PDA

View Full Version : Washing the boat and salt removal

zzzBarney
12-07-2007, 06:48 AM
I wash my boat on the return from trips, i'm new to boating but have been been getting out every other day. Conditions have been ideal lately.

Getting the boat clean is a bit of a chore when you've been out all day and all you want is a beer.

I have found a handy device to remove all the sand etc that sinks and is difficult to get out the bung hole. I bought one from Kmart reasonably priced, what i'm talking about is a ventury vacum for those 3m blow up pools.

It is excellant, after you washed most of the boat down, replace the bungs and collect some water, hook your hose up to the vacum and suck up all the debris.

A nice clean boat until it dries and you find salt still clinging to the hull and motor.

What's the best way to remove this salt?

finga
12-07-2007, 06:57 AM
sponge, suds, water and elbow grease (not necessarily in that order). :)
That's if you have the water that is. :(
You should be right in Bowen though :)
Washing the boat is part and parcel of owning one...better get used to it :)
Another one to get used to is maintenance :(

SgBFish
12-07-2007, 09:44 AM
Barney first things first.
It is physically impossible to wash down your boat without a beer in your hand.
I bought a Karcher from Supercheap cost me $100. It has a soap hose on it. I then hook it up to my water tank put the soap hose into a bucket of soapy water (car wash) and soap it all up well particularly the trailer and motor. Then blast it off.
Whole process takes about 3 beers. Better still the kids love doing it.
I flush the motor into one of those large blue shells that kids use for sandpits then use this water in the garden.

Scott

Roughasguts
12-07-2007, 09:51 AM
Yep I go along with all the advice, only differance is I use warm to hot soapy car wash.

Tis the warm water that disoves salt.

Playdo98
12-07-2007, 11:16 AM
Agree with Rough guts. Hot Soapy water removes all of the salt deposits from the hull, motor and fishing gear. To save water I place a bucket behind the outboard and collect the water used to flush the motor. This allows for another beer to be sacrificed while the bucket is filled :D

Tailortaker
12-07-2007, 11:37 AM
Those of you that are in the water restricted areas how do you get around that ? I usually use my gerni and soapy water, the gerni is great to clean the carpet to.
Oh and I usually try to make it all last as six pack enen though its only a 3.85 tinnie.
________
Lovely Wendie99 (http://www.lovelywendie99.com/)

zzzBarney
02-08-2007, 06:32 AM
Thanks everyone, it must have been the beer i was missing. The hot soapy girls (wish), water might have had something to do with it.
I've been thinking of gettin a pressure cleaner for a while now guess i'll have to hurry up, save me some elbow grease.