PDA

View Full Version : reviving old teak trimmings

wayneoro
11-07-2007, 07:04 PM
just bought a caribbean baron which has lot of teak obviously sand then what ?

finga
11-07-2007, 07:15 PM
a product called Marine Teak Oil from Norglass

peterbo3
11-07-2007, 09:03 PM
I will run with Finga. Two pack clear finish topcoats look great for a while. After that they look shitful. They need to be sanded back every couple of years & redone. The oils may not be as shiny to start with but they hang in well & usually only need a recoat with fresh oil with little or no surface prep.
Timber will always need some work but try to minimise what is required.

on-one
11-07-2007, 10:01 PM
I've been doing some of the timber on mine and a cheap heat gun from bunnings gives a much better finish than sanding - although I've only used it on wood I can remove from the boat

finga
12-07-2007, 06:23 AM
The Norglass stuff has a light varnish in it so you do get a shine after a heap of coats and it doesn't stay sticky for ages like some of the others.
Sounds silly but I use it on my butts....rod butts that is :)
Sometimes I use a product called marine priming oil from natural oil company (I think) at Byron if the wood is really dry and starting to split.

wayneoro
12-07-2007, 10:50 AM
Cheers Guys Oil It Is Ta

tunaticer
12-07-2007, 02:24 PM
I would be removing all the existing varnish or shellac or whatever it is and steel wool scrub the timber to remove any little fibres after sanding. Then i would take a run down to a gun shop and buy some Birchwood Casey Tru-oil. This is the stuff that is used on the majority of the really high quality custom guns you can buy. Each day give it a quick rub over with the steel wool again just to make sure no dust has settled into the last coat then wipe over with a dry rag then a Tru-oil soaked rag again.
6 coats and your teak will shine better than any woodwork you will see in any stores and the finish will outlast you.

It may be a time consuming job lasting 6 or 7 days for an hour or so each day but the results are simply amazing.

Jack.

wayneoro
12-07-2007, 06:11 PM
tunaticer you beaut just what i was looking for thanks alot