friction of the hub and the assmeby can no longer hold true.

Time for a new prop, or a s/handy.

Cheers

Blackened
13-07-2007, 06:53 PM
G'day

I would be looking at the prop and bushings as BM has mentioned.

Dave

sporty1
13-07-2007, 07:11 PM
Hi Guys

thanks for the replies I only had a solas S/Steel prop fitted 6 months ago. Could this have attributed to the problem or just a coincidence?

BM
13-07-2007, 07:49 PM
Excuse my poor english (hehe) in the last post.......

Put your original prop back on if its any good and see what results.

Cheers

hondaguy
13-07-2007, 10:19 PM
Sounds like bush, Solas repaired mine, might be under warranty as they have looked after me for over 10 years with no problems.

BM
14-07-2007, 07:22 AM
An easy test is to mark the prop and the bush with a suitable water resistance marker. Go for a spin (haha, literally :) :) ) and then see if the mark is still in line.

Cheers

Smithy
15-07-2007, 09:30 PM
Yep it will be a bush. Did two of them on Solas props for my 25 then gave up on them and bought a SS prop for the States. One of those little episodes cost me a couple of grand in a Basspro comp. I traded my 25 hp Solas prop for one for my 60 to get rid of it and never had a problem. At the same time some mates did two in a row on their Yamaha 30 Solas prop. I wouldn't trust a small Solas as far as I could throw it. You might have even ended up with my old one. You never know, you wouldn't think they turn many over in SS in small sizes.

sporty1
05-08-2007, 10:58 AM
Thanks Smithy

this sounds a little worrying as I have only used the boat at Moogreah and the Pin for a total of about 4 hrs running time. Has anyone else experienced any problems with Solas props in the 25 -30 hp range?