PDA

View Full Version : Hastings blank FINISHED....almost.

roz
11-07-2007, 03:15 PM
This is my first opportunity since the Rod Building Weekend to post a report about the new boat rod, but firstly I must say a big thankyou again to Sue & Greg for opening up their home for us. I think they may well be stuck with the rod building orphans whether they like it or not.

Also not forgetting Stuart & David for giving up their time.

It was great to see familiar faces again as well as meeting some new converts.

The blank I brought along was a Hastings Challenger DHX URC60HXF 10-15kg very fast taper, produced in the USA. Starting to appreciate the very high quality of this brand of rod blanks.

The guides were all ALPS, XXNZG 316 stainless, the gimbal & reel seat also ALPS, I find it really hard to go past cork grips, mainly for their longevity. Thanks to Graham for putting together a great looking rear grip for the rod.

I finally managed to drag myself away from fish patterns, after seeing Jan’s scale wrap I knew I had to have one too!!!!

Never having attempted an eight axis pattern before made me a little apprehensive & the words of wisdom from the higher authority, “to be very careful” were not lost. THANKS VOLVO.

Never fear!!! I have the Visual Wrap software, and it is by far the most valuable aid to achieving a great cross wrap.

If anyone out there wants to get into some of the more complicated designs, or the simple ones for that matter, get yourself this program.

It totally eliminates the margin of error when transferring the points for the lay-out threads, and even shows the order in which the threads are placed. I would have had an up hill battle getting around this scale pattern without it.

Because of the Scale pattern, I decided to keep the bindings on the guides simple, at the same time allowing the quality of the ALPS guides to stand out.

Now the rod is all done!!! Bring on October!!!

Oh! One more thing, still waiting for the tip guide.

Cheers roz.

finga
11-07-2007, 03:50 PM
Coming up a treat eh matey :)
Those guides look the part. Very spiffy
I have to get one of those reel seats to try. They also look industrial grade :)
So when is the tip coming??

I have the same blank to make to make up. I hope it comes up as nice as yours did.
Cheers then
Scott :)

DR
11-07-2007, 03:59 PM
very nice Roz... love the look of the reel seat & the fact that you used 'BLUES' for the decorative wrap;D

roz
11-07-2007, 04:15 PM
Thanks Scott,

Yep, I am very happy with the end result, I never usually lash out on guides, but since is was a Hasings I though why not.

Hey Dave,

Next time it might just be a maroon wrap.... now that would definately be a winner!!!!!

cheers r.

Lucky_Phill
11-07-2007, 05:27 PM
Looks good Roz. I saw the rod at the RBW without the epoxy. It has come together nicely, another great job.

Tips........yes well.

Phill

finga
11-07-2007, 05:33 PM
Tips........yes well.

Phill
It's all coming clear now...now I know what the holdup is :-/

sid_fishes
11-07-2007, 06:34 PM
roz, mate it looks great, so now go catch fish with it. and i dont care weather you won or not those blue colours look great ian

blaze
11-07-2007, 08:12 PM
Hi Roz
I like the look of the ALPS reel seat and had one put on the custom Loomis I had made (I know, shuolda done it myself, chickened out), any way it looks nice but I am not sure if I like the feel of it in the hand, guess time will tell the story.
By the way
Nice rod, must be built with the patience of an angel
cheers
blaze

sid_fishes
11-07-2007, 08:18 PM
roz ,an angel yeah right sid

jan
11-07-2007, 08:27 PM
Hi Roz,

Great looking rod you should be very happy with it. I like the inlay in the cork grip as I have just finished two grips with the same colours for an NV7. See visualWrap wasn't as hard as you thought :) .
Cheers, Jan.

finga
12-07-2007, 05:54 AM
VisualWrap is brilliant...what more can be said. :)
That's once I learnt how to drive it dum-a-se I am:-/

Hey Roz....do you want me to go and up the suppliers of the tip???
I have a fair idea where he'll be this week-end...I can take the emasculators and give him a fright if you like ;D

roz
12-07-2007, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the kind words of encouragement Blaze & Jan.

As for Mr Vicious...ya better watch it pal!!!

Scott,

Maaaaate... what a brilliant idea! But if you don't mind jumping on a plane to the US, because they came from Acid Rod.

