PDA

View Full Version : tandam or single axle trailer

timddo
12-07-2007, 03:27 PM
Hey guys, a few more weeks until my boat is delivered ( 3 weeks late). i was wondering if i should upgrade the trailer to a tandam. it's only another 60kg's.

the boat should weight 1447kg fully loaded on trailer aggregate mass including motor and gear + fuel, including trailer .. ( very close to the single trailer limit of 1450 thats the standard but have Upgrade to bigger tyres would cost $320 and would tow 1750kg. But to tandam would cost $600 on top and will tow 2tonne.

So should i or should i not. Another $600 isn't that much money, but to go from single to tamdam is heaps after the purchase . Does the tandam trailer tow better on highways or it's a pain the the azze to tow. i know 4 wheels is better than 2.

The boat is only 5.4 meter half cab.

blaze
12-07-2007, 03:49 PM
Hey guys, a few more weeks until my boat is delivered ( 3 weeks late). i was wondering if i should upgrade the trailer to a tandam. it's only another 60kg's.

the boat should weight 1457kg. ( very close to the single trailer limit of 1450) Upgrade to bigger tyres would cost $320, But to tandam would cost $900.

So should i or should i not. Another $600 isn't that much money, but to go from single to tamdam is heaps.

The boat is only 5.4 meter half cab.

Not sure if ya got a typo in that line, but if its even close to the limit go for tandam
cheers
blaze

Greg P
12-07-2007, 03:56 PM
By those numbers you give tandem would be the way to go ::)

Is it already over the load rating for the axle without fuel and play things in the boat ?

timddo
12-07-2007, 04:06 PM
greg, that is including 120kg for fuel and anther 120 for the boat ( fish + gear).

so the single axle trailer will be trate at 1750 ) upgraded springs. While tandam is 2tonne.

Does tamdom tow better than single.?

Greg P
12-07-2007, 04:12 PM
Tim - personally I would go the tire upgrade for short distances and make sure they include a spare. You have plenty up your sleaves in terms of weight and the maintenance will be a lot less on the brakes/tyres etc on the single and leave you with $$$ in the pocket. Tandem may tow better over long distances and you have the safety of load sharing if you have a blow out but it comes at a cost so depends on distances you intend to travel.

Cheers

Greg

orca
12-07-2007, 04:47 PM
Go the tandam,4 is better then 2
when u have a blow out.
cheers orca

finga
12-07-2007, 04:58 PM
I'd be towing a 4 wheeler.
Just to be on the safe side and encase we get some more fish then expected :)

ozscott
12-07-2007, 05:07 PM
Mate - in my opinion a Tandem is the way to go in your case. I reckon when you get close to the limit you have to account for added stuff (extra battery, ice, fuel et etc). I have a 21 foot Vagabond on a dual axle. I had a blow out at 90kph on the Logan Motorway on the passenger side front of the trailer and it wasnt a problem at all (having the Disco helps because its heavy - although not as heavy as the landcruisers). I just pulled over and changed it - if that had been a single axle I hate to think what it might have been like.

It also spreads the weight out nicely and they tow well when properly set up. The only real draw back is that when turning hard it does not pivot nicely like a single axle arrangement - forget about turning it by hand via the drawbar - apart from the weight, they just dont turn in a stationery position without forward motion like a single axle.

Cheers

mjbpjk
12-07-2007, 05:11 PM
I just went through this not that long ago when i built my caravan.

The van fully loaded weighs 1550kg, its getting close to the limit.

there’s a few things you need to consider. And one of the main things is ball weight.
If the total weight of the rig is 1500kg and you have 150kg ball weight ( 10% rec ball loading ) the axle weight is now only 1350 and that’s a reasonable margin.

Manufactures build in margins aswell but don’t rely on these as your rig might be fine when new but what about 12months time.

I travelled 600k straight up the north coast on freeways of nsw several times now and never had any issues.

Also consider that twin axels travel much more stable on poor road conditions but if you think you are going to have success manoeuvring it away from the car you are in for a struggle especially in grass. a good set up single will also travel well providing there is enough ball weight to stop swaying out of control.

Careful selection of parts is also very important.
make sure everything is really rated for what your doing. Lots of trailer mobs use inferior springs imported from India and they wont like the weight.
Check the bearings are suited, and regular maintenance is a must I don’t think Holden’s will do it a ford I think should be ok other wise 6 stud landcrusier set up maybe needed.

Also the idea of galvanising the running gear i don’t much like as the heating effects may effect the strength and properties of axel and springs.

My in-laws work at a galvanising place and I could get most things dipped for nix but chose not to get any of the van chassis done.
I’m friends with a guy who works at a spring shop and he said to put $2.00 away every time I use the boat or van and by the time they wear out ill have enough to buy 2 new sets - he wouldn’t touch gal springs.

Brakes are also an issue as for that sort of weight i would prefer electric but im unsure if they could go on a boat trailer, if going for duel axle bumpers id rather brake both axles.

also make sure you get load rated wheels and good tyres.
i was only towing <1600 but i got tyres rated at 940kg each giving my a fair safety margin.

Investigate all avenues and speak to educated people .
I know little about boat trailers but enough to make me feel comfortable with the van i built.

Remember not to skimp when it comes to safety. one axle should do you fine if its done right.
1000's of $$$$ aint worth Sh!te to you if you or some one you love comes to grief just to save a few bucks.

Just my opinion only.

Cheers Pete

ps i used to ride motorcycles and my protective gear was worth more then 3x's the price of the bike i rode and it payed off when i slid throw an oil slick.

charleville
12-07-2007, 06:26 PM
Are tandems a lot more difficult to manoevre when backin the trainer into a tight spot?

ozscott
12-07-2007, 06:50 PM
Not really mate - just that the wheels scrape and carry on!

Spaniard_King
12-07-2007, 07:50 PM
timmdo,

Mate for me it's a no brainer. You have quoted the rig to be 60kg under the allowable weight for a single axle.

How hard would you say it would be to put an extra 60kg in the boat.. lets see.. a 60litre esky full of fish or water= 60kgs a bag or 2 from the decky.. there tackle boxes and rods.. ya way over... anythin over is OVER and your insurance will be void if tested.

IMO you need a minimum of 100kg to spare. I just went thru the excersise with my new boat and ended up with a trailer to take 2800kgs I tell ya its a bit more than a couple of K too.. breakaways add an extra $3,000 so ya lucky it aint gunna break 2T :P

Pual44
12-07-2007, 07:51 PM
G'day, theres some pretty sound advice from the guys above.

I have had both types of trailers under very similar sized rigs (about the 1400kgs) and have towed them with the same vehicle and have not had any trouble with either. Both did their job well but they were set up well.
As stated above the tandem is more difficult to manouvre in tight places. So if you intend to turn sharply on a lawn be prepared to remove some grass.
The only reason I first went to a single is that I have rented for a while and found that often access to the backyard or somewhere safe to store the boat can be quite hard to get too. So with this in mind I chose a single. Plus I often have to hook the boat up by myself and as said above you can't move a tandem drawbar far to the side for hookup.
Cheers

timddo
12-07-2007, 08:19 PM
thanks guys.
will be getting a tandam trailer.. the hardest part is reversing straight into the carport which i have just build 3.6 meters high. $900 isn't that much considering it's 2 more wheels and more stable.

my other problem is tow vehicle. it will be close to the to the limit of 1590kg max tow. I have installed extra heavy duty springs with polyair bags.

Will be upgrading tow vehicle when finances are available. one thing at a time.