PDA

View Full Version : Times are changing

juju
11-07-2007, 05:38 PM
Going over the pine rivers bridge this arvo, there was a guy standing up on his casting deck of his boat flicking lures.(could have been a ausfish ).likely sps....electric on as well...couldnt help but think how only a few years ago you would never see that.......we are really changing our ways...

alleycat
11-07-2007, 05:50 PM
Its a great revelation, best thing for the enviroment we could have, the whole mindset of many who fish is too appreciate the angling and the hunt and catch on super light gear and then release them, some will dissgree but its a sustainable future for fishing, and its fun.

Marlin_Mike
11-07-2007, 05:51 PM
Times change all right.

I remember an old guy, Ol Harry at Culburra, he used to go miles out in a 12ft bondwood dinghy, old 9.9 johnno and his anchor was a hessian bag of sand. Only lines he and my grandfather used were old wooden hand casters with 40lb line. And they used land marks and found the spots no problems

Mike

manchild
11-07-2007, 07:26 PM
Time sure changed mate.Long gone the cokebottle and lines.
Also Alleycat ,fishing with light gear puts unnecessery stress on the fish,so might as well keep it as its gonna die most likely.Sorry didnt meant to hijack the tread.
George

finga
11-07-2007, 07:31 PM
Gees I must be old....or lazy.....or both
I use an Alvey mostly, no electric, sitdown to fish and use bait...
No wonder I love it my way. Seems like too much work and way too many things to worry about the other 'new' way.

alleycat
11-07-2007, 08:30 PM
Also Alleycat ,fishing with light gear puts unnecessery stress on the fish,so might as well keep it as its gonna die most likely.Sorry didnt meant to hijack the tread.
George

Hi george, i mean light braid lines, i use 8lb fireline for snapper and a heap of drag as it breaks at near 18lb i reckon so no i dont think i wear them to death.

jackextracter
11-07-2007, 08:50 PM
GeorgeIt all depends on the fish species it dose not happen to all.

manchild
11-07-2007, 08:50 PM
Not a problem mate.Even if you did thats your business,just pointed it out in case of misunderstanding.
cheers
George

Nowhere Bob
13-07-2007, 10:22 AM
I have heard many times of Longtail Tuna worked to death by sport fishers.
Also the offshore guys who blow swim bladders on the long haul up.
I recently jagged a little bream in the eye with a trebble on a lure - released but you have to wonder how long he lasted.
I guess by-catch mortality is part of our game, if you can accept it [like me] then fish on, if you can't then take up Rugby. At least then you only hurt other sentient beings who have chosen to place themselves at risk.
Not looking to start a flame war or cause offence, I just think that adults make decisions on the information available. Children deny factors.

jackextracter
13-07-2007, 12:57 PM
The types of fish that have a hard time getting to swin off ok, that i know of are big long tails and big jewies there would be a few more also but it dose not happen with all fish and i know for a fact cause a mate of mine house backs on to a river and for a while he had set up an above ground pool and was pumping water into it from the river and any thing he caught he would bring home and chuck em in there, and they all seemed alright and after a few weeks he was hand feeding the bream a 50cm jack a few trevs, cod and snapper and not one died just goes to show you after being caught and then been put in a strange enviroment they were still sweet as,and also what about the long fights with the marlin dont they get taged and re captured?

mattooty
13-07-2007, 06:02 PM
The larger pelagic fish, or in fact the larger of any fish are generally the ones that suffer the most on the lighter lines as it uses up ALL their energy.
Imagine how much effort you would have to put in on a, say 6kg snapper to get it to the surface and docile on 8lb string compared to a small squire. The squire just doesnt have the power to really exert itself, where as the larger snapper pushes and pushes till, it can only be brought up using minimum effort.
Alot of the larger marlin have high mortality rates. There are reefs down at south west rocks in central nsw, where divers have seen and photographed literlaly hundreds of dead marlin with tags in them.
But in saying that how many of us have caught bream without any dorsal fin due to nets or shark bites.
Matt

manchild
13-07-2007, 06:07 PM
Like i said i didnt meant to hijack the tread:-/ Sorry Juju.