PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha Fuel Management Guage

Ron173
13-07-2007, 01:27 PM
G'Day all,

looking to find out some more info on this fuel management from Yamaha,

can anybody who has one expand on the info it displays, not a great deal on yamaha site. says flow, consumption and economy, wondering if it takes into consideration size of tank etc ??

or a link to a pdf manual on it would be great?

Ron

timddo
13-07-2007, 01:58 PM
ron i got quoted $900 for the fuel managment system, expensive hey

Ron173
13-07-2007, 02:18 PM
Yeah similair price here, dealer offering it at cost for me on a new donk, however I would like to know more about it than just a picture on a website before I part with the guts of a grand.

I'd like to know if it can be used to accurately read how much fuel you have left, better than an analogue gauge can.

I had a lowrance system which had instantaneous, not much good, changes too much, but had ltrs used which could be displayed as fuel remaining, after you told it how big tank was.

Now that was good, if yammie management can do that I will buy.

Can anyone expand on this one?

Ron

Any_Weather
13-07-2007, 06:13 PM
Hi Ron, mate I am running the fuel management system on my F150A Yamaha and I personally think it is money well spent. They have a fuel guage that registers in horizontal bars that obviously works with a sender in the tank and it does appear to be reasonably accurate but the best thing is the digital flow guage that shows you exactly how much fuel you have used. You need to know how much fuel you started with but the amount used is perfect. At Fraser this year we used 420lt of petrol and a total of 415lt was put in to bring it back to full. We start with a full tank and then add 60lt drums to maintain a reasonably full tank and then fill it up again at home. That is how accurate it is. It shows litres per hour used but this jumps all over the place and is pretty hard to follow unless you are in dead flat conditions. You can compare km travelled on the other guages and fuel used so you can allow yourself plenty to get home. They are fantastic!!!

Lee

shags101
13-07-2007, 08:01 PM
gee for $900 you could almost buy a new sounder an fit a flow meter in the fuel line to get the info you mentioned. a lot of the new sounders an gps units have those programs installed an i know that the flow meter for navman is $150 just an idea might be an option for you to look at

Ron173
14-07-2007, 03:07 PM
Hi Ron, mate I am running the fuel management system on my F150A Yamaha and I personally think it is money well spent. They have a fuel guage that registers in horizontal bars that obviously works with a sender in the tank and it does appear to be reasonably accurate but the best thing is the digital flow guage that shows you exactly how much fuel you have used. You need to know how much fuel you started with but the amount used is perfect. At Fraser this year we used 420lt of petrol and a total of 415lt was put in to bring it back to full. We start with a full tank and then add 60lt drums to maintain a reasonably full tank and then fill it up again at home. That is how accurate it is. It shows litres per hour used but this jumps all over the place and is pretty hard to follow unless you are in dead flat conditions. You can compare km travelled on the other guages and fuel used so you can allow yourself plenty to get home. They are fantastic!!!

Lee
Thanks mate, thats exactly the sort of feedback I was looking for. I can get it for just over 800, dealer is willing to give it to me at cost as buying a package from him, so sounds good.
I had a setup with a lowrance unit b4, but it was exy and had to buy another node kit to fit it up, on top of sounder it cost bout 400.

The yamaha unit will look great in the dash with the other two, its a few dollars but worth it I think, and in the big picture, not a lot really.

Thanks

Ron

captain rednut
14-07-2007, 06:46 PM
hi ron i dont like mine its on a 4/str yammy and its useless, i troll for marlin all summer and after i launched my new boat and trolled for a bit i noticed it saying i was using 23ltrs per hr and fluxuating at troll speed i rang yammy and they said yes they have trouble with there accuracy at those rpms and they are a guide only! i believe a dipstick was a better investment personally thanks cr

SeaSaw
14-07-2007, 10:13 PM
I have the fuel management on a 4 stroke 225 yammy. Any_weather has described its operation pretty well. I find mine very accurately gives me a readout that is 10% more than the amount of fuel I have actually used. Its not a problem as if I deduct 10% it is always within a couple of litres, so I am confident I know how much fuel I have used.

I find the litres per hour read out to be useless as it jumps all over the place. The km per litre readout is a little more stable and a better indication of your economy anyway.

Cheers,

Mark