As for Viswrap, I still need help. Yes I'm pathetic with stuff like that. Jan helped me out with it before I went away, but I managed to stuff up the end bit.... I'm good at that, I had to guess some of the measurements for the print out.

cheers roz.

sid_fishes
12-07-2007, 05:27 PM
what did i do ??

sid_fishes
12-07-2007, 05:28 PM
you live there you should support them , i live here and i do SID

sandyd
13-07-2007, 06:35 AM
Nice work Roz would never know you stuffed up as it looks great too me.

roz
13-07-2007, 07:16 PM
Nice work Roz would never know you stuffed up as it looks great too me.

Hi Sandy,

Well I really didn't stuff up on the binding, but I did stuff up on the Viswrap & had to wing a few of the measurements, so I was extremely lucky it closed perfectly.

Looking forward to showing you in October. Are you bringing an 'own built rod' to the M&G??.

Might give you a quick call over the weekend.

cheers roz.

sandyd
14-07-2007, 06:09 AM
Hi Sandy,

Looking forward to showing you in October. Are you bringing an 'own built rod' to the M&G??.

cheers roz.
I am sure I will Roz and I will bring the lap top just in case we need it. I am still working on my rod from the M&G week end, just don't seem to get enough time at the moment as there is not enough good light once I get home from work and I'm trying to get the reno's finished so that maybe we can put the house on the market.

Bearclaw
15-07-2007, 07:07 AM
Roz,
Looking good.
Now you can plan something for that pink girly blank I gave you.

roz
15-07-2007, 09:43 PM
Roz,
Looking good.
Now you can plan something for that pink girly blank I gave you.

I'm just doing a wrap for Graham, I will then focus my attention to the girly pink blank. Want to have it ready for my next cobia hunt.

Hey! Wouldn't you just hate that!!!!

cheers roz.

finga
16-07-2007, 06:30 AM
Funny thing about those pink and purple blanks...
I don't mind them :)
I was thinking of getting a purple one and the cook wants a pink one so I can do a frangipany wrap on it.
At least I know no bugger is going to pinch it. No bugger would be able to put up with the ribbings from their mates.
Me...I couldn't give a toss (and besides I have no mates) and the rod would be easy to find in Cash converters if some lowlife scumbag did pinched it.

I brought purple extension leads for that reason when I was working. Easy to find and no other bugger wanted them :)

jan
16-07-2007, 11:29 AM
Yeah thats why I went the multicoloured Polycraft Tuff Tender as there are none this colour down my way so no bastid is likely to steal it plus its prob. too small for them anyway, lol.
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u192/rodsbyjan/IMG_0009.jpg
Cheers, Jan.

sid_fishes
17-07-2007, 06:33 PM
finga, quote i have no mates GOODONYA

finga
18-07-2007, 06:34 AM
finga, quote i have no mates GOODONYA
True story ;)
Well at least any mates that are game to rib me...cranky bugger I am ;D

Hey Jan, you could put a picture of a Phoenix on the side of your boat with colours like that. It'll look good with the front of a Phoenix coming out of the red into the orange. :)
I have to find one of the little suckers for my brother (read that as me :D) to fish the canals.

finga
18-07-2007, 06:36 AM
Roz....what's the story with the holdup??
I was looking at their site and some of the gear isn't too bad.
I have to see my local supplier first the see just what is available.

roz
18-07-2007, 02:37 PM
I wish I knew Scott,

I put an order in with Phill's which turned up minus the tips...well they call them tops over there, anyway, Phill is stilll trying to get a response from them, but they are usually very prompt.

I want to place an order for some goodies in about a months time, so if you want to get on board PM me.

r.

finga
18-07-2007, 07:58 PM
I wish I knew Scott,

I put an order in with Phill's which turned up minus the tips...well they call them tops over there, anyway, Phill is stilll trying to get a response from them, but they are usually very prompt.

I want to place an order for some goodies in about a months time, so if you want to get on board PM me.

r.
Double bugger eh :-/
I knew Phil would have been the problem ;)
They're probaly waiting for another order from you to send the lot together
Beauty in the other matter matey. :)
I'll probably need some more gear by then :-[
Are you going to get a light blank then to put a u-beaut nancy fancy butt on?? ::)

I just did another wrappy thingo on a small knobby knocker rod. I'll bung some pictures when it's all finished.
Cheers Scott :)