PDA

View Full Version : Powerwinch 912 Clutch Maintenance?Plus GOM Body Maintenance!

Chimo
13-07-2007, 05:30 PM
Hi Guys

Any one got any thoughts on the best way to maintain the clutch assembly on these 912's.

Obviously no oil or grease on the clutch plate or steel on either side but what else to dress the clutch to reduce slippage and potential wear?

Thanks in anticipation;

Cheers
Chimo

link to view 912 clutch assembly if you want it. http://www.samallen.com.au/Powerwinch.pdf

charleville
13-07-2007, 05:38 PM
A very light sandpapering will do it for you. Just check that you have not sprayed oil over the plates and if so wash them in kero and dry them properly before you start.

An easy job that works very well. Just don't lose any bits. A pair of el cheapo circlip pliers will come in handy. Mine cost about $1.50 at Bunnings.

Chimo
13-07-2007, 09:41 PM
Charlie thanks for that
Cheers
Chimo -Another happy GOM

PS Hows the cold? Don't let it turn into pneumonia!

charleville
13-07-2007, 09:53 PM
Charlie thanks for that
Cheers
Chimo -Another happy GOM

PS Hows the cold? Don't let it turn into pneumonia!

No probs Chimo. :)

The cold is not good. For some reason this is the year of colds for me. Last year, I went fishing up to six nights per week in winter and only got one cold after attending the Brisbane Boat Show. This year I seem to haev a continuation of colds. Dammit! :(

Thanks for asking. :)

Chimo
14-07-2007, 08:09 AM
Hey Charlie

Now that you have time might I suggest you join a gym and get yourself into a warm pool, swimming a heap of laps ( I do about 40 4 or 5 times a week) and while doing same work on your lungs by doing, say 4 strokes or more between breaths. It amazing how better lung capacity seems to helps to keep colds in the head and out of the chest and hopefully from developing into nasty stuff. I had the pne...thing some years ago and b.ggered if I'm going to get it again. They say that GOM and GOWs end up in trouble from taking puffs for O2 instead of having good lung capacity so when a cold turns into something else you end up potentially in trouble. Its just happening to a good family friend whos 90 with the brain and body of a sixty plus person but whos sport is bridge not swimming like a few others in the neighbourhood. )Man they are an amazing fit old bunch)

60 the new 40......

Some of the Breaker Girls at these gyms are another cool thing esp in the spa M & Gs, after the laps........ Go Charlie....

Cheers
Chimo

charleville
14-07-2007, 10:04 AM
Some of the Breaker Girls at these gyms are another cool thing esp in the spa M & Gs, after the laps

I would usually pay money to not exercise but I see your point. :D

Sailing Breeze
14-07-2007, 07:17 PM
You can grease the bearings a little....the most important thing is not to tighten the clutch up too tight when operating....always use minimium presure to do the job. Once the bearings are flatspotted or damaged ....winch effectiveness diminishes quickly. Most powerwiches fail because of the bearings not spinning, not the effectiveness of the clutch pad itself.

Chimo
14-07-2007, 07:27 PM
Hi Sailing Breeze

I have done the sandpapering and did grease the bearings a very little, the one your referring to, I guess, is the tiny bearing in amongst the washers between the black plastic knob adjuster and the clutch assembly?

I did not notice any apparent damage or flattening of the little bearings but if thats the one to which you refer, I'll pull it out and check it again.

Cheers
Chimo

Sailing Breeze
14-07-2007, 08:21 PM
yes that is the one...if they flatspot they draw power from the electric motor and the winch with load up internally.