PDA

View Full Version : 2nd hand purchase help needed

richyrich
12-07-2007, 10:33 PM
My mate and I are going to buy a 2nd hand rig (around low 20k) for fishing and have found a boat interstate we like. We would get any boat independently assessed so we know what the condition is like etc.

Our main concern is that the engine is a 1998 115hp yammee and the owner says it doesnt have an engine hour gauge but he thinks it has done about 200 hours.

Is it usual for a boat to not be hooked up to the engine hour meter/gauge???

The boat is also a 1998 model so is nearly 10 years old.

How do you know how many true hours it has done, will an independent marine mechanic be able to look at it and tell us roughly if it has only done 200 hours approx??? or should we give it a miss a look for something that has been connected to a engine hour meter/gauge???

cheers

joeT
12-07-2007, 11:05 PM
I'd be more concerned about the condition than the number of hours, but it wouldn't be uncommon for an older motor not to have an hour gauge. Even if there was an hour gauge there's no guarantee its accurate anyway.

Ron173
13-07-2007, 07:19 AM
I agree go on condition, 200 is not a lot in 10yrs so if light use it will show, maybe get compression checked if thats ok, she should be right.

Not sure where you are, but in NSW if you buy interstate it will need a blue slip on the trailer and that applies even if new.

Ron

BM
13-07-2007, 07:53 AM
The multi function gauge should have the hours recorded on it as you scroll through the functions.

200hrs would not be uncommon in Victoria. I have sold boats 20+ yrs old with 200 or less genuine hours. Our boats down here don't get flogged to death like QLD or NSW boats. The reason for this is we don't have as interesting waterways as furhter north and of course our climate is not as good. QLD boats are the highest hour boats.

Get it inspected and if it passes the inspection then great. The hours are not that important. Its how it looks and sounds to a trained ear. Thats what really counts.

Cheers